Will all the former US Presidents ( except Carter of course ) attend the Royal Funeral ?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 10, 2024, 03:26:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Will all the former US Presidents ( except Carter of course ) attend the Royal Funeral ?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Will all the former US Presidents ( except Carter of course ) attend the Royal Funeral ?  (Read 886 times)
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 09, 2022, 01:34:44 PM »

And what world leaders might we see ? Could we very well see EVERY ONE ?? Including Putin ?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2022, 02:10:03 PM »

I assume it's invitation only and I can't see why they would invite Trump or Putin.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2022, 04:39:39 PM »

Many countries will be sending state delegations led by foreign ministers, ambassadors, etc. rather than by the actual head of state or government him/herself. In the two previous biggest state funerals, Churchill's and Tito's, the US sent delegations led by Earl Warren and Walter Mondale, respectively. (In the latter case Carter also sent his mother of all people.)
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2022, 04:48:52 PM »

Why are we assuming that all living former U.S. presidents would be invited?  I doubt they would be
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2022, 05:02:26 PM »

Why are we assuming that all living former U.S. presidents would be invited?  I doubt they would be

Because of the Immensity of this event; I would assume it would be like John Paul II's funeral, where all the former presidents attended along with Bush.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2022, 05:02:33 PM »

I strongly doubt Trump would be. But I would be really surprised not to see Clinton, Bush and Obama in attendance.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2022, 05:21:57 PM »

In 2013, Obama invited all of his living predecessors to accompany him to Mandela's funeral, & all but Poppy Bush (due to his health) did, so given who she is, I imagine they're all invited, with Clinton, W., & Obama all accepting & attending with Biden on AF1, Carter declining due to his health, & Trump presumably declining so that he doesn't have to be near Biden, although I could also see him weirdly but genuinely wanting to actually go since.. well, I mean, c'mon; she was The Queen.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2022, 05:26:51 PM »

In 2013, Obama invited all of his living predecessors to accompany him to Mandela's funeral, & all but Poppy Bush (due to his health) did, so given who she is, I imagine they're all invited, with Clinton, W., & Obama all accepting & attending with Biden on AF1, Carter declining due to his health, & Trump presumably declining so that he doesn't have to be near Biden, although I could also see him weirdly but genuinely wanting to actually go since.. well, I mean, c'mon; she was The Queen.

Even Donald lowers his Ego before the Queen.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2022, 10:03:54 PM »

I can easily see the British Government not letting Trump into the country, as unlike Boris Johnson, I don't think Liz Truss is a fan of his. Carter won't come because of his health, and I can easily see Hillary coming without Bill because of Bill's political woes (and the non-zero possibility he also gets barred from entering Britain).
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2022, 10:12:45 PM »

I can easily see the British Government not letting Trump into the country, as unlike Boris Johnson, I don't think Liz Truss is a fan of his. Carter won't come because of his health, and I can easily see Hillary coming without Bill because of Bill's political woes (and the non-zero possibility he also gets barred from entering Britain).

Bill can sit next to Prince Andrew.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2022, 10:13:58 PM »

I highly doubt Prince Andrew will actually be allowed to attend either. Given the accusations against him, no one else in the Royal Family will want him there.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2022, 10:15:58 PM »

I highly doubt Prince Andrew will actually be allowed to attend either. Given the accusations against him, no one else in the Royal Family will want him there.

They might not want him there, but it'd probably be a little too much for him to be barred from his own mother's funeral. Maybe a really crappy seat in back?
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2022, 10:48:55 PM »

They might not want him there, but it'd probably be a little too much for him to be barred from his own mother's funeral. Maybe a really crappy seat in back?

If he was allowed onto the grounds of Balmoral through the cameras-facing entrance at a point in time at which we already know that QEII was gone & Charles was in charge, then he'll presumably be allowed at the funeral. Now, whether or not he's still the Duke of York at year's end, OTOH…
Coldstream
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -6.59, S: 1.20

P P
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2022, 03:53:13 AM »

If he was allowed onto the grounds of Balmoral through the cameras-facing entrance at a point in time at which we already know that QEII was gone & Charles was in charge, then he'll presumably be allowed at the funeral. Now, whether or not he's still the Duke of York at year's end, OTOH…

Prince Andrew will be allowed to attend, it’s silly to pretend otherwise. But it’s also very likely Charles strips him of what honours & positions he has left asap.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2022, 04:18:12 AM »

What?
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2022, 04:28:55 AM »
« Edited: September 10, 2022, 07:59:27 AM by politicallefty »

I don't know how these things work. Obviously, it seems like certain individuals across the world are automatically invited (particularly heads of state and heads of government). Beyond that though, do certain countries get a specific amount of invites or something like that?

President Biden will obviously be leading the US delegation. I have to imagine the Obamas, Clintons, and the Bushes will be invited and will attend, most likely joining President Biden on Air Force One. At Pope John Paul II's funeral, almost all delegations were apparently limited to five (which ended up being GWB, Laura Bush, GHWB, Bill Clinton, and Condoleezza Rice). They all went together on Air Force One. I imagine the US delegation will be substantially larger for this.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2022, 08:37:37 AM »

So you think the UK is going to ban two US presidents and THE QUEEN'S OWN SON?

OK, sure...
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2022, 10:37:17 AM »

OK, sure...

I'll point out that Prince Andrew wouldn't have been allowed to attend because of his Epstein links, especially since other members of the Royal Family are uninterested in protecting him.

As for Bill Clinton, I think he would be invited but Hillary (who presumably will also be going) will decide it's better for her reputation to leave at home in Chappaqua.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2022, 10:49:12 AM »

OK, sure...

I'll point out that Prince Andrew wouldn't have been allowed to attend because of his Epstein links, especially since other members of the Royal Family are uninterested in protecting him.

As for Bill Clinton, I think he would be invited but Hillary (who presumably will also be going) will decide it's better for her reputation to leave at home in Chappaqua.

You have some, um, strange takes, that's for sure...
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2022, 12:47:55 PM »

They let Andrew get on the private plane during the rush to Balmoral, and he’s joined Anne and Edward to several family events up there since. It’s the most visible he’s been since his legal troubles began, and its probably some of the last times he’ll be called on for public events.

He’ll be at the funeral (which is after all a final event in QE2’s reign), the real question is whether Charles freezes him out of the coronation (which will set the tone for his own reign). He’ll definitely be target no.1 if the rumours about Charles’ plans for a “slimmed down monarchy” are true.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2022, 08:51:04 PM »

Apparently, from what I've read, there will be limits on the delegations from each country. From what I've read, each country gets an invite for the leader and their spouse. Unless there's some other invites going out, it seems possible that no former US President will be in attendance. That said, President Biden will be getting special dispensation:

US President Joe Biden will be the most protected person at the Queen’s funeral after being given an exemption from the security protocols in place for hundreds of other VIPs.

The President will be guarded by around 400 secret service officers and not be forced to travel with other world leaders on a bus from a secure site in West London to Westminster Abbey on Monday.

He will also be one of the only VIPs permitted to fly over London on his Marine One helicopter and arrive at the Abbey in his own armoured car.

I think it would've been more hilarious if Trump was invited and had to take the bus.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2022, 11:03:57 PM »

Apparently, from what I've read, there will be limits on the delegations from each country. From what I've read, each country gets an invite for the leader and their spouse. Unless there's some other invites going out, it seems possible that no former US President will be in attendance. That said, President Biden will be getting special dispensation:

US President Joe Biden will be the most protected person at the Queen’s funeral after being given an exemption from the security protocols in place for hundreds of other VIPs.

The President will be guarded by around 400 secret service officers and not be forced to travel with other world leaders on a bus from a secure site in West London to Westminster Abbey on Monday.

He will also be one of the only VIPs permitted to fly over London on his Marine One helicopter and arrive at the Abbey in his own armoured car.

I think it would've been more hilarious if Trump was invited and had to take the bus.

Despite not being a Monarchy, the US Presidency is treated like one.

His OWN Car. His OWN Secret Service Officers.

He's treated like a King more than, the King of the Netherlands, King of Spain, King of Norway.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2022, 05:54:21 AM »

Despite not being a Monarchy, the US Presidency is treated like one.

His OWN Car. His OWN Secret Service Officers.

He's treated like a King more than, the King of the Netherlands, King of Spain, King of Norway.

Because nobody wants to kill the King of Norway. Many want to kill the most powerful person in the world. If Putin was there, he'd probably get the same, along with Xi.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2022, 09:12:48 AM »

They let Andrew get on the private plane during the rush to Balmoral, and he’s joined Anne and Edward to several family events up there since. It’s the most visible he’s been since his legal troubles began, and its probably some of the last times he’ll be called on for public events.

He’ll be at the funeral (which is after all a final event in QE2’s reign), the real question is whether Charles freezes him out of the coronation (which will set the tone for his own reign). He’ll definitely be target no.1 if the rumours about Charles’ plans for a “slimmed down monarchy” are true.

If you believe the (often quite reliable) takes by the "Court Circular" column in Private Eye, the funeral might indeed be Andrew's last hurrah.
TheElectoralBoobyPrize

« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2022, 11:30:20 AM »

The same number that went to Thatcher's funeral.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies