2016: Incumbent Vice President Al Gore runs again
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:10:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  2016: Incumbent Vice President Al Gore runs again
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2016: Incumbent Vice President Al Gore runs again  (Read 670 times)
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 30, 2022, 01:39:11 PM »

I read that Al Gore was actually under consideration for his old job very briefly in 2008, or at least some journalists floated an Obama/Gore ticket. What if he instead picked Gore while Biden is just Secretary of State. How does Al Gore perform in 2016 (primaries, and if nominated general election) for the second time after eight years as vice president? Does he finally win the Oval Office?
Agonized-Statism
Anarcho-Statism
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -9.10, S: -5.83

P
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2022, 01:46:36 PM »

I'd be more interested to see what would happen to Hillary after losing such a close primary in 2008 and then being passed up for Secretary of State.
Blow by blow, the passion dies
LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2022, 02:41:05 PM »

I'd be more interested to see what would happen to Hillary after losing such a close primary in 2008 and then being passed up for Secretary of State.
She probably remains in the Senate as a hawkish moderate
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2022, 10:54:25 AM »

As HRC was a very unpopular candidate, someone slightly more popular than her could have won the election. A lot of her unpopularity came from years of GOP slanders, and I'm not convinced that would have stuck on Al Gore the same way. I think he wins, but the GOP keeps congress, preventing him from any major accomplishments legislatively. Reasonable to assume he loses in 2020 to another R-candidate. So basically a 1988-1992 redux.

✓ Vice President Al Gore (D-TN)/Senator Elizabeth Warren (D-MA): 279 EVs.; 49.4%
Mr. Donald J. Trump (R-NY)/Governor Mike Pence (R-IN): 259 EVs.; 46.1%
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2022, 01:41:37 PM »

She probably remains in the Senate as a hawkish moderate

Yeah, and I guess she runs again in 2016. If Al Gore is the sitting vice president though, she may not win the nomination.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2022, 03:55:59 AM »

Even if Gore did serve as Vice President for eight more years, I imagine he would have done so as part of a deal with Obama in which he didn't run for President in 2016 (which probably was what Joe Biden originally agreed to, tried to back out of, and ultimately honored after Beau died).
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies