Over 650 places with Native American slurs for names renamed
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 04:40:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Over 650 places with Native American slurs for names renamed
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Over 650 places with Native American slurs for names renamed  (Read 1834 times)
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 09, 2022, 05:26:16 PM »

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2022/09/08/united-states-geographical-locations-native-american/8028282001/

The U.S. government has renamed nearly 650 geographical locations that bear a racist and misogynistic slur for a Native American woman.

Hundreds of peaks, lakes, streams, and other geographical features on federal lands that carry the term “squaw” are now renamed with a descriptor or Indigenous language terms, such as Echo Peak, Texas, and Pannaite Naokwaide, Wyoming.

Originating from the Algonquin language, the term may have once simply meant "woman.” Over time, the word morphed into a misogynist and racist term to disparage indigenous women, experts say.

The initiative was led by Interior Secretary Deb Haaland, the first Native American cabinet secretary. In November, Haaland declared the term derogatory and created a panel that takes suggestions from the public on changing places named with derogatory terms.

New names were submitted for official approval from the Board on Geographic Names, a federal body that standardizes place names in the U.S., and the National Park Service.

"I feel a deep obligation to use my platform to ensure that our public lands and waters are accessible and welcoming. That starts with removing racist and derogatory names that have graced federal locations for far too long," Haaland said in a statement.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2022, 05:36:34 PM »

Good!
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2022, 05:38:33 PM »

Imagine the Olympics of today deciding that "Squaw Valley" was a good name for where the Olympics would be held.
cult
United States
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2022, 05:45:18 PM »

Pretty cool. The SPLC has a "Who's Heritage" map that lists out 2,580 memorials, monuments, and place names named to celebrate Confederates. Most of these were put up many many years after the civil war in response to attempts to protect the rights of Black folks. First peaked in 1910s after Southern states enacted sweeping changes to segregate societies and there was another smaller peak during the 1960s in response to Civil Rights protests

Let's undo those next!
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.35, S: 0.35

P P
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2022, 06:03:04 PM »

Stopped reading here.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2022, 09:50:13 AM »

I'm assuming you don't support this move.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2022, 02:23:18 PM »

Your loss. You might have learned something.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2022, 02:25:03 PM »

Disturbing precedent.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2022, 02:27:54 PM »

Precedent for what?
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2022, 02:35:57 PM »

My feelings on this move are very close to what Cody probably thinks. He could put it better than I, I guess.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2022, 02:42:24 PM »

First they came for the redskins, but I did not speak because I am a Broncos fan
Then they came for the Confederate statues, but I did not speak because I don’t pay attention to statues
Now they come for Squaw Valley, and I still don’t give a flying f**k because it’s a stupid name what precedent are you talking about you probably haven’t even cared about that s**t place before anyways so give it a f**king rest.

NYDem
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2022, 02:47:38 PM »

Really? This doesn't set any precedent that wasn't already set 60 years ago. The USGS did something almost identical in 1962, when names like "n Bill Canyon" and "n Head Mountain" were deemed no longer acceptable and were changed. Frankly I can't imagine why someone would object to renaming a creek or hill that has an actual racial slur in it. This isn't the San Francisco School Board trying to rename Lincoln High School or Paul Revere Elementary. It seems like common sense.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2022, 02:49:51 PM »

Really? This doesn't set any precedent that wasn't already set 60 years ago. The USGS did something almost identical in 1962, when names like "n Bill Canyon" and "n Head Mountain" were deemed no longer acceptable and were changed. Frankly I can't imagine why someone would object to renaming a creek or hill that has an actual racial slur in it. This isn't the San Francisco School Board trying to rename Lincoln High School or Paul Revere Elementary. It seems like common sense.

Agreed. And after all we've done to the Native Americans and all we've taken from them (leaving them confined and impoverished on a handful of tiny reservations), this little gesture really is the very, very least we can do.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2022, 02:58:01 PM »

This comment reminds me of this from Yes, Minister:

Sir Humphrey Appleby : Minister, if you block honours pending economies, you might create a dangerous precedent.

James Hacker : You mean that if we do the right thing this time, we might have to do the right thing again next time.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2022, 06:24:07 PM »

That's very doubtful.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2022, 06:45:28 PM »

It's always fun to hear from white people about which words used to describe other races are not offensive to those same groups.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2022, 06:51:33 PM »

This like y'all complaining abt the Redskins or Seminoles, y'all white savior complex is insane if natived dgaf abt y do u? I'll tell u y Cuz u need to feel that you're the savior of all these downtrodden groups. Fr, I doubt 99% of the people who complain abt this have ever done anything real to help Indigenous people. White savior sh**t is through the roof.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2022, 08:07:11 PM »

We would possibly have learned more of how much the SPLC is a hate group when it comes to ordinary white American citizens,  yes.

People who hate me have nothing to teach me.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2022, 08:27:13 PM »

We would possibly have learned more of how much the SPLC is a hate group when it comes to ordinary white American citizens,  yes.

The SPLC are a bunch of clowns but they aren't a hate group lol
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2022, 08:28:24 PM »

The SPLC are a bunch of clowns but they aren't a hate group lol

Not yet, but they're working overtime to get there.  They used to make sense and make reasonable arguments, but that was then and this is now.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2022, 09:23:40 PM »

An angry response to a post criticizing the Confederacy posted by a Republican, and being recommended by four Republicans. It's amazing how far your party has fallen.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2022, 09:25:55 PM »

This like y'all complaining abt the Redskins or Seminoles, y'all white savior complex is insane if natived dgaf abt y do u? I'll tell u y Cuz u need to feel that you're the savior of all these downtrodden groups. Fr, I doubt 99% of the people who complain abt this have ever done anything real to help Indigenous people. White savior sh**t is through the roof.
Imma ask you what race Debbie Haaland is…
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2022, 09:56:53 PM »

Delusional lmao
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.35, S: 0.35

P P
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2022, 10:47:45 AM »

An angry response to a post criticizing the Confederacy posted by a Republican, and being recommended by four Republicans. It's amazing how far your party has fallen.

The SPLC is not a trustworthy organization. Look at what they did to Maajid Nawaz. All of their labelings are suspect, and these things need to be handled on a case by case basis.
Mercenary

Political Matrix
E: -3.94, S: -2.70

« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2022, 11:01:20 AM »

I have no objections to this as long as its supported by Native Americans in general.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies