Outrage in Iran after woman dies in police custody after arrest over "improper" hijab
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 09, 2024, 08:48:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Outrage in Iran after woman dies in police custody after arrest over "improper" hijab
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8
Author Topic: Outrage in Iran after woman dies in police custody after arrest over "improper" hijab  (Read 11882 times)
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: October 15, 2022, 10:10:32 PM »

What’s wrong with idea that if privatization = right wing, then nationalization = left wing?

Putin nationalized the oil and gas industry. Therefore, nationalization = right-wing.

There’s a reason why Putin isn’t seriously considered right wing by most people, actions such as this being one of them.

Wat. The authoritarian right internationally adores Putin's government in Russia.

Really? How so in a way that we don’t see leftists such as PSOL “adoring” Putin’s government?

Russian Conservativism doesn't assume " smaller " government ala Thatcherite/Reagan Anglo Saxon Conservativism. In fact, they see neoliberalization as being progressive, globalist.
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #126 on: October 16, 2022, 01:21:09 AM »
« Edited: October 16, 2022, 01:27:39 AM by TheReckoning »

Not that there's an ounce of genuine desire to learn there, but the heart of left-wing ideology is empowering institutions to create social equality, not to concentrate power. Suggesting that left wing means nationalization is to suggest that an absolute monarch (supporters of which literally gave the right wing its name) is left wing. It's genuinely beneath anyone on a political forum to be this ignorant, though I guess there's nothing beneath someone who champions Nazi war criminals.

Iran's regime seeks to concentrate power in few hands - its own - for the purpose of exploitation and rape. Here's hoping the people they've tormented for so long give them what tyrants deserve.

You can be an absolute dictator, concentrating power in the hands of a few, and still be strongly left wing. The Soviet Union was such an example.

Like if nationalization is concentrating power in the hands of a few, therefore right wing, then privatization is dispersing power, and is therefore left wing.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #127 on: October 16, 2022, 01:22:36 AM »

Not that there's an ounce of genuine desire to learn there, but the heart of left-wing ideology is empowering institutions to create social equality, not to concentrate power. Suggesting that left wing means nationalization is to suggest that an absolute monarch (supporters of which literally gave the right wing its name) is left wing. It's genuinely beneath anyone on a political forum to be this ignorant, though I guess there's nothing beneath someone who champions Nazi war criminals.

Iran's regime seeks to concentrate power in few hands - its own - for the purpose of exploitation and rape. Here's hoping the people they've tormented for so long give them what tyrants deserve.

You can be an absolute dictator, concentrating power in the hands of a few, and still be strongly left wing. The Soviet Union was such an example.

Every country has a different political history, and therefore the " American " version of Left vs. Right can't be applied to them.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #128 on: October 16, 2022, 05:19:34 AM »

If state control of the economy and nothing else is all that determines whether a particular leader or government is left or right-wing, then noted left-wing luminaries would include Louis XIV, the Emperor Augustus and Rameses II.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #129 on: October 16, 2022, 06:25:08 AM »

I still don’t think that the Iranian government is close to falling. A clear majority of Iranians are against these protests and want the IRGC and the Basij to start seriously cracking some skulls open. Granted, popular support for the Iranian government probably decreased from 75% down to about 60% if I had to guess. Once order is restored, public support in Iran for the government will go back up to around 90%.

Are you just going to assert that or do you have something to back that up?

I suppose the "basis" would be that "outside the big cities" most still support the regime.

Is that actually true, though?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #130 on: October 16, 2022, 08:03:41 AM »

I suppose the "basis" would be that "outside the big cities" most still support the regime.

No, there have been protests and attacks on government symbols, enforcers etc. in provincial areas as well.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #131 on: October 16, 2022, 09:19:41 AM »

No, there have been protests and attacks on government symbols, enforcers etc. in provincial areas as well.
That is interesting to know. I still don’t think that the Iranian government is close to falling and also think that China will send in around 500,000 People’s Liberation Army troops to Iran to help Ebrahim Raisi and the IRGC restore order. China losing influence over Iran would be the equivalent of California or New York leaving the US.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #132 on: October 16, 2022, 10:53:40 AM »

Do they even have that level of strategic transport capacity? That's a huge level of commitment.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #133 on: October 16, 2022, 11:45:15 AM »

Do they even have that level of strategic transport capacity? That's a huge level of commitment.
I think China could conceivably move 500,000 troops to Iran utilizing aircraft and amphibious troop carriers. Xi will do everything conceivable to prevent the Iranian government from collapsing, as China will lose the buckle to the Belt and Road initiative if the Iranian government falls and Reza Pahlavi comes to power.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #134 on: October 16, 2022, 12:02:24 PM »

Do you think he'd actually come back as a constitutional monarch?
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #135 on: October 16, 2022, 12:07:50 PM »

Also, how many people actually want the Pahlavis back?
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #136 on: October 16, 2022, 12:39:13 PM »

If state control of the economy and nothing else is all that determines whether a particular leader or government is left or right-wing, then noted left-wing luminaries would include Louis XIV, the Emperor Augustus and Rameses II.

Noted leftist screed the Deuteronomistic History
Cashew
United States

« Reply #137 on: October 16, 2022, 02:06:34 PM »

I think China could conceivably move 500,000 troops to Iran utilizing aircraft and amphibious troop carriers. Xi will do everything conceivable to prevent the Iranian government from collapsing, as China will lose the buckle to the Belt and Road initiative if the Iranian government falls and Reza Pahlavi comes to power.

Nonsense.

The overwhelming majority of Iranians want them back, at least if you ask the monarchist exiles on twitter.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #138 on: October 16, 2022, 02:46:41 PM »

I read a survey that pegged support for monarchy restoration in Iran at about 25%. About 56% support the Islamic Republic and 19% support a regular democracy.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #139 on: October 16, 2022, 02:57:43 PM »

Nonsense.

The overwhelming majority of Iranians want them back, at least if you ask the monarchist exiles on twitter.
Most Iranian Americans born before 1985 of after 1999 and about 22% of Iranians. From my experience, most Iranian Americans born between 1985 and 1999 support the Islamic Republic moreso than their parents and largely want it to remain intact with some minor reforms like maybe having the Supreme Leader be an elected position or giving more rights to religious minorities and women. I am friends with an Iranian American woman born in 1991 who is aligned with the neoconservative wing of the Iranian Principlist movement despite not being super religious herself. My friend wants the Iranian government to brutally suppress the protests and launch major purges against ethnic and religious minorities in Iran.

I am unsure about the political views of Iranian Americans who came to the US before 1979, as only about 100,000 Iranian Americans lived in the US back then as opposed to the 3 million or so in the US today.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #140 on: October 16, 2022, 03:31:04 PM »

Nonsense.

Most Iranian Americans born before 1985 of after 1999 and about 22% of Iranians. From my experience, most Iranian Americans born between 1985 and 1999 support the Islamic Republic moreso than their parents and largely want it to remain intact with some minor reforms like maybe having the Supreme Leader be an elected position or giving more rights to religious minorities and women. I am friends with an Iranian American woman born in 1991 who is aligned with the neoconservative wing of the Iranian Principlist movement despite not being super religious herself. My friend wants the Iranian government to brutally suppress the protests and launch major purges against ethnic and religious minorities in Iran.

I am unsure about the political views of Iranian Americans who came to the US before 1979, as only about 100,000 Iranian Americans lived in the US back then as opposed to the 3 million or so in the US today.

Why the hell are you friends with that chick, she sounds like a major B, itch
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #141 on: October 17, 2022, 01:28:50 PM »
« Edited: October 17, 2022, 01:31:53 PM by TheReckoning »

So if nationalization isn’t necessarily a left wing policy, then is the privatization that Pinochet pushed for not right wing, either?

It’s important to note that I feel like a lot of people here think that since Iran is a theocracy, it must be right wing, since in the U.S.A, more religious types tend to be associated with the political right. This leads to absurd conclusions on any comparative analysis, though, since it would imply that the Taiping Heavingly Kingdom was a far-right state.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #142 on: October 17, 2022, 01:35:47 PM »

“Pinochet was not right wing” is not a very winning argument.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #143 on: October 18, 2022, 04:59:38 AM »

“Pinochet was not right wing” is not a very winning argument.

Almost a reductio ad absurdum of the "no true Scotsman" approach.
Lourdes
United States

« Reply #144 on: October 18, 2022, 05:44:39 PM »
« Edited: October 18, 2022, 05:47:58 PM by Lourdes »

Iranian climber Elnaz Rekabi, just days after competing without hijab for the first time, has reportedly gone missing after she said she planned to return to Iran.

Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #145 on: October 19, 2022, 04:14:01 AM »

She turned up at the airport in Tehran and has "apologised".

I don't get why this regime has such a problem with women showing their hair.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #146 on: October 19, 2022, 08:05:41 AM »

Men won't be able to control their lust if women don't "dress modestly", you know.
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #147 on: October 19, 2022, 11:45:24 PM »

Iran is extremely culturally conservative and has a mostly centrally planned economy.

Really? What aspects of Iranian culture did the Ayatollahs seek to conserve?
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #148 on: October 20, 2022, 12:01:43 AM »

"Bomb, bomb, bomb Iran..."

The older I get, the more neocon I get.

I don't think this is a coincidence.

After all, there's only so long you can watch the same cycle of an evil regime harshly oppressing its people, the people try in vain to rise up, only to be brutally crushed so things just get even worse, before you start to wonder if maybe we should intervene and indeed might even have a duty to intervene as the most powerful country in the world. I know if the US ever went full Handmaid's Tale, I'd want Canada and the UK to bomb, bomb, bomb the US!
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #149 on: October 20, 2022, 09:26:57 AM »

"Bomb, bomb, bomb Iran..."

The older I get, the more neocon I get.

I don't think this is a coincidence.

After all, there's only so long you can watch the same cycle of an evil regime harshly oppressing its people, the people try in vain to rise up, only to be brutally crushed so things just get even worse, before you start to wonder if maybe we should intervene and indeed might even have a duty to intervene as the most powerful country in the world. I know if the US ever went full Handmaid's Tale, I'd want Canada and the UK to bomb, bomb, bomb the US!

And do what, kill those women?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies