UK General Discussion: Rishecession
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 08, 2024, 03:58:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Discussion: Rishecession
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 186 187 188 [189] 190 191 192 193 194 ... 236
Author Topic: UK General Discussion: Rishecession  (Read 262508 times)
Conservatopia
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 0.72, S: 8.60

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4700 on: November 13, 2023, 03:52:32 AM »

He needed to sack her before the Supreme Court ruling on Rwanda on Wednesday gave her either a potential win or an excuse to resign. Hence the urgency this reshuffle is being conducted.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4701 on: November 13, 2023, 03:55:25 AM »

Impressive work by Braverman that she is so toxic that she got both Liz Truss and Rishi Sunak to fire her.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #4702 on: November 13, 2023, 03:57:03 AM »

Sounds like Coffey (DEFRA), and Barclay (Health) are at most risk - the latter because Downing Street thinks Streeting is running rings around him. Some talk about Jack (Scotland), who’s standing down, being replaced too.

TheTide’s point about making space for Hunt to go back to FCDO makes a lot of sense - but it sounds like he’s safe for now.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #4703 on: November 13, 2023, 03:58:23 AM »
« Edited: November 13, 2023, 04:02:44 AM by Torrain »

David Cameron is in Downing Street.

Surely they’re not sending him to the Lords, right now? FCDO from the Lords?

Big Mandelson 2009 energy
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #4704 on: November 13, 2023, 03:59:21 AM »

Looks like Rishi woke up today and chose violence.

He needs to bring this energy every day, he's probably doomed anyway but at least the public would respect him. Well done!

I want another Boris Johnson Fuhrenbunker situation where Rishi has sacked every MP possible and is holding court with only his Foreign Secretary and Home Secretary who has already declared a leadership bid remaining in Cabinet to sign off on MI5/6 shenanigans.
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

P P P
« Reply #4705 on: November 13, 2023, 04:05:46 AM »

That could actually lead to enough right-wingers (both on the current frontbench and on the backbenches) voting against the government in a confidence motion to bring it down. Seriously.

It's actually kind of like Starmer appointing Reeves as Shadow Chancellor - in terms of being toxic to a certain section of the party. The problem is that the hard left of the Labour Party was much less powerful (even then) than the hard right of the Tory Party is now. Sunak being too clever by half if this is what is happening.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #4706 on: November 13, 2023, 04:15:15 AM »

This would be an utterly demented move. Pure self-sabotage.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #4707 on: November 13, 2023, 04:17:13 AM »
« Edited: November 13, 2023, 04:56:33 AM by Torrain »

Aye, whatever the question is, Baron Cameron of Witney is not the answer…

P*ss off the right, those who think he bungled the referendum (take your pick which one), and anyone who remembers Greensill.

Sure Labour are having a field day, thinking of the ways they can run against the architect to austerity, with a recent lobbying scandal under his belt.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4708 on: November 13, 2023, 04:17:41 AM »

Congrats to Suella for perhaps being the first person ever to be fired from a specific Great Office of the State by two consecutive PMs.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #4709 on: November 13, 2023, 04:26:48 AM »

Well, this morning does seem like confirmation of the 'desperate writers put together the final season of a soon-to-be-cancelled television drama serial' thesis.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #4710 on: November 13, 2023, 04:30:06 AM »

Permanent Secretary at the Foreign Office now with Cleverly, Cameron, Sunak in No.10.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4711 on: November 13, 2023, 04:30:45 AM »

Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #4712 on: November 13, 2023, 04:30:58 AM »

Can Sunak survive a leadership challenge? What's the likelihood they finally call for a snap election?
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #4713 on: November 13, 2023, 04:37:37 AM »

Kay Burley on Sky News is practically gushing about Cameron's return. Some might recall when she was gushing over him during a televised leaders' debate in 2015, and taking a rather different attitude to Ed Miliband.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #4714 on: November 13, 2023, 04:41:31 AM »

I feel like it's even more bizarre than Mandelson joining the Cabinet. It'd be like if Major appointed Thatcher in 1996. How often does an ex-PM become a Cabinet minister, let alone one that isn't even in the Commons? I don't think I've heard of something like that anywhere in the world, at least not in the Anglosphere.
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #4715 on: November 13, 2023, 04:43:25 AM »

I feel like it's even more bizarre than Mandelson joining the Cabinet. It'd be like if Major appointed Thatcher in 1996. How often does an ex-PM become a Cabinet minister, let alone one that isn't even in the Commons? I don't think I've heard of something like that anywhere in the world, at least not in the Anglosphere.

Last time this happened here was Alex Douglas-Home (coincidentally I mentioned him in an earlier post!) in 1970. He was pretty much a stop-gap PM though.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #4716 on: November 13, 2023, 04:45:40 AM »

How often does an ex-PM become a Cabinet minister, let alone one that isn't even in the Commons? I don't think I've heard of something like that anywhere in the world, at least not in the Anglosphere.

We’ve had ex-PMs return as Foreign Sec twice in the 20th century. Balfour at the very start, and then Alec Douglas-Home in 1970-1974.

We haven’t had a Lord as Foreign Sec since Carringdon in the first Thatcher cabinet. He took responsibility for us being caught off guard in the Falklands, and left in 1982.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #4717 on: November 13, 2023, 04:46:22 AM »

He looks thrilled.
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #4718 on: November 13, 2023, 04:48:53 AM »

This pretty much confirms Cameron at the FCO, surely.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #4719 on: November 13, 2023, 04:49:52 AM »

He looks thrilled.

I’m surprised he didn’t say no to be honest, it’s not as if Sunak could have fired two of the four great officers of state in one morning. All I can think of is that this is an effort to build him up into a credible challenger for the inevitable post-defeat leadership election (given how little cabinet experience he has).
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #4720 on: November 13, 2023, 04:51:37 AM »

Already forgotten Kevin serving as Julia's Foreign Minister? John Gorton also forced himself into McMahon's cabinet for Defence by being elected as Deputy Leader.
Coldstream
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -6.59, S: 1.20

P P
« Reply #4721 on: November 13, 2023, 04:52:14 AM »

Bringing back Cameron is so beyond desperate that I completely believe Sunak would do it.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #4722 on: November 13, 2023, 04:53:25 AM »

I feel like it's even more bizarre than Mandelson joining the Cabinet. It'd be like if Major appointed Thatcher in 1996.

Yes, it's much weirder than that. Mandelson was still an active political figure and a high profile one - he was a member of the European Commission - and the surprise about his return was that it was Brown, with whom he had never had an easy relationship, that chose to bring him back.

How often does an ex-PM become a Cabinet minister, let alone one that isn't even in the Commons? I don't think I've heard of something like that anywhere in the world, at least not in the Anglosphere.

The last occasion that the former happened was in 1970 when Heath appointed Alec Douglas-Home as Foreign Secretary. Before then it was when Chamberlain briefly served as Lord President of the Council in Churchill's War Cabinet for a few months before he died in 1940. As to the latter, I'm not honestly sure off the top of my head.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #4723 on: November 13, 2023, 04:53:56 AM »

It's probably a less enjoyable job as Foreign Secretary but it also potentially boosts his credentials as an experienced head in many regalian positions, and he'll be compared to easily the worst Home Secretary in modern history which is saying something, so he's got a pretty good deal here if he wants to be Tory leader eventually.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #4724 on: November 13, 2023, 04:54:39 AM »

Already forgotten Kevin serving as Julia's Foreign Minister? John Gorton also forced himself into McMahon's cabinet for Defence by being elected as Deputy Leader.
Though Rudd at least was still in Parliament at the time and had only been on the backbench for a couple of months, so not quite as bizarre as Cameron joining the Lords. If anything the comparison here is Bob Carr becoming Foreign Minister after Rudd took a kamikaze run at Gillard's job....
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 186 187 188 [189] 190 191 192 193 194 ... 236  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies