UK General Discussion: Rishecession
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:19:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Discussion: Rishecession
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 ... 230
Author Topic: UK General Discussion: Rishecession  (Read 240973 times)
Property Representative of the Harold Holt Swimming Centre
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #525 on: September 29, 2022, 12:10:59 PM »

Resignations could be imminent, particularly at a junior level. These polls together with Truss's tour of the radio stations this morning and her and Kwarteng's indications that they are as stubborn as pregnant hens in an ocean of superglue could be something of a straw.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #526 on: September 29, 2022, 12:15:08 PM »

So, if Truss is the Kim Campbell in this hilarious scenario, who would the Jean Charest and Elsie Wayne be?
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #527 on: September 29, 2022, 12:16:21 PM »

So, if Truss is the Kim Campbell in this hilarious scenario, who would the Jean Charest and Elsie Wayne be?

Presumably Rishi & [INSERT Rando Tory Backbencher HERE]
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #528 on: September 29, 2022, 12:16:53 PM »

Sunak and Ben Houchen running for and winning a Tees seat off the back of local kudos.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #529 on: September 29, 2022, 12:17:24 PM »

Alex Niven maybe didn't choose the optimum moment to go full on accelerationist, all told.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #530 on: September 29, 2022, 12:19:07 PM »

Wonder if there is a way via strategic voting to end up with LD as the opposition party.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #531 on: September 29, 2022, 12:20:05 PM »

If Truss is Campbell, who is Manning
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #532 on: September 29, 2022, 12:20:21 PM »

Absolutely astonishing to recall that when Keir was elected leader, Labour was 23 pts. behind in the polls; today, they're up 33 pts. That's a swing of 50%!

Things can only get f**king better.
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #533 on: September 29, 2022, 12:22:47 PM »

Charest: David Duguid
Wayne: Lia Nici

(As long as this analogy doesn't mean we get SNP Official Opposition, Christ)
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #534 on: September 29, 2022, 12:23:45 PM »

Its less than 18 months since Johnson went to Hartlepool during the by-election campaign there and was treated almost as a rock star - "lifelong Labour voters" posing for selfies with him and all, whilst the hapless (and utterly ineptly parachuted) Labour candidate was openly laughed at in the street.

I know things can change fast in politics, but the transformation since mid-2021 takes some beating.
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #535 on: September 29, 2022, 12:23:48 PM »

Wonder if there is a way via strategic voting to end up with LD as the opposition party.

Seeing the SNP as the official opposition would be hilarious too. Canada 1993
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #536 on: September 29, 2022, 12:27:24 PM »

Who would be Preston Manning here though cause you need that to make 1993 work as well
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #537 on: September 29, 2022, 12:28:41 PM »

Broke: Charlie Cook talking about Florida in 2020
Woke: LAB ISLE OF WIGHT
Wiswylfen
eadmund

Political Matrix
E: -2.32, S: 4.17

« Reply #538 on: September 29, 2022, 12:30:08 PM »

Sunak and Ben Houchen running for and winning a Tees seat off the back of local kudos.

About that...
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #539 on: September 29, 2022, 12:33:21 PM »

It's just completely surreal to see the pace of this. Obviously I've seen leaders manage to completely wreck their countries' economies (and their own parties' standing in the process), but I don't recall anything happening close to this fast. Campbell at least had like three months somewhat holding the line before the nosedive. Liz Truss became Prime Minister this month!
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #540 on: September 29, 2022, 12:36:46 PM »

Bloc Caledonia

It's just completely surreal to see the pace of this. Obviously I've seen leaders manage to completely wreck their countries' economies (and their own parties' standing in the process), but I don't recall anything happening close to this fast. Campbell at least had like three months somewhat holding the line before the nosedive. Liz Truss became Prime Minister this month!

To think, it could've been even quicker had government business not come to a rather screeching halt for 11 days.
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #541 on: September 29, 2022, 12:41:40 PM »

The 15% for Truss as preferred PM is just as amazing/amusing as the voting intentions. Incumbent PMs tend to have an inbuilt advantage on this question, and this poll was conducted when most of the country hadn't seen or heard her and her dazzling media performances in almost a week.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #542 on: September 29, 2022, 12:42:01 PM »

Ian Blackford as LoTO...
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #543 on: September 29, 2022, 12:46:20 PM »

And most of this month the government went into stasis while the crown changed hands.  Truss has essentially only been PM for about a week!
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #544 on: September 29, 2022, 12:51:04 PM »

The 15% for Truss as preferred PM is just as amazing/amusing as the voting intentions. Incumbent PMs tend to have an inbuilt advantage on this question, and this poll was conducted when most of the country hadn't seen or heard her and her dazzling media performances in almost a week.

Well, nobody has actually voted for Truss (save for a handful of Con party members) so there's really no attachment to her whatsoever.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #545 on: September 29, 2022, 12:51:28 PM »

Scene: Truss shakes hands with Queen.

Scratch

'Yup. That's me. You might be wondering how I got here...'

TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #546 on: September 29, 2022, 12:54:34 PM »

Well, nobody has actually voted for Truss (save for a handful of Con party members) so there's really no attachment to her whatsoever.

Major enjoyed very high ratings on becoming PM, even though he was just as unknown as Truss and elected by merely the parliamentary party.

And to be pedantic, no one outside of South West Norfolk can vote for Truss. Smiley
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #547 on: September 29, 2022, 01:00:11 PM »

Scene: Truss shakes hands with Queen.

Scratch

'Yup. That's me. You might be wondering how I got here...'

bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #548 on: September 29, 2022, 01:10:17 PM »

On discord I've been reminded of a post I wrote in 2019, so I'm going to quote it, partialy to collect accolades, but also to make what I think is a very important point.

This election, 2017, 2015 in Scotland, if they have shown one thing,  have shown that the electorate is incredibly volatile, and prior performance is no indication of future success. All current majorities are like the foolish man who built his house upon the sand, and could disappear tomorrow. Boris Johnson is not beloved now, and his support is conditional, but even if he was and it wasn’t there is no reason at all to doubt that Labour can win easily in 2024. No reason, that is, based on fundamentals and national conditions, plenty based on the track record of the Labour party.

If you consider yourself a serious follower of elections, as I believe most people on here do, you should never ever forget that politics is not a sports league, parties previous victories and vote totals do not accumulate allowing them to build an insurmountable lead. At each and every election their votes start from zero, and each one of those votes has to be earnt anew. This is especially true with the secular trend across western democracies towards increased swings and reduced party loyalties. Even after the biggest landslide, when everything seems most hopeless, there is no majority on earth so large that it necessarily takes 2 or 3 cycles to dislodge.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #549 on: September 29, 2022, 01:15:57 PM »

Jean Charest would be one of the Scottish MPs strongly against independence (doubt any Tories in Scotland survive though) and Elsie Wayne some older female MP who doesn't like gays (she was very homophobic)
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 ... 230  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies