Chilean Elections and General Discussion. Municipal and Regional elections, October 27th, 2024
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 12:33:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Chilean Elections and General Discussion. Municipal and Regional elections, October 27th, 2024
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11
Poll
Question: Which list would you vote for?
Unidad para Chile (AD-PS-PL, left-wing)

Todo por Chile (PPD-DC-PR, centre-left)

Partido de la Gente (populism)

Chile Seguro (Chile Vamos, right-wing)

Partido Republicano (Far right)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 25

Author Topic: Chilean Elections and General Discussion. Municipal and Regional elections, October 27th, 2024  (Read 16653 times)
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: May 07, 2023, 06:59:40 PM »

Well... I mean, it sure beats the dark days of 2021, but this can't be good.

I don't think I ever wondered how a Republican-written Constitution would actually look like, because with this result they really can't drop things and pretend it's not their problem. It's all but theirs to write.

Could it be that nothing changes? I mean, I also have no idea what the Republicans want to put in the Constitution, but could they force the current one with no changes? Like the saying goes, everything changes just to remain the same.
xelas81
Rookie
Falkland Islands (Islas Malvinas)

« Reply #126 on: May 07, 2023, 07:02:29 PM »

Is the make up of the 24 experts appointment by the parliament, 12 pro-government and 12 opposition?
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #127 on: May 07, 2023, 07:15:05 PM »

Pundits are now arguing that the Republicanos may have peaked too early, as the Convention has no real political power and that the question is if the Republicanos can hold on to this "wave" until 2025.
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #128 on: May 07, 2023, 07:25:04 PM »

45.96% counted:

35.8% Republicanos
27.7% Unidad para Chile
21.6% Chile Seguro
  9.1% Todo por Chile
  5.3% Partido de la Gente
  0.5% Independents

21.2% Blank/Invalid ballots
kaoras
Chile

« Reply #129 on: May 07, 2023, 07:25:18 PM »

Communist flop. They would be barely the most voted party of the left but with just 2 seats. PS gets 6, RD 4 and CS 4.

The left is also around 1-2% below Approve. I expected it but still terrible.
kaoras
Chile

« Reply #130 on: May 07, 2023, 07:27:07 PM »

I think the only seat it could still change hands is in Tarapacá. Currently Republicanos have both seats, but UpCh could still get one.
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #131 on: May 07, 2023, 07:28:44 PM »

Unidade para Chile has surpassed the Republicanos in the Santiago Metropolitan area by 959 votes, with 38.73% counted.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #132 on: May 07, 2023, 07:30:44 PM »

I don't envy what follows for the Chilean left in December. They'll have to choose between the current constitution - persistently denounced at every turn as "Pinochet's Constitution" and whatever the Republicans write, probably far more to the right than the current amended text.

The mental gymnastics alone to defend the current Constitution will be interesting to see.
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #133 on: May 07, 2023, 07:34:15 PM »

Around 9 million votes expected, with the current trends. Could change with more data.

New update now says 11 million votes, around 80% turnout.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #134 on: May 07, 2023, 07:41:19 PM »

With 60,62%:

Partido Republicano 35,78%
Unidad para Chile 27,85%
Chile Seguro 21,45%
Todo por Chile 9,09%
PDG 5,33%
Red Velvet
Brazil

« Reply #135 on: May 07, 2023, 07:59:22 PM »
« Edited: May 07, 2023, 08:02:40 PM by Red Velvet »

Who cares? It most likely won’t pass again and the new constitution idea will eventually be dropped after that. Which I’m not sure it should be a surprise.

I don’t really understand why you have to constantly put everything up to vote tbh. Not only it’s exhaustive to people, it really feels kinda redundant to me as an observer.

Like, if people already voted YES for a new constitution and again for who would write it, I don’t get why they needed a third vote for the final text lol. Three votes overall??? And if it doesn’t pass on the 3rd you start all over again? It never made sense to me. Not sure if it’s just me who thinks this is weird.

In the end, if a majority never agrees on the final text, it’s like the first vote asking for a new constitution will end up ignored anyway, which isn’t democratic. Great example of how constantly asking people to vote for everything is chaotic and not necessarily democratic because people’s mood constantly change depending of the circumstances. We vote for politicians so that they can make most of these choices for us?
kaoras
Chile

« Reply #136 on: May 07, 2023, 08:09:37 PM »

And UpCh got the Tarapacá seat, there won't be more changes. REP 22, UpCh 17, ChS 11 and one Indigenous representative.
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #137 on: May 07, 2023, 08:15:31 PM »

And UpCh got the Tarapacá seat, there won't be more changes. REP 22, UpCh 17, ChS 11 and one Indigenous representative.

No 2/3 majority then.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #138 on: May 07, 2023, 08:20:20 PM »

No 2/3 majority then.

The threshold to approve articles is 3/5ths this time, so the right doesn't really need to reach 2/3rds. The left is still without effective veto power under those numbers.
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #139 on: May 07, 2023, 08:23:48 PM »

No 2/3 majority then.

The threshold to approve articles is 3/5ths this time, so the right doesn't really need to reach 2/3rds. The left is still without effective veto power under those numbers.

Ah, right. Well then, that complicates things for the left.
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #140 on: May 07, 2023, 08:25:34 PM »

90.68% counted:

35.5% Republicanos
28.3% Unidad para Chile
21.2% Chile Seguro
  9.0% Todo por Chile
  5.4% Partido de la Gente
  0.5% Independents

21.4% Blank/Invalid ballots
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #141 on: May 07, 2023, 08:35:41 PM »

Results by party so far, 90.68% counted:

35.5% PLR
  9.0% UDI
  7.9% PCCh
  7.5% RN
  6.0% PS
  5.7% CS
  5.4% PDG
  4.8% Evopoli
  4.4% RD
  3.8% PDC
  3.6% PPD
  2.1% Comunes
  1.6% PR
  1.2% PL
  1.1% FRVS
  0.1% AH
  0.5% Independents
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #142 on: May 07, 2023, 08:53:19 PM »

I may be unjust in my opinion, but Boric's speech could be summed up on this: "He talked a lot and said nothing."
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #143 on: May 07, 2023, 09:11:23 PM »

I may be unjust in my opinion, but Boric's speech could be summed up on this: "He talked a lot and said nothing."

I wouldn't go that far, there's a warning to Republicanos not to make the same mistake now that they have the power to write a new Constitution, and there's plenty of appeals to Chile Vamos to save the government by negotiating reforms. It's just that most of what he said is either deeply hypocritical or way, way too late.

Also, and now that they need the votes, suddenly Chile Vamos now qualifies as a democratic, moderate right in the government's rhetoric, which is quite amusing to see.
Octowakandi
Octosteel
United States

« Reply #144 on: May 07, 2023, 10:31:00 PM »

So much are the Republicans just a vehicle for Kast and how much is it a broad right wing movement. I'm curious if this indicates that Kast still has more political juice for a future run or not really.
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #145 on: May 08, 2023, 02:21:07 AM »

blegh.
Red Velvet
Brazil

« Reply #146 on: May 08, 2023, 07:27:12 AM »

So, his usual thing?
oldtimer
Greece

« Reply #147 on: May 08, 2023, 07:38:51 AM »

No 2/3 majority then.

Let me get this straight:

The Left wanted to change the constitution.

The voters didn't.

The Left insisted.

The voters voted No.

The Left still insisted.

The voters voted for the Right to get rid of the Left.

The Right now gets to write the new constitution, against the Left which insisted on changing it against the will of the people.

Lesson, never anger the population by trying to impose things they don't want.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #148 on: May 08, 2023, 07:43:25 AM »

No 2/3 majority then.

The voters didn't.

The Left insisted.

The voters voted No.

The Left still insisted.

The Right now gets to write the new constitution, against the Left which insisted on changing it against the will of the people.

Slightly skipping over the part where Chileans voted 78% in favour of amending the constitution, then voted overwhelmingly for left-wing parties to draft that new constitution.
Octowakandi
Octosteel
United States

« Reply #149 on: May 08, 2023, 08:52:09 AM »

No 2/3 majority then.

The voters didn't.

The Left insisted.

The voters voted No.

The Left still insisted.

Slightly skipping over the part where Chileans voted 78% in favour of amending the constitution, then voted overwhelmingly for left-wing parties to draft that new constitution.

Yeah it's more that there was buyer's remorse especially after said left wing parties drafted a very left wing constitution. Still not entirely sure why things swung so hard the other way. Regardless, seems likely whatever constitution proposed by the right probably doesn't pass and we just stay with the current and I think the process will end from then on. Which is a win for the right as I understand since they broadly like the Pinochet constitution, right?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies