The Virgin Satan vs. The Chad Jesus Christ
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 10:29:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  The Virgin Satan vs. The Chad Jesus Christ
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Virgin Satan vs. The Chad Jesus Christ  (Read 712 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 18, 2022, 10:46:30 PM »
« edited: September 18, 2022, 11:59:55 PM by You'll taste it, you'll taste it in time »

Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2022, 11:21:23 PM »

Imagine following Satan, a guy who gets thrown into the lake of fire with his followers.
Lexii, harbinger of chaos and sexual anarchy
Alex
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2022, 08:42:44 AM »

This may officially be the the lamest meme I've ever seen
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2022, 10:29:24 AM »

Relevant again:

Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2022, 12:12:54 PM »

This reminds me of what seems to me the most remarkable fact about Christianity: that it has no single theory of atonement. Christology, the Trinity etc. were argued over, viciously, for centuries, but why Jesus' sacrifice was necessary and how it was supposed to work has never been an important theological issue to most Christians, outside of a handful of theologians like Calvin. It's just been taken as a bare fact that the crucifixion happened and explaining its mechanics isn't that important.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2022, 12:27:50 PM »

This may officially be the the lamest meme I've ever seen
So even more than this?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2022, 12:59:48 PM »

This reminds me of what seems to me the most remarkable fact about Christianity: that it has no single theory of atonement. Christology, the Trinity etc. were argued over, viciously, for centuries, but why Jesus' sacrifice was necessary and how it was supposed to work has never been an important theological issue to most Christians, outside of a handful of theologians like Calvin. It's just been taken as a bare fact that the crucifixion happened and explaining its mechanics isn't that important.
Huh? It's a hotly debated topic. For example Catholicism states that one receives the benefit of Christ's atonement via the sacraments which is exactly why some fundamentalists attack them because they believe that renders Christ's sacrifice as insufficient.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2022, 03:41:36 PM »
« Edited: September 19, 2022, 03:50:00 PM by Statilius the Epicurean »

Huh? It's a hotly debated topic. For example Catholicism states that one receives the benefit of Christ's atonement via the sacraments which is exactly why some fundamentalists attack them because they believe that renders Christ's sacrifice as insufficient.

Well this is my entire point: that's sacramental theology, not a theory of atonement. Whether one receives the benefits of Christ's atonement through sacraments or not says nothing about the mechanism of Christ's own atonement. That there's been more argument between denominations over how sacraments work for us than the nature of the crucifixion (again though maybe excepting Calvin, who did take a dogmatic approach to atonement that was influential) is what I think is remarkable about Christianity.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies