is the youth vote even more urban-rural polarized?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:01:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  is the youth vote even more urban-rural polarized?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: is the youth vote even more urban-rural polarized?  (Read 719 times)
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 04, 2022, 05:12:21 PM »
« edited: October 04, 2022, 05:21:02 PM by lets go brezhnev »

Now take it with a grain of salt because the youth don't really vote and it very well may be the most politically active (usually the left) that votes. But implying that the trends hold up and the current youth continue voting 60-40 dem - I have a hard time seeing the dems actually expanding the map that much. Like I have a hard time seeing WI-7 getting that much better. My guess is that that number is coming from basically any county over 100,000 people going dem and any county over 500,000 people going at least 60-40 dem.
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2022, 09:17:27 PM »

I don’t know the specifics, but I do know that even the youth vote is not “Safe D” in all locations; in fact, how parents vote may have an effect on youth political preferences in many cases. For example, some states conduct mock elections involving school-aged children, and these results have often mirrored actual election results - in 2020, mock elections among school-aged children in Iowa and Montana nailed the actual winners of the statewide contests in those two states that year.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2022, 12:49:27 PM »

I don’t know the specifics, but I do know that even the youth vote is not “Safe D” in all locations; in fact, how parents vote may have an effect on youth political preferences in many cases. For example, some states conduct mock elections involving school-aged children, and these results have often mirrored actual election results - in 2020, mock elections among school-aged children in Iowa and Montana nailed the actual winners of the statewide contests in those two states that year.

If anything, it's become steadily less age-based over the past 5-10 years.  Biden rebounded with the elderly and while Dems still win the youth vote, it's way off from Obama's 2008 margin. 
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -1.04

P P
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2022, 02:50:12 PM »

I remember that in 2016, my school held a mock election that Trump won (55-45 I believe), but the town itself voted for Trump 60-33
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2022, 01:08:33 AM »

It is much more polarized by gender and education, but I'm not sure it's actually any more polarized by urban/rural than what 'more polarized by education' would imply. (The education gap between urban and rural areas is greater among the youth, though). It is notably less polarized by race.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies