UK General Discussion: Rishecession
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 01:34:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Discussion: Rishecession
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 128 129 130 [131] 132 133 134 135 136 ... 235
Author Topic: UK General Discussion: Rishecession  (Read 257042 times)
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3250 on: March 08, 2023, 02:53:55 AM »

After a full fourteen hours, the tweet where the UK Prime Minister talks about "the UK's modern slavery system" is still up. I suppose this also classifies as thinking voters are morons? I just have no words.

Some random cabinet minister is going to start bleating about 'battlers' and 'the Mortgage Belt' next.

Bogans in the mortgage belt are the key to the classic bellwether electorate of Dartford. They are against an Indigenous Voice [i.e. devolution, because Indigenous = Celtic] but they bought into Mediscare after seeing Jeremy Hunt's performance.
Earthling
Netherlands

« Reply #3251 on: March 08, 2023, 03:18:48 AM »

After a full fourteen hours, the tweet where the UK Prime Minister talks about "the UK's modern slavery system" is still up. I suppose this also classifies as thinking voters are morons? I just have no words.

Sadly, a lot of voters are morons. So, they are right.
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #3252 on: March 08, 2023, 03:23:51 AM »

Maybe voters who keep voting for them after this stunt (on top of everything else), sure.
Earthling
Netherlands

« Reply #3253 on: March 08, 2023, 03:27:42 AM »

Maybe voters who keep voting for them after this stunt (on top of everything else), sure.

That is what the Conservatives are hoping for. This is playing the voters so they forget who has *d them over for years.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #3254 on: March 08, 2023, 04:44:48 AM »

lmao this is like when the worst excesses of the Australian right try to make dumb American culture wars a thing

We're through the looking glass here, people.

I think that the concept of "cultural cringe" can now safely be retired by Australians.

We never had much of a sense of it, to be honest.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #3255 on: March 08, 2023, 05:23:44 AM »

Sark abolished feudalism in 2008, so the UK is very modern.
Coldstream
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -6.59, S: 1.20

P P
« Reply #3256 on: March 08, 2023, 05:42:52 AM »

Sark abolished feudalism in 2008, so the UK is very modern.

Sark isn’t part of the UK.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #3257 on: March 08, 2023, 06:31:34 AM »

It's all very strange. There's been next to no actual media coverage/saturation of 'people in boats'. Not even on Twitter. Certainly in comparison to the Sangatte reporting a few years back.

The government has decided this is a problem, that a 'showdown' is needed...before it's in the public consciousness. Not to say it won't be, but there's a weird disconnect.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3258 on: March 08, 2023, 06:44:28 AM »

We know that, but that's why it's an awful tweet. It's George W Bush levels of bad.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #3259 on: March 08, 2023, 08:01:14 AM »

The first people we need to deport are these moronic Australian political advisors.

Given the UK's getting our slogans ~9 years late, I eagerly await Rishi/Boris/Leader TBD spending the entire general election campaign screeching about Jobs and Growth. I wonder if they can top Turnbull accidentally quoting slogans from Veep (continuity and change!)

Bogans in the mortgage belt are the key to the classic bellwether electorate of Dartford. They are against an Indigenous Voice [i.e. devolution, because Indigenous = Celtic] but they bought into Mediscare after seeing Jeremy Hunt's performance.

Inside the Teal Wave: How Climate Independents flipped Kensington & Chelsea with Ben Goldsmith (?)'s money
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #3260 on: March 08, 2023, 08:16:02 AM »

It's all very strange. There's been next to no actual media coverage/saturation of 'people in boats'. Not even on Twitter. Certainly in comparison to the Sangatte reporting a few years back.

The government has decided this is a problem, that a 'showdown' is needed...before it's in the public consciousness. Not to say it won't be, but there's a weird disconnect.

It happens that an unusually high proportion of both Conservative Party members and journalists for national broadcasters/publications live in Kent.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #3261 on: March 08, 2023, 09:15:03 AM »

Braverman sent out a Tory fundraising email this morning:

Which has triggered a round of criticism from both the civil service, and Tory ministers - with a number of suggestions from both (all anonymous, apart from the head of the FDA civil service trade union) that she may have broken the ministerial code, section 5 in particular.

That section states that "Ministers must uphold the political impartiality of the Civil Service", and adds: “Ministers should be professional in their working relationships with the Civil Service and treat all those with whom they come into contact with consideration and respect.”

Rishi Sunak's press secretary has now claimed that the fundraising email, which carries Braverman's signature, was not seen by the Home Secretary before it was released.

I know it's unlikely, but if Braverman has to resign, from the same office, for two email-related breaches of the ministerial code, in under 6 months, it'll be quite something...

Politico writeup of the story here
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #3262 on: March 08, 2023, 09:34:37 AM »

Inside the Teal Wave: How Climate Independents flipped Kensington & Chelsea with Ben Goldsmith (?)'s money

Speaking of people named Goldsmith, the Teal Wave was foreshadowed in Richmond Park in 2016 surely?
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #3263 on: March 08, 2023, 09:37:44 AM »

Speaking of people named Goldsmith, the Teal Wave was foreshadowed in Richmond Park in 2016 surely?

More akin to the No Aircraft Noise party giving the Deputy Premier-elect a right old scare in Marrickville '95.
(Ben Goldsmith felt like a decent enough stand-in for Simon Holmes à Court, in case context is lacking)
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3264 on: March 08, 2023, 01:42:44 PM »

The weird thing is they did this last year with another bill which they eventually forced through and there’s a v good chance we’ll end up next year in the same position; until you fix the Home Office and tackle the global factors (something that is hard to do in a year) it’s difficult to see how the numbers fall.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3265 on: March 08, 2023, 01:52:53 PM »

That is what the Conservatives are hoping for. This is playing the voters so they forget who has *d them over for years.

Fortunately, there is little chance of them being successful in this.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #3266 on: March 08, 2023, 02:00:26 PM »

Johnson has given testimony to the Raab bullying inquiry, and bried out to the Telegraph that he personally intervened to warn Raab about his behaviour when he was PM.

Understand that I don't want to downplay the allegations against Raab, at all. But. I do wonder whether this particular intervention might have something to do with Raab being one of the first to back Sunak last summer, and helping chair both his attempts at the leadership...
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3267 on: March 08, 2023, 02:03:19 PM »

Yes, to state the obvious it isn't exactly the most credible source is it.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #3268 on: March 08, 2023, 02:07:45 PM »

Ferrets, sacks, etc.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #3269 on: March 08, 2023, 02:22:22 PM »

Unfortunately we're all stuck in the sack with them.
JimJamUK
United Kingdom

« Reply #3270 on: March 08, 2023, 02:51:39 PM »

The weird thing is they did this last year with another bill which they eventually forced through and there’s a v good chance we’ll end up next year in the same position; until you fix the Home Office and tackle the global factors (something that is hard to do in a year) it’s difficult to see how the numbers fall.
And until you get the numbers down (i.e. negligible), it’s not going to win back loads of voters. All they’re doing at the moment is saying that there’s a massive problem and we are dealing with it, but apparently the previous times they’ve dealt with it didn’t work (but it will this time). Voters are (rightly) not impressed.
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #3271 on: March 09, 2023, 03:18:00 AM »

We know that, but that's why it's an awful tweet. It's George W Bush levels of bad.

The tweet is awful for a number of reasons.  Of course part of it is its embarrassing wording ("the UK's modern slavery system") but if you try and work out what it is actually trying to say then a natural conclusion, as raised by Stephen Flynn at PMQs yesterday, is that people who are illegally trafficked here will not be able to get help from the authorities.  If that's actually the case, and Sunak did not deny it, then it's an utterly disgraceful policy, even by the standards of what Braverman comes up with.

(Though from what I've seen of his PMQs style I'm not sure that much can be read into Sunak not answering a question from Flynn...)
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3272 on: March 09, 2023, 08:01:32 AM »

The truth is, many Tories don't *want* the boats "problem" to be solved.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #3273 on: March 09, 2023, 04:49:48 PM »

Johnson has nominated Paul Dacre for a peerage in his resignation honours list.

Dacre was blocked from receiving one last autumn, so this seems to be Johnson's way of trying to make Sunak choose between being attacked by the Mail and the right of the party (for blocking parts of his honours list), or by the opposition and much of the rest of the media (for overruling the recommendation of the Lords appointment commission for the first time since Johnson forced Lebedev into the Lords, and creating a media baron in the most literal sense).
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3274 on: March 10, 2023, 10:43:22 AM »

WTAF was Fiona Bruce up to regarding Stanley Johnson in last night's Question Time?
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 128 129 130 [131] 132 133 134 135 136 ... 235  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies