UK General Discussion: Rishecession
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:05:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Discussion: Rishecession
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 219 220 221 222 223 [224] 225 226 227 228 229 230
Author Topic: UK General Discussion: Rishecession  (Read 240691 times)
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5575 on: March 29, 2024, 09:39:44 AM »

By-election imminent in Lagan Valley?
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #5576 on: March 29, 2024, 09:47:12 AM »

If that happens, really curious how the Alliance and UUP may do there.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #5577 on: March 29, 2024, 10:22:44 AM »

How damaging will this scandal be for the DUP?

The DUP are the worst party in the British political scene by a country mile; shameless nativist anti-Catholic religious cultists.

('but SNP same hur dur'-yeah go f-inks yourselves)
EastAnglianLefty

« Reply #5578 on: March 29, 2024, 10:38:50 AM »

Probably not. You can continue to serve as an MP whilst charged with a criminal offence and the seat is only considered to be vacated if a sentence of more than 12 months imprisonment is passed. In practice, if the case proceeds to trial there is no way it will be held before the end of the year.

So the only reasons to resign would be if Donaldson chose to or if the DUP pressured him to do so. I do not think a by-election which would probably focus on the reasons for the resignation would be somethingthe DUP would look forward to, so they're probably not going to pressure him to do so.

However, given the likelihood that criminal proceedings will be in preparation at the next general election, it's probable that the DUP will select a new candidate for the seat.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #5579 on: March 29, 2024, 06:26:24 PM »

UK General Discussion: The Good Friday Arraignment
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #5580 on: March 30, 2024, 08:51:32 AM »

Matthew Parris: "I'm a sane moderate voice, the reasonable face of the Tories".
Also Matthew Parris: "We can't afford all these old people, let's do Logan's Run IRL".

It's stuff like this that hardens my skepticism about assisted dying. I just don't fully trust this country wouldn't head into a quasi-Canadian "euthanise grandma to save ✨our NHS✨" mode, somewhere down the line.
Property Representative of the Harold Holt Swimming Centre
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

P P P
« Reply #5581 on: March 30, 2024, 08:55:13 AM »

Also Matthew Parris: "We can't afford all these old people, let's do Logan's Run IRL".

It's stuff like this that hardens my skepticism about assisted dying. I just don't fully trust this country wouldn't head into a quasi-Canadian "euthanise grandma to save ✨our NHS✨" mode, somewhere down the line.

I see anyone who phones Samaritans being met with the message "if you would like to end your own life, please press hash for further information".
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #5582 on: March 30, 2024, 10:38:06 AM »

Parris has produced a fair amount of fairly ghoulish stuff recently.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #5583 on: March 30, 2024, 10:57:56 AM »

Wasn't it him who wrote a full column stating that neither autism or ADHD existed, and it was all the fault of bad parenting... in 2024? There's so much guff in the opinion pages these days, that it's hard to keep track.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5584 on: March 30, 2024, 11:10:01 AM »

I've seen Logan's Run myself. The Senate chamber full of cats is a definite improvement.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #5585 on: March 30, 2024, 11:11:22 AM »

Parris has always hidden some quite unpleasant views behind that shit-eating grin.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #5586 on: March 30, 2024, 11:21:27 AM »

I truly cannot imagine someone looking at the MAID debacle in Canada and thinking, "sure, let's do *that* here,"
JimJamUK
United Kingdom

« Reply #5587 on: March 30, 2024, 12:06:31 PM »

The Canadian overreach was significantly influenced by the courts first ruling that it was a constitutional right for the terminally ill, and then expanding this ruling to include those who aren’t even terminally ill. We thankfully don’t have such judicial overreach here, and as a supporter of assisted dying for the genuinely terminally ill, the reticence of our politicians to legalise it despite widespread public support suggests they wouldn’t rush towards a Canadian style system anytime soon.

FWIW, I’m not sure legalising it for the terminally ill would lead to a slippery slope. It would normalise it which could lead to further liberalisation, but at the same time keeping things as they are risks a more sweeping bill in the future getting support from people who mainly want it just for the terminally ill. See the Northern Ireland abortion law for an example of this (the law was so restrictive that MPs overwhelmingly voted for a bill more liberal than the one we have in GB).
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #5588 on: March 31, 2024, 07:49:53 AM »

Parris has always hidden some quite unpleasant views behind that shit-eating grin.

But has recently got a free pass from many because he opposed Brexit.
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #5589 on: March 31, 2024, 08:07:00 AM »

There's a long list of genuinely unpleasant Tories (certainly unpleasant in terms of views) who in recent years have been counted as fluffy moderates in certain circles due to not being staunch Brexiteers. One such example is Phillip Hammond - staunchly on the dry side of the Tory Party from what I can gather, and seemingly isn't too keen on LGBT rights either.

Boris Johnson, whatever else you might say about him, isn't as bad as a good 100 or more current Tory MPs in an ideological sense. Mostly because he doesn't have much of an ideology. 
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #5590 on: March 31, 2024, 09:23:03 AM »

Boris Johnson, whatever else you might say about him, isn't as bad as a good 100 or more current Tory MPs in an ideological sense. Mostly because he doesn't have much of an ideology. 

Agreed, though that's not entirely a good thing either - it explains how he can mix so easily with the Bannon/Orban types as well.
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #5591 on: March 31, 2024, 02:48:01 PM »

Agreed, though that's not entirely a good thing either - it explains how he can mix so easily with the Bannon/Orban types as well.

Indeed, I think the combination of unscrupulousness and ideological flexibility can be pretty dangerous.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #5592 on: March 31, 2024, 03:43:10 PM »
« Edited: April 01, 2024, 01:20:07 AM by ingemann »

There's a long list of genuinely unpleasant Tories (certainly unpleasant in terms of views) who in recent years have been counted as fluffy moderates in certain circles due to not being staunch Brexiteers. One such example is Phillip Hammond - staunchly on the dry side of the Tory Party from what I can gather, and seemingly isn't too keen on LGBT rights either.

I think politicians without an ideology are worse than politicians with terrible ideologies. If you go into politics only for yourself, you don’t have any limits for what you will do, which I think Boris Johnson is a great example of.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #5593 on: April 01, 2024, 05:41:14 AM »

Wasn't it him who wrote a full column stating that neither autism or ADHD existed, and it was all the fault of bad parenting... in 2024? There's so much guff in the opinion pages these days, that it's hard to keep track.

Also some "wHy Oh WhY CaN'T wE tAlK aBoUt ImMiGrAtIoN??!!!!!??!!!?Huh?!!111!!!" pieces.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #5594 on: April 01, 2024, 06:32:39 AM »

Also some "wHy Oh WhY CaN'T wE tAlK aBoUt ImMiGrAtIoN??!!!!!??!!!?Huh?!!111!!!" pieces.

Him too - seriously? I remember the Matthew Syed piece running that line, that literally came in the break between the Rwanda Bill being considered by the Commons and the Lords. Starting to wonder whether the Times writes more articles about how they *can't* talk about immigration than they actually have pieces on the subject itself.

But it's not like we don't focus on that issue enough. Without going back to Elledge's theory *again*, the determination to raise the saliency of immigration, on the part of the papers and government alike helped get them into the CON: 20%, REFORM: 16% hole in the first place...
oldtimer
Greece

« Reply #5595 on: April 01, 2024, 12:22:18 PM »

He's the poster boy for the "Far Center".

Living proof that there are 3 extremes, not just left and right.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5596 on: April 02, 2024, 07:07:43 PM »

"Brexiteers running away from Brexit is fast becoming the new normal. You want to know the most amazing--the Conservative Party itself. I just read through its website--trying to see what they are saying about Brexit. Short answer--almost nothing.

Lets start with what the Conservative Party is calling its most important "Achievements". Some talk of economics, crime, NHS and education--not one mention of Brexit in the entire discussion of achievements. This is most telling

Then the Conservatives Priorities. You might think that if Brexit was not an achievement worth boasting about--then at least taking advantage of supposed Brexit benefits would be a priority. But you would be mistaken--again no Brexit

Indeed, searching on the entire main page of the Conservative Party you will not find Brexit anywhere in anyway. Its like its never happened.

In the entire website, Brexit is only mentioned in the parts for party members (where you can renew your membership or volunteer). However its not mentioned at all in the policy or achievements, or main page. If the Conservatives are now running away from Brexit, its toxic"

TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #5597 on: April 03, 2024, 01:53:35 AM »

Previous governments didn't point to increased European integration as one of their major achievements either. Some argue that that (the lack of a positive defense of EU membership) was a contributing factor to the 2016 referendum result.
Conservatopia
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 0.72, S: 8.60

« Reply #5598 on: April 03, 2024, 07:18:03 AM »

It might be hard for foreigners to understand this but literally people don't talk about Brexit any more. It's not popular, but no-one really cares and it definitely isn't hurting the Tories - they do that well enough themselves.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5599 on: April 03, 2024, 07:40:23 AM »

Reviving the Brexit issue is IMO one of the few ways Labour can blow up their massive lead now, and perhaps lose if they are doing it after entering government.  Yes, the country overall seems to have a majority now in favor of some nebulous type of reintegration, so Labour do have a justification.

However,  as noted, it's just a dead and done issue to many, and the cost of living is now the order of the day. This change in voter behavior is why Labour are going to win (and already have in some By-Elections) many seats where the electorate is still going to defend Brexit, sometimes fiercely. Digging the issue back up is just going to reopen the polarized divides within the Labour vote, and give the Tories ways to easily win back the electorate.
Pages: 1 ... 219 220 221 222 223 [224] 225 226 227 228 229 230  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies