UK General Discussion: Rishecession
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 07:45:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Discussion: Rishecession
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 206 207 208 209 210 [211] 212 213 214 215 216 ... 236
Author Topic: UK General Discussion: Rishecession  (Read 259316 times)
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5250 on: February 01, 2024, 08:53:32 AM »

Any word when the next general election is?
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #5251 on: February 01, 2024, 09:48:23 AM »

We now know that we have less than a year to go. Apart from that, not much really - there continue to be rumblings about May, but there seems almost no chance the Tories would go for that unless polls get significantly better for them than they are currently.

November now appears to be the bookies favourite, though they are certainly not infallible.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #5252 on: February 01, 2024, 10:09:07 AM »

Unless you are very confident that opposition supporters are more demoralized than your own, a Winter election is always a rather courageous prospect. October is the last 'safe' month and March the first. The absolute worst month to hold an election would be January.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #5253 on: February 01, 2024, 10:30:39 AM »

all he did was write an (ignored) briefing paper... A waste of valuable time - sure.

What an apt summation of Gove’s career in general.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5254 on: February 02, 2024, 10:01:08 AM »

Darkly hilarious that the UK has had such a bad 2020s that the political meltdown of the Brexit crisis is now seen as a normal year.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #5255 on: February 03, 2024, 05:03:26 AM »

Who are the 2% of people who felt that 2020 was a normal year?  I have some questions for them.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #5256 on: February 03, 2024, 05:13:05 AM »

The most absurd propositions quite often get 2-3% in polls, there is sometimes a "p***taking" factor.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #5257 on: February 03, 2024, 01:25:03 PM »

Especially high in YouGov surveys because people are taking them to hit an eventual cash reward.
Conservatopia
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 0.72, S: 8.60

« Reply #5258 on: February 03, 2024, 01:35:22 PM »

Especially high in YouGov surveys because people are taking them to hit an eventual cash reward.

I've definitely been guilty of this. Same with Opinium and Survation, that sacred cow of the left, though.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #5259 on: February 04, 2024, 05:31:50 AM »
« Edited: February 04, 2024, 05:37:46 AM by CumbrianLefty »

I've definitely been guilty of this. Same with Opinium and Survation, that sacred cow of the left, though.

Not so much since they accurately predicted the last GE, tbf.

But yes, only they and YouGov really saw the Corbyn surge coming in 2017.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #5260 on: February 05, 2024, 01:11:08 PM »

The King has been diagnosed with cancer. Although not prostate cancer, it was discovered during his recent operation. It is rather more serious this time, but I note that, once again, he is being very open about a subject about which the Palace has tended to be rather closed and that, whatever one's constitutional position, this is to be commended.
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

P P P
« Reply #5261 on: February 05, 2024, 01:19:07 PM »

What cancers, other than prostate, are most likely to be discovered during surgery on the prostate?
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #5262 on: February 05, 2024, 01:31:28 PM »

The King has been diagnosed with cancer. Although not prostate cancer, it was discovered during his recent operation. It is rather more serious this time, but I note that, once again, he is being very open about a subject about which the Palace has tended to be rather closed and that, whatever one's constitutional position, this is to be commended.

For all his faults and his mother's strengths, I do think the country would have benefited from an earlier accession given his very 'landed' personability.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #5263 on: February 05, 2024, 01:40:54 PM »

Terrible news. Gee, I hate cancer and hope I live to see the day human kind finally beats this horrible disease. Or at least that no diagnosis is a death sentence anymore and you can live a normal life with modest treatment like diabetis.

Wishing Charles all the best for a full and speedy recovery. While I'm not a fan of monarchies, I think he's a good man. Luckily he'll have access to the best medical treatment in the world.
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #5264 on: February 05, 2024, 01:52:08 PM »

Despite everything I do like Charles, I hope this doesn't prove to be too serious
Earthling
Netherlands

« Reply #5265 on: February 05, 2024, 02:26:42 PM »

What cancers, other than prostate, are most likely to be discovered during surgery on the prostate?

Coloncancer, bladdercancer? Some rare form of cancer?
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #5266 on: February 05, 2024, 03:00:30 PM »

For all his faults and his mother's strengths, I do think the country would have benefited from an earlier accession given his very 'landed' personability.

And if it had been too early you'd have Jimmy Saville as a member of the King's entourage.
I don't know the guy personally though so again I'd just commend the fact he's pushed for this kind of transparency and that he seems to be the right contrast to the fiercely apolitical Queen.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5267 on: February 05, 2024, 04:49:36 PM »

And I think the very fact that so many of his faults, including his messy and tragic family life and the obvious impact it has had on his sons—and the turmoil that that has led to in recent years—have played out so publicly, make him IMO, uniquely positioned to reconnect an increasingly unpopular monarchy with the public. More so than William.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #5268 on: February 05, 2024, 04:58:40 PM »

Having 'grown up' with both William and Harry only in the sense we are similar ages, William just comes across as a parody of what people think the upper classes look like. From dress, to style. He's regressed; he comes across as less normal than he did a decade or so ago. We know nothing about him. We've always known what the King's interests have been (plants and porticos) for decades. William is just...blank.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #5269 on: February 05, 2024, 05:04:19 PM »

It's rumoured William is into pegging
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5270 on: February 05, 2024, 05:23:36 PM »

He's 75. That's a common age to get it, sadly.

This is definitely a lot more open than it used to be - George VI himself wasn't even told he had cancer.
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

P P P
« Reply #5271 on: February 05, 2024, 05:26:55 PM »

Having 'grown up' with both William and Harry only in the sense we are similar ages, William just comes across as a parody of what people think the upper classes look like. From dress, to style. He's regressed; he comes across as less normal than he did a decade or so ago. We know nothing about him. We've always known what the King's interests have been (plants and porticos) for decades. William is just...blank.

I think he could be the troublesome (as far as the stability and continued existence of the institution of the Monarchy goes) Monarch when it comes to it. His personal poll ratings are high, but I feel they are pretty artificial.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #5272 on: February 05, 2024, 06:53:27 PM »
« Edited: February 05, 2024, 07:16:18 PM by HagridOfTheDeep »

I like Charles. Everything I have seen and read about him tells me he at least has a position. It seems he has had ideas about modernizing the monarchy for a while, and I think it’s a shame that he was only able to finally become King at such an old age.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5273 on: February 05, 2024, 10:20:56 PM »

Let’s hope he beats this cancer quickly.

I’m curious, on these modernizing reforms to the monarchy, what does Charles actually want to do? And if worse comes to worse, how much of it can be crammed into a couple years?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #5274 on: February 05, 2024, 10:29:25 PM »

I guess Harry doesn't seem so bad when you think about how William is basically a bot.
Pages: 1 ... 206 207 208 209 210 [211] 212 213 214 215 216 ... 236  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies