Railroad union megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 02:03:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Railroad union megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Author Topic: Railroad union megathread  (Read 3038 times)
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2022, 08:35:24 PM »

block the strike! I DO NOT CARE for these railway workers trying to wreck the entire economy.

Why is the left always willing to wreck the entire economy over virtue signaling?

I did concede to the left that there is not much we can do domestically about inflation at this point.. but with strikes and covid they are 100% WRONG.

Why do you assume that the striking railworkers are 'the left'?

Union bosses are usually left wing but even if they were not I wouldn’t care . Strikes that threaten the economy this way should be broken up

How about we just give the workers what they're asking for so that there's no need for a strike?

The median income of railroad workers is 65k :

https://www.bls.gov/ooh/transportation-and-material-moving/railroad-occupations.htm

jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2022, 08:36:11 PM »

block the strike! I DO NOT CARE for these railway workers trying to wreck the entire economy.

Why is the left always willing to wreck the entire economy over virtue signaling?

I did concede to the left that there is not much we can do domestically about inflation at this point.. but with strikes and covid they are 100% WRONG.

Union bosses are usually left wing but even if they were not I wouldn’t care . Strikes that threaten the economy this way should be broken up

How about we just give the workers what they're asking for so that there's no need for a strike?

I can not believe they are so selfish as to be willing to wreck the entire economy!
new_patomic

« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2022, 08:43:19 PM »

https://www.bls.gov/ooh/transportation-and-material-moving/railroad-occupations.htm

The attendance policies are so draconian that they will dock workers who are forced to miss a day because they got into a car accident.

new_patomic

« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2022, 08:53:57 PM »

During my time on the Board, I have raised concerns about the primacy Class I railroads have placed on lowering their operating ratios and satisfying their shareholders even at the cost of their customers.  Part of that strategy has involved cutting their work force to the bare bones in order to reduce costs.  Over the last 6 years, the Class Is collectively have reduced their work force by 29% – that is about 45,000 employees cut from the payrolls.  In my view, all of this has directly contributed to where we are today – rail users experiencing serious deteriorations in rail service because, on too many parts of their networks, the railroads simply do not have a sufficient number of employees.

The industry has eliminated almost a third of its positions in just the last six years, even as arguably the amount of freight that we need our railways to move has grown each year bar the pandemic.

It shouldn't have to be spelled out how cutting all flexibility from the system is a direct threat to both the economy and our national security. That isn't the workers fault, that's management.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2022, 08:58:34 PM »

They need to wait a little after the elections to do this BS strike, but wrecking the economy would still be inexcusable.

Reminds me of when many liberals told me their health is more important than winning some "damn election" in regards to Virginia-2021. Guess what.. it wouldn't have taken much of a swing at all to have three statewide Democratic winners and a Democratic Hod... elections have consequences. Fortunately, Youngkin and Sears are far from the worst Republicans.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2022, 09:00:13 PM »

Walsh is a lifelong union guy and seems like a straight shooter. I hope he can handle this.
philly09

« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2022, 09:20:28 PM »

Still going.

Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2022, 09:23:03 PM »

Because if there are no restrictions we'll get a reverse Gilded Age.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2022, 09:45:20 PM »

Do not let this cost Democrats key Senate races in Arizona, Pennsylvania, Georgia, and Wisconsin

Winning those races does more for than labor than these selfish railroad workers striking will do.

I've been told riots won't hurt Democrats. They did!

I've been told school closures wouldn't hurt Democrats. They did!

Now we have this!
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2022, 09:58:02 PM »

Yep. That's what Congress must do.

Also, I do think its amusing how this stuff always comes up right before elections.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2022, 10:35:53 PM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taft%E2%80%93Hartley_Act#Strikes

The Act also authorized the President to intervene in strikes or potential strikes that create a national emergency

Which of course was always meant by its authors to act against the union to break the strike. Would be awesome irony if it were used in a reverse fashion here.

I mean such a strike would cause an economic crises so yah it should be broken up . This is not bycomparable to workers from Amazon hypothetically walking out at all

Perhaps instead of "breaking up" tbe strike because it would create such National repercussions, the law should accordingly be used twist the arms of the railroad into settling with the unions?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2022, 10:38:44 PM »

And the strike has literally nothing to do with pay level. Workers are satisfied with their pay, but the hours and emergency 24/7 call that they have to be on is beyond grueling.

Rather typical that you haven't even begun to read the reasons behind this strike before offering your affluenza infected opinion on it repeatedly.

Btw, you know another phrase for 65,000 a year? "Middle class"
Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2022, 10:39:05 PM »

Sounds fantastic to me.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2022, 10:39:20 PM »

Is this good news?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2022, 10:40:33 PM »

They need to wait a little after the elections to do this BS strike, but wrecking the economy would still be inexcusable.

Reminds me of when many liberals told me their health is more important than winning some "damn election" in regards to Virginia-2021. Guess what.. it wouldn't have taken much of a swing at all to have three statewide Democratic winners and a Democratic Hod... elections have consequences. Fortunately, Youngkin and Sears are far from the worst Republicans.

You've made the same silly screed in like 10 separate posts in a two page thread. Make a new point, or give it a rest.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2022, 10:41:15 PM »

In 2022 we are about as far from that end of the spectrum as conceivable.
new_patomic

« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2022, 10:48:54 PM »

Is this good news?

The timestamp on that more than an hour before CNN's Kaitlan Collins reported that negotiations are still ongoing. And I've seen no other reporting that a tentative deal has been reached.

I'm assuming it's a misunderstanding of what's going on, likely confusing it entirely with the single union which rejected a tentative agreement and so couldn't strike until the end of the month.
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.35, S: 0.35

P P
« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2022, 10:53:52 PM »

Is this good news?
I don't see how the interim period can feasibly be extended when trains are already being taken out of service in anticipation of a strike.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2022, 11:08:32 PM »

As far as I can tell, the carriers are behaving in a hubristic manner, treating conductors like they're non-union Amazon employees because the federal government has the right to stop railroad strikes. This has happened time and time again over the past few decades, sending carriers the message that they don't need to make any concessions when contracts are negotiated.

This is why conductors face a scheduling policy that's so draconian that you would mistake it for the attendance policy at an Amazon FC. In a de-facto sense, these workers are non-union because their union is totally emasculated, has no ability to strike, so management does whatever they want. On top of this, every carrier has a policy that workers cannot speak to media outlets on the record without facing severe sanctions.

A prolonged railroad strike would cripple the United States, possibly having reverberations around the world, but, sadly, I think it's necessary if companies won't budge. We can't live in a country where we allow companies to treat workers like this. We can't treat engineers and conductors like serfs.
new_patomic

« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2022, 04:15:51 AM »

5 AM on the East Coast

LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2022, 06:53:14 AM »

5 AM on the East Coast

Hopefully this agreement gives enough to workers, and holds.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2022, 06:56:25 AM »

5 AM on the East Coast

Hopefully this agreement gives enough to workers, and holds.

Something something Dark Brandon
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #47 on: September 15, 2022, 07:26:14 AM »

Union Joe strikes again
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2022, 08:45:58 AM »

As far as I can tell, the carriers are behaving in a hubristic manner, treating conductors like they're non-union Amazon employees because the federal government has the right to stop railroad strikes. This has happened time and time again over the past few decades, sending carriers the message that they don't need to make any concessions when contracts are negotiated.

This is why conductors face a scheduling policy that's so draconian that you would mistake it for the attendance policy at an Amazon FC. In a de-facto sense, these workers are non-union because their union is totally emasculated, has no ability to strike, so management does whatever they want. On top of this, every carrier has a policy that workers cannot speak to media outlets on the record without facing severe sanctions.

A prolonged railroad strike would cripple the United States, possibly having reverberations around the world, but, sadly, I think it's necessary if companies won't budge. We can't live in a country where we allow companies to treat workers like this. We can't treat engineers and conductors like serfs.

I don't understand why the only alternative to the companies' early acquiescence is a prolonged a strike that "cripples the United States". Why can't Congress intervene and force the companies to give in?
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #49 on: September 15, 2022, 08:50:28 AM »

GOPers in shambles.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies