UK General Discussion: Rishecession
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 06:04:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Discussion: Rishecession
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 118 119 120 [121] 122 123 124 125 126 ... 238
Author Topic: UK General Discussion: Rishecession  (Read 266258 times)
Cassius
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3000 on: February 04, 2023, 03:31:40 PM »

Interested to see how she justifies attacking Jeremy Hunt, a chancellor she appointed to be cautious - for being too cautious.

Thinking is not a verb normally associated with Liz Truss no.

Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3001 on: February 05, 2023, 03:45:19 AM »

I'm sure this has been answered before, but I was looking over the election results from 2010 to 2019 I had written down on a piece of paper, and it dawned on me that the Conservatives have been in government but will have had four different leaders in four consecutive elections:

2015: David Cameron
2017: Theresa May
2019: Boris Johnson
202?: Rishi Sunak (probably)

Has this ever happened anywhere in the world with a party in government before?
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #3002 on: February 05, 2023, 04:06:15 AM »

I'm sure this has been answered before, but I was looking over the election results from 2010 to 2019 I had written down on a piece of paper, and it dawned on me that the Conservatives have been in government but will have had four different leaders in four consecutive elections:

The Liberal Democratic Party of Japan was led by Eisaku Satō in 1969, Kakuei Tanaka in 1972, Takeo Miki in 1976 and Masayoshi Ōhira in 1979 (Ōhira died a week before the following election in 1980 but I don't think his interim successor should count).

The Christian Democracy here easily produced an even longer streak, but being DC secretary and being President of the Council were only tangentially related jobs even though the DC was always by far the largest party in government because, you know, Italy.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #3003 on: February 05, 2023, 04:19:04 AM »
« Edited: February 05, 2023, 04:48:01 AM by AustralianSwingVoter »

New South Wales at current!

2011: Barry O’Farrell
2015: Mike Baird
2019: Gladys Berejiklian
2023: Dominic Perrottet

Edit: Nick Greiner in 1991 was the last time a NSW Liberal leader faced a second election btw.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #3004 on: February 05, 2023, 04:29:53 AM »

Sunak has proved to be crapper than expected (didn't have high expectations to begin with) but surely he's still the best candidate they have? I'm sure he'll get plenty of grief after the local elections but I think the lack of any alternative will keep him in place until the next election.

And the fact Truss is already attempting a comeback is beyond any description, just absurd.

Boris is a better candidate because he's still a good salesman unlike Sunak. He can sell the turds he's produced better than any Tory candidate.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3005 on: February 05, 2023, 04:40:03 AM »

Sunak has proved to be crapper than expected (didn't have high expectations to begin with) but surely he's still the best candidate they have? I'm sure he'll get plenty of grief after the local elections but I think the lack of any alternative will keep him in place until the next election.

And the fact Truss is already attempting a comeback is beyond any description, just absurd.

Boris is a better candidate because he's still a good salesman unlike Sunak. He can sell the turds he's produced better than any Tory candidate.

It doesn't work when the public loathe the salesman rather than seeing him as an irresponsible rogue. Partygate especially made him toxic, for being an elitst scumbag not respecting the huge sacrifices he imposed on people.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #3006 on: February 05, 2023, 05:17:19 AM »

Some absolute gems in the Truss article - truly willing to blame anyone and everyone else for her premiership sinking. It’s clear that, as she writes in the article - “soul-searching has not been easy for me”.

Spoiler alert: Truss ramblings, for the curious

Wild as the article is, it all boils down to this, from last year:
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #3007 on: February 05, 2023, 05:53:10 AM »

Boris would turn off as many people as he would bring back. But sure switch back to Boris, it's probably better for the country if he's the one to get crushed in the next election.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3008 on: February 05, 2023, 08:54:42 AM »

The irony ofc is that there's very little discussion either from her or her allies, or even some of her critics that she was the reason it went so awfully- she was a terrible public speaker, someone with absolutely no public presence & absolutely no political judgement beyond an ability to win over Conservative Members.*

It's forgotten that the reason she had so many issues was because she refused to try and build any sort of unity with Sunak or his supporters; I would note Sunak has appointed some of her allies to posts and it has broadly been a happier ship!

I can guarantee that any other post war PM would have handled the Queens Death in a way that would have gotten some mention; she just came across as deeply strange and out of her depth. It was telling that in the Commons not only did Keir & Boris deliver much better speeches but so did many backbenchers including Theresa May.

She was the product of Conservative MPs & Conservative members talking among themselves; much more so than Labour members ever do! For all the criticisms of Corbyn we did not try and replace him with Richard Burgon while insisting Jeremy was too right wing.

While the mini-budget did a lot of damage people forget it was the farcical fracking vote that actually ended things; for a Government with a majority of 70 to march itself over a mine-field & then change its mind half way while the officers fight each other was really a fitting end for her regime.

I have spent a lot of time trying to work out why Truss is even getting discussed; everyone knows it was a disaster and its telling there isn't even the usual post prime ministerial debate you see with others where soft partisans try and balance out varying factors (Thatcher on the unions, Blair on Iraq, Cameron on the economy)

Truss is a prime ministerial leper to quote Wilson, yet she seems completely unaware of it.

*Even the canary in the coal mine looking back was the challenge Truss faced in getting to the final round; she only beat Penny to the final round after a very vicious briefing war against her & there are ofc still a lot of people who believe votes were lend to get Truss in the final round.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #3009 on: February 05, 2023, 09:14:19 AM »

The biggest reveal is the quote "I thought my mandate would be respected". Truss did all the right things in greasing the levers of various subfactions and affiliates to get the top job, but this is not fundamentally a mandate. It isn't an uncommon problem for politicians to get mixed up between their domination of a council or convention for real, tangible power: but Truss really seems to be uniquely unaware of the fact that just getting an arbitrary, self-selected clique of weirdos to anoint you as leader is not in anyway equivalent to broad consent or a real power base. You see this most clearly in her insane behaviour during the fracking vote: why whip a vote that would have passed anyway and went against the "mandate" of the 2019 manifesto? Because she had the just as important, mandate, of um, a clown show contest.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3010 on: February 05, 2023, 10:02:00 AM »

No, I do not wish to hear the opinions of Jeremy Corbyn on the war in Ukraine, no I do not wish to hear the opinions of Liz Truss on the economy, and, frankly, I'm not sure what the justification is for any sort of media attention on either.

They are former leaders of their respective parties.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3011 on: February 05, 2023, 11:21:36 AM »

Yes, and.....?

Of course some of us think a certain Labour ex-PM has been a bit over-fond of sounding off as well.
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

P P P
« Reply #3012 on: February 05, 2023, 11:39:42 AM »

Truss won 50 votes in the first round of the first leadership election of 2022. I wonder if she might not have won if she had won one less vote (there is quite a psychological difference between 49 and 50) then she would have been written off and Mourdaunt (who came behind Truss by a few votes in the last MPs' round as it was) would have become Prime Minister. There wouldn't have been the KamaKwasi budget and the Tories would be in a better position. As it is, we are here, and the Tories look doomed.
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #3013 on: February 05, 2023, 01:30:57 PM »

Can't bring myself to read the Truss article, I can't stand that much delusional blame shifting.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3014 on: February 05, 2023, 01:53:34 PM »

If you're a unionist, now would be a good time for a second (and final) Scottish independence referendum:

Poll shows slump in support for SNP and Scottish independence

Support for the SNP at Holyrood and Westminster has dropped, a new poll suggests.

The YouGov survey for the Sunday Times of 1,088 Scottish voters shows support for the party dropped from 50% to 44% in the Holyrood constituency vote and from 40% to 36% in the regional list, when compared to the results of the same poll in December.

Support for independence also dropped substantially, from 53% to 47% among decided voters.

SNP support at Westminster dropped marginally from 43% to 42%.

First Minister Nicola Sturgeon has said she plans to run the next UK election as a “de-facto referendum” in the hopes of achieving a majority of votes north of the border and securing negotiations on independence.

But the First Minister’s approval rating has also suffered in recent months, dropping from a net of 7% in October to -4%.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #3015 on: February 05, 2023, 04:17:19 PM »

If you're a unionist, now would be a good time for a second (and final) Scottish independence referendum

Not entirely convinced, speaking as someone who gives this rather too much thought in the wee hours. Don't think any UK PM wants to do what Cameron did and gamble with the constitution or Union in a referendum, giving the outcome of the last few...

Indeed, independence polling is highly volatile (we had polling with Yes leading by a couple of points in the past month along), and as a general rule, holding a referendum under a deeply unpopular Conservative Government gives nationalists a clear, motivating opponent to run against.

Also, the past decade has shown that, as with late 20th century Quebec, there is no final referendum, until it loses political urgency (i.e. the SNP recedes), or the consensus becomes so pro-Yes (not going to speculate on that...) that Westminster is forced to respond.
JimJamUK
United Kingdom

« Reply #3016 on: February 05, 2023, 04:52:48 PM »

Also, the past decade has shown that, as with late 20th century Quebec, there is no final referendum, until it loses political urgency (i.e. the SNP recedes), or the consensus becomes so pro-Yes (not going to speculate on that...) that Westminster is forced to respond.
Yeah, the 2014 referendum was “once in a generation” yet within a few years it became the defining issue of Scottish politics. And I would quibble with the bolded part, there is a final referendum, the one where Scotland votes Yes. You can guarantee there won’t be a confirmatory vote or a post-independence referendum on rejoining the Union after that.
oldtimer
Greece

« Reply #3017 on: February 06, 2023, 05:34:56 AM »

Graham Brady has found out that he is on course to lose his own seat.

When you consider changing the rules to force the leader out you know it's bad, he did the same with May and Boris just before they were ousted.

So lets make a new UK Conservative Leadership Election 2023 thread, just in case.
oldtimer
Greece

« Reply #3018 on: February 06, 2023, 05:57:13 AM »

To many that would say "oh no not another leadership election" the answer is simple.

You need leadership elections to find out which candidate is in practice the better campaigner to lead your party in an election.

May and Sunak were appointed and turned out crap in record time, despite being good on paper.
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #3019 on: February 06, 2023, 06:57:16 AM »

To many that would say "oh no not another leadership election" the answer is simple.

You need leadership elections to find out which candidate is in practice the better campaigner to lead your party in an election.

May and Sunak were appointed and turned out crap in record time, despite being good on paper.
Truss was elected in a leadership contest and was worse than both.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3020 on: February 06, 2023, 07:52:29 AM »

The point is, Tories doing yet another leadership this change this year would - absolutely rightly - be seen as a blatant p*** take by the vast majority of voters.

And if they are still deluding themselves that there is someone out there who could miraculously and magically restore their fortunes, then if anything that makes it worse.

THEY are the problem.
oldtimer
Greece

« Reply #3021 on: February 06, 2023, 09:27:40 AM »

The point is, Tories doing yet another leadership this change this year would - absolutely rightly - be seen as a blatant p*** take by the vast majority of voters.

And if they are still deluding themselves that there is someone out there who could miraculously and magically restore their fortunes, then if anything that makes it worse.

THEY are the problem.
Their economic policies are the problem.

The economy is like a steam train:

It needs plenty of cheap energy to function, cheap technically educated labour to operate, cheap raw materials to manufacture it, and a good cheap transport network to run on.

Government policies in the UK have lead to the reverse of the above, so the economic steam train is stuck.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #3022 on: February 06, 2023, 12:11:18 PM »

ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #3023 on: February 06, 2023, 01:45:11 PM »

So the Tories will replace Sunak soon?
afleitch
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3024 on: February 06, 2023, 02:40:12 PM »

Unlikely.

There isn't anything left in the tank. Rishi is getting close to having to watch the outcome of each critical vote less there be an organised rebellion; there's likely to be a degree of internal pushback on his threats to leave the ECHR for example.

The polling situation is remarkably stable and being a direct switch of Tory voters; both loyal and transient to Labour, hasn't really unwound back to the Tories favour. The economy won't recover in time; the fundamentals might be better for the Tories than predicted but the net effect on inflation etc isn't going to come through for them. The recent shift in the swings of voting behaviour from class to age is likely to exacerbate any defeat rather than soften it and bake in a much more difficult climate for the Tories in future elections.

Pages: 1 ... 116 117 118 119 120 [121] 122 123 124 125 126 ... 238  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies