UK General Discussion: Rishecession
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 11:51:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Discussion: Rishecession
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 94 95 96 [97] 98 99 100 101 102 ... 231
Author Topic: UK General Discussion: Rishecession  (Read 241884 times)
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2400 on: November 01, 2022, 01:55:19 PM »

The Tories have been lurching from scandal to scandal for over a year now. I’m starting to think that a change in leader isn’t enough for them to figure out their issues. I don’t think Sunak will get tossed before the next election, but who really knows at this point.

"Truss didn't speak to you once in 49 days. I spoke to you in just enough time for the Ten O'Clock News of my first. We are not the same."

The Welsh title for the Welsh First Minister has given me a new username idea lol.

And now for its unveiling.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2401 on: November 01, 2022, 03:39:25 PM »

Lol removing the whip from Hancock seems awfully harsh, but he won't be missed if this really is the end. I wonder if his book provides any useful information, he'll be distorting a ton of facts to self-congratulate and blame-shift.
Conservatopia
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 0.72, S: 8.60

« Reply #2402 on: November 01, 2022, 05:55:29 PM »

Lol removing the whip from Hancock seems awfully harsh, but he won't be missed if this really is the end. I wonder if his book provides any useful information, he'll be distorting a ton of facts to self-congratulate and blame-shift.

I think Hancock is losing the whip they're worried his actions could reflect poorly on a beloved British institution - I'm a Celeb that is, not the Tories.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #2403 on: November 02, 2022, 05:09:09 AM »
« Edited: November 02, 2022, 06:04:45 AM by Torrain »

Glad he’s going - but dispiriting that it took the threat of Johnson upstaging him to get Sunak to change his mind. It all feels like an unforced error - produced by an inflated fear of his own right-leaning MPs, much like the Braverman reappointment. Wonder whether it’s inexperience, or whether the ERG are making credible threats to kneecap his government, given how much leeway he’s given them.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2404 on: November 02, 2022, 06:43:15 AM »

Will they let His Majesty go as well now?
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #2405 on: November 02, 2022, 07:17:13 AM »

PMQs not fantastic for Sunak this week. His Boris impression doesn’t really suit him. And when your closing line against Labour consists solely of attacking Jeremy Corbyn and his support for Hezbollah, you could be credibly accused of running low on relevant material.

Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #2406 on: November 02, 2022, 08:47:48 AM »

Glad he’s going - but dispiriting that it took the threat of Johnson upstaging him to get Sunak to change his mind. It all feels like an unforced error - produced by an inflated fear of his own right-leaning MPs, much like the Braverman reappointment. Wonder whether it’s inexperience, or whether the ERG are making credible threats to kneecap his government, given how much leeway he’s given them.

Given the behavior of right-wing MPs so far, I'd say the fear is well justified. These people have shown they're fully willing to destroy the party to score factional gains.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2407 on: November 02, 2022, 08:56:34 AM »

PMQs not fantastic for Sunak this week. His Boris impression doesn’t really suit him. And when your closing line against Labour consists solely of attacking Jeremy Corbyn and his support for Hezbollah, you could be credibly accused of running low on relevant material.

Genuinely puzzling why he (or, maybe more accurately, those prepping him) seems to think reminding people that Starmer is not Corbyn will somehow be a winning line for the Tories.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #2408 on: November 02, 2022, 09:09:49 AM »

Genuinely puzzling why he (or, maybe more accurately, those prepping him) seems to think reminding people that Starmer is not Corbyn will somehow be a winning line for the Tories.

Yeah, especially given not being Corbyn was basically what allowed the Tories to win the last two elections. Here they're officially ceding the only reason many people voted for them back to Labour.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #2409 on: November 02, 2022, 10:36:25 AM »

Given the behavior of right-wing MPs so far, I'd say the fear is well justified. These people have shown they're fully willing to destroy the party to score factional gains.

Well seeing as destroying the Conservative party would be in the long term interest of the UK we should only wish them well in their endeavours.
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #2410 on: November 02, 2022, 10:47:24 AM »

I don't understand what the point of that, he's a ceremonial figurehead with no power.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #2411 on: November 02, 2022, 11:20:39 AM »

Ben Wallace is meeting with Hunt to discuss funding in the Autumn Statement tomorrow. Asked about MOD funding, Wallace’s line is that he’ll: "fight every bit of the way to see what I can get".

Wallace appears to have rowed back from his “3% of GDP to the MOD or I’ll resign” threat. But it’ll be interesting (and quite important, fiscally) to see who comes out on top, in a heated discussion between the only two ministers with any real political capital in this cabinet.
EastAnglianLefty

« Reply #2412 on: November 02, 2022, 03:59:46 PM »

The weird thing is that even under Starmer I doubt many people outside the traditional hunting pool (the NS, the Mirror, the Guardian etc) in the lobby would ever consider working for Labour.

Not entirely true - Ed Miliband's Comms director was a former Times and Telegraph hack.

I suspect it's slightly less likely these days as the right-wing press has got much more ideological and the divide between comment and reportage has frayed, but even now there are journalists whose personal politics does not match their employer's.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #2413 on: November 02, 2022, 04:52:00 PM »

Masterclass in government comms:

CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2414 on: November 03, 2022, 09:26:16 AM »

I don't understand what the point of that, he's a ceremonial figurehead with no power.

Before he became the monarch, his interest in this topic was a widely known matter of record. There's a reason why PM Truss told him he couldn't go just days after his mother died.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #2415 on: November 03, 2022, 12:09:25 PM »
« Edited: November 03, 2022, 12:13:17 PM by Torrain »

Some new polling today - reinforcing the trend we saw earlier in the week that polling has tightened - but with Labour still holding onto 1997-style leads.

Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #2416 on: November 03, 2022, 05:29:48 PM »

Before he became the monarch, his interest in this topic was a widely known matter of record. There's a reason why PM Truss told him he couldn't go just days after his mother died.
So ? I'm interested in climate change doesn't mean I should get to go. The purpose of COP is for policy makers to meet to cordinate their policy response to climate change. King Charles is not a policymaker.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2417 on: November 03, 2022, 05:41:25 PM »

So ? I'm interested in climate change doesn't mean I should get to go. The purpose of COP is for policy makers to meet to cordinate their policy response to climate change. King Charles is not a policymaker.

No, but he has quite a bit of soft power.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2418 on: November 03, 2022, 08:22:22 PM »

In the chat room I go to, there were complaints about the U.K marijuana policy. Does anybody know anything about this?
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #2419 on: November 03, 2022, 08:43:55 PM »

In the chat room I go to, there were complaints about the U.K marijuana policy. Does anybody know anything about this?

All that's happened recently is that Cruella's Home Office initially briefed the press in response to Biden's mass pardon that she contrastingly wants to reclassify marijuana as a class A drug, but that ended up being one of the many things that Truss' No. 10 overruled Suella on during her first 43 days; given Leaky Sue's trendline, Rishi embracing it would be an lol.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2420 on: November 04, 2022, 08:45:48 AM »

For folks more in tune with British politics, is Sunak basically the English version of 2012 Mitt Romney?
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2421 on: November 04, 2022, 08:52:31 AM »

There are definitely parallels if you think about it, I would say.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #2422 on: November 05, 2022, 08:10:22 AM »

For folks more in tune with British politics, is Sunak basically the English version of 2012 Mitt Romney?
A well-manicured, former finance guy from a religious minority, with a well-controlled, but awkward public image that occasionally devolves into out-of-touches gaffes? Can't see the comparison myself...

He's even had a fundraising event that leaked where he said he was "moving money away from deprived areas". It's out of context, but some circles are still working to turn it into his "47%" moment. He also gave an interview as a teenage student where he said he had "aristocrat friends", but "no working class friends".

He's no Liz Truss, but there's plenty of material that can be taken out of context for cheap social media slam-dunks.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #2423 on: November 05, 2022, 01:11:13 PM »

Members of the Border Force are suing the Home Office, via the Public and Commercial Services union. Which is producing some rather eye-catching material.

Speaking about the Manston legal challenge, the PCS head of bargaining, Paul O’Connor, said: “We’re taking this action because conditions at Manston are desperate and a disgrace. We cannot and will not countenance our members and detainees being subjected to these horrendous, inhumane and dangerous conditions.

“We’re aware of detainees sleeping in cold, overcrowded marquees on the floor without bedding; of incidents of violence including at least one incident of sexual violence; of self-harm and suicide attempts; of filthy toilets; of appalling sanitation; of infectious disease spreading due to conditions; and of people going hungry. The home secretary is acting outside the law, as her own minister acknowledges, and there are, we believe, many detainees now held illegally at Manston.”

He added: “Our members are seriously concerned they’re being required to act unlawfully by the home secretary and that they are themselves at risk in the chaotic and lawless environment that has developed at Manston due to the catastrophic failures of the home secretary. We’re asking her to agree to desist from holding detainees beyond the 24-hour statutory time limit at Manston.”

When Braverman went on her rant about the "tofu-eating wokerati" trying to stop her enforcing the border, I'm not sure she expected that "coalition of chaos" (to use another of her phrases) to include some of the actual border guards in question...
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2424 on: November 06, 2022, 10:11:06 AM »

The likes of Braverman can never fail, only be failed. Remember that and it all falls into place.
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 94 95 96 [97] 98 99 100 101 102 ... 231  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies