Is there a potential candidate who would make you leave your party?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 10:30:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Is there a potential candidate who would make you leave your party?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Is there a potential candidate who would make you leave your party?  (Read 2458 times)
adam
Captain Vlad
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -5.04

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 20, 2007, 11:15:26 AM »

I know that if McCain, Brownback, or Tancredo is nominated by the GOP...that I will be leaving the party. Is there a candidate that would force you out of the party?
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2007, 11:24:50 AM »

Well I don't think there is candidate that would make me leave my party but there are many candidates who I could not see myself ever voting for that are most likely going to run for the Republican Party.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2007, 11:36:06 AM »

I seriously doubt I'd vote for Brownback unless the Dems put up an absolutly horrible candidate.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2007, 11:38:44 AM »

I know that if McCain, Brownback, or Tancredo is nominated by the GOP...that I will be leaving the party. Is there a candidate that would force you out of the party?

Since I'm not American I can only really identify with a US political party and my 'affinity' is with the Democratic Party. While I'd have certainly backed Richard Nixon in 1972, I certainly wouldn't have bolted the party

As far as 2008 goes, no Democrat will actually win the nomination who could possibly drive me away. So I can sleep at night on that score Smiley.

Any mainstream populist-to-liberal, or moderate conservative (not that the latter will happen), Democrat, will do nicely

Dave
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2007, 11:41:47 AM »

None per se, though I wouldn't rule out voting Republican given the choices presented to me.  Even if it seems all but inevitable that Democrats will win in 2008 (barring a miracle in Iraq, how can any Republican do well that year?), I would rather vote in the GOP primary given their candidates are more attractive than those in the other camp. 
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2007, 11:48:08 AM »

Chances are that I won't be voting for the GOP either way, unless Hillary gets the Democratic nomination or if Rudy gets the GOP nomination (which won't happen of course).
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2007, 11:54:21 AM »

Since I'm not American I can only really identify with a US political party and my 'affinity' is with the Democratic Party. While I'd have certainly backed Richard Nixon in 1972, I certainly wouldn't have bolted the party

As far as 2008 goes, no Democrat will actually win the nomination who could possibly drive me away. So I can sleep at night on that score Smiley.

Any mainstream populist-to-liberal, or moderate conservative (not that the latter will happen), Democrat, will do nicely

Dave

Dave,
That is because even if the entire Democratic Party was filled with neo-Nazis you would still be a proud member of party and wouldn't leave. IYou would basically need Satan to come down and run as a Democrat for you not to support the party. The same goes for Don.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2007, 12:52:04 PM »

Dave

Dave,
That is because even if the entire Democratic Party was filled with neo-Nazis you would still be a proud member of party and wouldn't leave. You would basically need Satan to come down and run as a Democrat for you not to support the party. The same goes for Don.

Colin,

There have been times when I've been at odds with much of the Labour Party but far from bolting, I'm one to stay and 'fight the good fight' from within Wink. The Democratic Party wouldn't be any different

Dave
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2007, 12:58:18 PM »

Rudy Guilliani would greatly anger me but I would vote 3rd party not Dem
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2007, 01:01:16 PM »

You actually mean you'll waste your vote.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2007, 01:45:35 PM »

I don't have a party, but if Giuliani is not the Republican nominee, I'll probably turn to the Democrats, depending on who they nominate.  If the Democrats nominate Hillary, and Giuliani isn't the GOP nominee, I don't know what I'll do.  Right now, though, I can't see myself casting a vote for turncoats like McCain, flip-floppers like Romney or ultra-far-far-far-far-right-hardcore-conservatives like Brownback and Gingrich who'll take the country back another 100 years.

This is why I hope Bloomberg runs, so I'll have him to fall back on if my candidate (Rudy) doesn't win the nomination.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2007, 01:47:03 PM »

What's wrong with Giuliani?  The Republicans need someone different for a change or they'll committ political suicide by nominating the same old, same old every 4 years.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2007, 01:55:08 PM »

What's wrong with Giuliani?  The Republicans need someone different for a change or they'll committ political suicide by nominating the same old, same old every 4 years.

Let them Grin

Dave
Saxwsylvania
Van Der Blub

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2007, 02:10:29 PM »

I don't know why, but there's something about Tommy Thompson that just isn't right.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2007, 02:33:54 PM »

I don't know why, but there's something about Tommy Thompson that just isn't right.

And what's that? He's proven he can win is an economic moderate conservative and a social conservative though he doesn't talk much about his social views.
Citizen James
James42

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -2.78

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2007, 02:49:58 PM »

Yes.  If Hillary is the nominee, I will leave the party on principle (just as I left the GOP on principle in 2000).  The last thing we need is  a concentration of power in a few 'royal' houses.  One of the reasons I was a republican until 2000 was that I was disgusted with all the Kennedy worship.

I would only vote for her as a tactical alternative to an ultra-right wing nominee - but I would do so as a green, libertarian, or 'decline to state'-er.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2007, 04:08:57 PM »

Dave

Dave,
That is because even if the entire Democratic Party was filled with neo-Nazis you would still be a proud member of party and wouldn't leave. You would basically need Satan to come down and run as a Democrat for you not to support the party. The same goes for Don.

Colin,

There have been times when I've been at odds with much of the Labour Party but far from bolting, I'm one to stay and 'fight the good fight' from within Wink. The Democratic Party wouldn't be any different

Dave

Dave,

I don't care what you say. You and Don are going head to head in a sumo wrestling match to see who is the most partisan poster on the Atlas Forum. Personally my money's on Pork Chop Ass but you might be able to pull enough poundage to beat him down.

Colin
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2007, 07:09:30 PM »
« Edited: January 20, 2007, 08:03:46 PM by Eraserhead »

If Joe Lieberman or Ben Nelson won the nomination, I would certainly want to bolt. If Hillary wins, I doubt I will vote for her but I also doubt that I would give up on being a Democrat entirely.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2007, 07:17:26 PM »

My first answer would be if it ain't broke don't fix it, but considering a large majority would disagree I say this.  There is a change and there is a revolution.  If the Republican party wants to change course they should nominate someone like a paleoconservative like Tancredo.  This would also show that the base of the party is strong.  Nominating someone like Guilliani would create a revolution of moderates trying to become the new base and completing uprooting the Republican party creating a definite political suicide and the formation of a new strong 3rd party
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2007, 07:23:29 PM »

My first answer would be if it ain't broke don't fix it, but considering a large majority would disagree I say this.  There is a change and there is a revolution.  If the Republican party wants to change course they should nominate someone like a paleoconservative like Tancredo.  This would also show that the base of the party is strong.  Nominating someone like Guilliani would create a revolution of moderates trying to become the new base and completing uprooting the Republican party creating a definite political suicide and the formation of a new strong 3rd party

Tancredo's nomination would also result in the Republicans losing in a '64 style landslide.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2007, 07:33:44 PM »

Tancredo's nomination would also result in the Republicans losing in a '64 style landslide.

Tancredo has a much better shot at winning a general election than Obama
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2007, 07:43:10 PM »

Tancredo has a much better shot at winning a general election than Obama

No, he really doesn't.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2007, 07:56:52 PM »

Well depending on the circumstances and how well he destroys himself he might well end up in the company of Alf Landon.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2007, 08:04:52 PM »

Well depending on the circumstances and how well he destroys himself he might well end up in the company of Alf Landon.

lol. True.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2007, 08:29:44 PM »

What's wrong with Giuliani? 

My guess is DWTL would only want a candidate who favors throwing abortive mothers in prison and denying gay people basic human rights.

So Giuliani wouldn't be his/her cup of tea.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies