UK General Discussion: Rishecession
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:09:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Discussion: Rishecession
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 218 219 220 221 222 [223] 224 225 226 227 228 ... 230
Author Topic: UK General Discussion: Rishecession  (Read 240913 times)
LabourJersey
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5550 on: March 25, 2024, 02:34:23 PM »

The probability of a Conservative victory is 50%. Either it happens, or it doesn’t.

The probability of me marrying Sydney Sweeney is 50%. Either it happens, or it doesn't.
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5551 on: March 25, 2024, 04:16:01 PM »

The probability of a Conservative victory is 50%. Either it happens, or it doesn’t.

The probability of me marrying Sydney Sweeney is 50%. Either it happens, or it doesn't.

Same for me, which means that statistically speaking, one of us will marry her.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5552 on: March 25, 2024, 04:32:54 PM »

That's not how probability works in that case. There's a 25% chance you both marry her and a 25% she'd be available for someone else to marry.

But not me. Too young for me.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #5553 on: March 26, 2024, 10:48:07 AM »

Had the Fixed Term Parliaments Act not been repealed, I believe the Commons would have automatically dissolved today, for a May 2nd election.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5554 on: March 26, 2024, 03:44:22 PM »

Anyone want to build a Northern Megacity?

"Wow, not seen this before. The UK (excluding London) is shockingly poor. Big problems with a mono-polar economy, even across a multinational union.

h/t @john_tomaney on LinkedIn"

Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5555 on: March 27, 2024, 12:07:21 PM »

"Wow, not seen this before. The UK (excluding London) is shockingly poor. Big problems with a mono-polar economy, even across a multinational union.

Chicago is wealthier than LA? I wouldn't have guessed. I know family and friends who moved to Chicago because places like NY or LA were apparently too expensive. Other midwestern cities were too depressing as well.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #5556 on: March 27, 2024, 01:36:53 PM »

Photos from a recent visit by a London dignitary to a typical provincial British town:

LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #5557 on: March 27, 2024, 07:51:04 PM »

Chicago is wealthier than LA? I wouldn't have guessed. I know family and friends who moved to Chicago because places like NY or LA were apparently too expensive. Other midwestern cities were too depressing as well.

The chart is PPP-adjusted, which if I understand things correctly accounts for cost of living. That might explain it.

Anyway, I entirely agree with the point made on the UK. Outside London and the city centers of some Northern cities (central Manchester, Durham, York), the UK is not a wealthy or prosperous nation.

I once had to stop in Preston to change trains (was going from Manchester to Edinburgh) and it was one of the grimmest places I've been to. Newark, New Jersey seems positively vibrant compared to Preston!
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #5558 on: March 27, 2024, 11:01:37 PM »

But which of you will it be? That's what we in the business call a statistical tie.
pikachu
United States

« Reply #5559 on: March 28, 2024, 12:10:16 AM »

How much worse is regional inequality in the UK compared to other countries with a primate city?
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #5560 on: March 28, 2024, 01:56:49 AM »

The chart is PPP-adjusted, which if I understand things correctly accounts for cost of living. That might explain it.

Anyway, I entirely agree with the point made on the UK. Outside London and the city centers of some Northern cities (central Manchester, Durham, York), the UK is not a wealthy or prosperous nation.

I once had to stop in Preston to change trains (was going from Manchester to Edinburgh) and it was one of the grimmest places I've been to. Newark, New Jersey seems positively vibrant compared to Preston!
That's an improvement. Back in the 90's I did a lot of away days with Spurs and some of the northern towns looked third world to me. Old Ayersome Park or Blackburn were rough for me
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #5561 on: March 28, 2024, 07:38:36 AM »

This is somewhere where the last Labour government did make a difference, even if ultimately not as much as some would have wished.
EastAnglianLefty

« Reply #5562 on: March 28, 2024, 09:43:34 AM »

Without meaning to suggest that Preston is the eighth wonder of the world, train stations and their environs are famously poor indicators of the wealth of a town.
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #5563 on: March 28, 2024, 09:55:50 AM »

I've been to Preston. Didn't feel that bad. Though I did have a hard time finding a shop that sold creme fraiche/sour cream. Is that considered a posh ingredient in the UK?
oldtimer
Greece

« Reply #5564 on: March 28, 2024, 04:37:02 PM »

How much worse is regional inequality in the UK compared to other countries with a primate city?

Much worse.

Glasgow has a similar life expectancy to Gaza.

Basically since Thatcherism the UK, with the exception of London's financial district and it's rural aristocratic estates, is as poor as some in eastern europe.

Her "they don't deserve to live" religious attitute and economic puritanism caused permanent economic damage to Britain:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2011/dec/30/thatcher-government-liverpool-riots-1981

By the time she left, Italy had a larger economy.
JimJamUK
United Kingdom

« Reply #5565 on: March 29, 2024, 05:08:23 AM »

A 61 year old man and his wife from County Down have been arrested over historical child sex offences. I am posting so posters are aware of the story, I would be very cautious posting any speculation beyond that.
IceAgeComing
United Kingdom

« Reply #5566 on: March 29, 2024, 06:12:23 AM »

On an entirely unrelated note; loyalist figure Jamie Bryson (who is not the most sensible of people; but who was basically live tweeting a DUP leadership meeting over going back into government so clearly gets told things by people there) reporting an emergency DUP leadership meeting this afternoon following Jeffrey Donaldson withdrawing from all of the events he was planned to do.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #5567 on: March 29, 2024, 06:47:45 AM »

On an entirely unrelated note; loyalist figure Jamie Bryson (who is not the most sensible of people; but who was basically live tweeting a DUP leadership meeting over going back into government so clearly gets told things by people there) reporting an emergency DUP leadership meeting this afternoon following Jeffrey Donaldson withdrawing from all of the events he was planned to do.

On a related note, oh boy, Kate Hoey did fall in quite a rabbit hole.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #5568 on: March 29, 2024, 07:05:33 AM »

Lisburn: the Rochdale of Ulster. Because of the mills. Clearly.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #5569 on: March 29, 2024, 07:48:09 AM »

I've been to Preston. Didn't feel that bad. Though I did have a hard time finding a shop that sold creme fraiche/sour cream. Is that considered a posh ingredient in the UK?

It is fairly readily available in darkest Cumbria, so maybe you were just unlucky.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #5570 on: March 29, 2024, 07:58:08 AM »

CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #5571 on: March 29, 2024, 08:01:04 AM »

Gavin Robinson MP is the new (interim) DUP leader.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #5572 on: March 29, 2024, 08:33:30 AM »

Rumours flying about that Donaldson is the guy who used the snooker at the HoC to fornicate
Property Representative of the Harold Holt Swimming Centre
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

P P P
« Reply #5573 on: March 29, 2024, 08:44:32 AM »

Rumours flying about that Donaldson is the guy who used the snooker at the HoC to fornicate

Anyone who knows anything about snooker will know that there's about a trillion inappropriate potential puns here...
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #5574 on: March 29, 2024, 09:35:16 AM »

How damaging will this scandal be for the DUP?
Pages: 1 ... 218 219 220 221 222 [223] 224 225 226 227 228 ... 230  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies