UK General Discussion: Rishecession
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 26, 2024, 03:34:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Discussion: Rishecession
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 186 187 188 189 190 [191] 192 193 194 195 196 ... 235
Author Topic: UK General Discussion: Rishecession  (Read 256293 times)
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4750 on: November 13, 2023, 05:54:35 AM »

I really liked David Cameron tbh

This confuses me. I thought I had the British sound down pat but how someone not an MP can have this position…..
Flyersfan232

« Reply #4751 on: November 13, 2023, 05:59:02 AM »

i hear biden is going to appoint bill clinton as sos
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #4752 on: November 13, 2023, 05:59:46 AM »

I dunno, it feels like Ianucci's lost his touch with bringing this guy back.
Flyersfan232

« Reply #4753 on: November 13, 2023, 06:00:54 AM »

I did not expect to get woken up by a notification about David Cameron today. Can somebody explain how this works logistically, did they have to get him into the House of Lords for this?

He’s getting a peerage. MPs on both sides seething about the fact they won’t be able to question the Foreign Sec in the Commons - especially amid both ongoing wars.

Does mean that we’ll get to see his outside earnings, as a condition of entering the Lords. That’s going to be its own news-cycle…
arent great office holder require to sit in commons for sessions?
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #4754 on: November 13, 2023, 06:06:24 AM »

Some weird stuff now - Sunak has travelled to his Palace to Westminster office for the face-to-face firing stage of the reshuffle. But Therese Coffey (widely expected to be fired), entered Downing Street by the front door, and hasn’t been seen since.

Typically, if she was being fired, she’d have been done with the rest, or entered and left by the back door.
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #4755 on: November 13, 2023, 06:07:29 AM »

David Cameron is in Downing Street.

Surely they’re not sending him to the Lords, right now? FCDO from the Lords?

Big Mandelson 2009 energy
I feel like it's even more bizarre than Mandelson joining the Cabinet. It'd be like if Major appointed Thatcher in 1996. How often does an ex-PM become a Cabinet minister, let alone one that isn't even in the Commons? I don't think I've heard of something like that anywhere in the world, at least not in the Anglosphere.

This is not exactly uncommon in other countries, especially ones with shorter and multi-party governments. The part about not being a member of the legislature is more complicated, especially if you exclude cases like France where ministers are often chosen among legislators but are legally compelled to give up their National Assembly seat while they are in government. Still, a most famous case would be that former Israeli PM Ehud Barak was not an MK when Ehud Olmert appointed him Minister of Defence in 2007.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #4756 on: November 13, 2023, 06:11:18 AM »

The writers have brought back a character from an earlier season whose storyline always felt underdeveloped and cut a bit short. This is where they get the whole cast together to do the final chorus (Dave's tenor part a special highlight) and give the series a feel-good send off. All that's needed now is the announcement that the new Chancellor is Frank Lampard.

The obvious choice for this government would be Sam Allardyce, surely.

Alas, Big Sam is a Labour Man so unlikely to be available.
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

P P P
« Reply #4757 on: November 13, 2023, 06:13:10 AM »

Some weird stuff now - Sunak has travelled to his Palace to Westminster office for the face-to-face firing stage of the reshuffle. But Therese Coffey (widely expected to be fired), entered Downing Street by the front door, and hasn’t been seen since.

Typically, if she was being fired, she’d have been done with the rest, or entered and left by the back door.

First female Chancellor? Claire Coutinho has been talked of, but Coffey (who obviously isn't that close to Sunak) would be quite a turn up and show that Sunak is keeping a big tent. However, she hasn't exactly covered herself in glory as a minister.
Coldstream
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -6.59, S: 1.20

P P
« Reply #4758 on: November 13, 2023, 06:13:51 AM »

First female Chancellor? Claire Coutinho has been talked of, but Coffey (who obviously isn't that close to Sunak) would be quite a turn up and show that Sunak is keeping a big tent. However, she hasn't exactly covered herself in glory as a minister.

They’ve already said they are keeping Hunt (for now).
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #4759 on: November 13, 2023, 06:14:57 AM »

arent great office holder require to sit in commons for sessions?
No requirement - and if they’re Lords, they can’t sit in the Commons or answer questions there at all.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #4760 on: November 13, 2023, 06:32:35 AM »

It's a bit unorthodox to have one of the holders of the great offices of the state sit in the lords and not the commons though. How's that going to work parliament wise when he can't stand at the dispatch box?
IceAgeComing
United Kingdom

« Reply #4761 on: November 13, 2023, 06:40:15 AM »

Its not that unusual for question periods for other departments to be handled in part by junior ministers; and that is what will happen here. He'll address questions in the Lords and you'll see Labour push a lot harder there than they usually will for Lords question periods; but the Junior Ministers will cover the commons side as would happen with any Lords-based ministers.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #4762 on: November 13, 2023, 06:56:16 AM »

Braverman *lol*. Tories *lol*. Britain *lol*.

Cameron *lol*. Tories *lol*. Britain *lol*.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #4763 on: November 13, 2023, 06:58:15 AM »

I feel like it's even more bizarre than Mandelson joining the Cabinet. It'd be like if Major appointed Thatcher in 1996. How often does an ex-PM become a Cabinet minister, let alone one that isn't even in the Commons? I don't think I've heard of something like that anywhere in the world, at least not in the Anglosphere.

This is not exactly uncommon in other countries, especially ones with shorter and multi-party governments. The part about not being a member of the legislature is more complicated, especially if you exclude cases like France where ministers are often chosen among legislators but are legally compelled to give up their National Assembly seat while they are in government. Still, a most famous case would be that former Israeli PM Ehud Barak was not an MK when Ehud Olmert appointed him Minister of Defence in 2007.
That was in 2009, and not unheard of in Israel. Netanyahu was Sharon's chancellor, Rabin was Peres' minister of defence, and then Peres was his foreign secretary.
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #4764 on: November 13, 2023, 07:00:38 AM »

This gets it spot on pretty much.

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #4765 on: November 13, 2023, 07:05:34 AM »

That was in 2009, and not unheard of in Israel. Netanyahu was Sharon's chancellor, Rabin was Peres' minister of defence, and then Peres was his foreign secretary.

Yes, in a small country - especially one with a fragmented political landscape - this sort of thing will not be so rare as it's often just a matter of practicalities. Whereas in a large country...
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #4766 on: November 13, 2023, 07:07:39 AM »

I see, that was really my point. It's even less unheard of in Italy - in fact it happened roughly all the time in the "first republic" for reasons that will be obvious to anyone vaguely familiar with it - although the only case I know where the minister in question was not sitting in Parliament at the time was Amato being D'Alema's minister for institutional reforms and later minister of the treasury.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #4767 on: November 13, 2023, 07:10:34 AM »

It's a bit unorthodox to have one of the holders of the great offices of the state sit in the lords and not the commons though. How's that going to work parliament wise when he can't stand at the dispatch box?

In ordinary times they might get a backbencher to stand down in a safe seat and call a by election, although sadly even the gov wouldn't be so hubristic to try that given that would probably result in a patrick gordon walker farce
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #4768 on: November 13, 2023, 07:15:20 AM »

This gets it spot on pretty much.

Hitchens wrote a wonderfully prescient article (if we ignore the bit about the boundaries) on Cameron upon his election as leader of the Conservative Party:

https://amp.theguardian.com/politics/2005/dec/14/conservatives.uk1
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #4769 on: November 13, 2023, 07:43:10 AM »

As is tradition, the Housing Minister has been fired after no more than 1 year in office.

The replacement will be the 16th since 2010.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #4770 on: November 13, 2023, 07:48:23 AM »

As widely speculated - Coffey leaves government:

Vacancy at DEFRA - if anyone else is willing to spend the next year being lampooned as Minister for Sewage.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #4771 on: November 13, 2023, 07:51:34 AM »

Vacancy at DEFRA - if anyone else is willing to spend the next year being lampooned as Minister for Sewage.

I suspect Sunak may have difficulty finding replacements for all the lost cabinet and junior ministers. Perhaps some more appointments from the Lords - John Selwyn Gummer as new DEFRA secretary?

Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4772 on: November 13, 2023, 07:52:01 AM »

Petition to rename thread to "Return of the Pigdiddler".
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #4773 on: November 13, 2023, 07:55:38 AM »

I suspect Sunak may have difficulty finding replacements for all the lost cabinet and junior ministers. Perhaps some more appointments from the Lords - John Selwyn Gummer as new DEFRA secretary?

Her predecessor in Suffolk Coastal!
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #4774 on: November 13, 2023, 08:01:04 AM »

Don’t think this has been posted. Lmao.

Pages: 1 ... 186 187 188 189 190 [191] 192 193 194 195 196 ... 235  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length