Alaska's special election under a conventional voting system
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 05:05:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Alaska's special election under a conventional voting system
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Who would have won the 2022 Alaska's at-large congressional district special election if it had been held under conventional rules?
Sarah Palin
Nick Begich
Al Gross
Mary Peltola
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Alaska's special election under a conventional voting system  (Read 1618 times)
Reactionary Libertarian
ReactionaryLibertarian
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2022, 04:49:04 PM »

Palin would have won the GOP primary, then faced Peltola in the general. Probably would be closer than under RCV, but still conceivable that Peltola could eke out a win. Either way there would be a big Dem overperformance.
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2022, 06:51:47 PM »

My math may be wrong. But Peltola only won because so many Begich voters did not put a second choice, exhausting their ballot

I showed in my first post that this was most likely not the case. Saying "Palin would have won all the exhausted votes" is pretty lazy.

Palin only needed 5,000 votes to win.  Hard not to imagine a scenario under a traditional system where that wouldn't have happened.  A lot of people simply didn't know how the system worked.  It's essentially a form of voter fraud by disenfranchising Republican voters.

No.
wesmoorenerd
westroopnerd
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -7.13

« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2022, 07:50:58 PM »

My math may be wrong. But Peltola only won because so many Begich voters did not put a second choice, exhausting their ballot

I showed in my first post that this was most likely not the case. Saying "Palin would have won all the exhausted votes" is pretty lazy.

Palin only needed 5,000 votes to win.  Hard not to imagine a scenario under a traditional system where that wouldn't have happened.  A lot of people simply didn't know how the system worked.  It's essentially a form of voter fraud by disenfranchising Republican voters.

You're right, Republicans are disproportionately likely to not know how to read.
wesmoorenerd
westroopnerd
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -7.13

« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2022, 07:52:33 PM »

As for all the Republicans seething about an RCV system you believe to be illogical and undemocratic, just wait until you learn about the Electoral College!
Spectator
United States

« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2022, 10:32:03 PM »

But if Begich voters didn't understand this, then they may not be real happy with the end result if what they really preferred was a Republican.

Why do you think Republican voters are this stupid?  It's sad you feel this way about supporters of your own party, tbh.

It's a new consideration; considering the ramification of choosing vs. not choosing a "2nd choice" or "ranked choices" (if there are more than 2 candidates from your party in a "Jungle Primary" format (where Ds and Rs and Is all appear on the same ballot). 

I'm sure lots of voters didn't think twice about the consequences of this until they went to vote, and, even, then, it may not have been clear.

It’s about as difficult of a concept as tying your shoes.
Spectator
United States

« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2022, 01:16:05 AM »

I did the math. Very rough math that may be wrong.

But in a conventional election, I think Palin wins 51-49%

Can you show your work? Because if you allocate the 11.4k exhausted votes the same way the non-exhausted votes were (37.2% Peltola, 62.8% Palin), it comes out to about 95.4k votes for Peltola and 93.1k votes for Palin.
Sorry for the late reply

In the first round, Peltola got 40.19. Palin got 31.27 and Begich got 28.53 percent.

28.7 of Begich votes put Peltola as their second choice. 50.4 put Palin. 20.9 did not put a second choice.

If we assume Palin won a tradational Republican primary and all the Begich voters who put Peltola as second choice voted for her in the general, that leaves Peltoa with 48% of the vote in the general

Aren’t you assuming Palin wins all of Begich’s exhausted votes in that scenario? I don’t think that’s a good assumption.
While we can not know for sure what percentage of Begich's exhausted votes would have voted for Palin, I think most would have.

If they wanted Peltola as their second choice, they would have put her as their second choice. Sure, some did not want either Palin or Peltoa. These folks are like the Republicans who would have voted for Kasich or Rubio, but never Trump or Hillary. So basically a group incredibly few in number.

That is frankly lazy and insulting analysis to assume those 20% of exhausted voters would have went to Palin by large enough a margin to overcome Peltola’s 5,000+ vote lead. A little over 10,000 Begich voters abstained, and to win Palin would have needed at least a 75-25 percentage point margin, and I don’t see that happening based on how Peltola kept Palin to a relatively small 50-29 margin among Begich’s 2nd place voters. Peltola almost certainly wins a head to head match up in the normal against Palin if you hold all else constant, like the voter composition and no indie splitting the anti-Palin vote.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2022, 02:15:13 PM »

The idea that people are too dumb to understand ranking their preferences is just hilarious to me. Go ask anyone to list their top 5 favorite movies or foods, they won't have a problem.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2022, 02:16:38 PM »

Not necessarily. In a conventional primary and general style election, the equivalent result would be if Palin won the GOP primary, but just enough of Begich's voters either didn't vote or crossed over for Peltola to give her the win (which is not unlikely given Begich's family history in Democratic politics and the state's quirky coalition-style politics being more Democratic state downballot). There's no guarantee that Palin would have been able to consolidate all voters whose ballots were exhausted. If anything, one could also make the case that some of these exhausted Begich/write-in voters were showing a vote of no confidence in Palin as a candidate and could have been open to voting for Peltola in a standard general election.

Regardless, Alaskan voters approved RCV, which was well-known to the public before the election (hardly a case of "voter fraud" or whatever). It's incumbent on the candidates to be shrewd enough to play by the rules established in a given electoral system.

I really don't like this system.  Not at all.  This system is an example of it's not who votes for whom; it's how the votes are counted up.
Agree, we shouldn’t be counting votes.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2022, 03:18:05 PM »

Not necessarily. In a conventional primary and general style election, the equivalent result would be if Palin won the GOP primary, but just enough of Begich's voters either didn't vote or crossed over for Peltola to give her the win (which is not unlikely given Begich's family history in Democratic politics and the state's quirky coalition-style politics being more Democratic state downballot). There's no guarantee that Palin would have been able to consolidate all voters whose ballots were exhausted. If anything, one could also make the case that some of these exhausted Begich/write-in voters were showing a vote of no confidence in Palin as a candidate and could have been open to voting for Peltola in a standard general election.

Regardless, Alaskan voters approved RCV, which was well-known to the public before the election (hardly a case of "voter fraud" or whatever). It's incumbent on the candidates to be shrewd enough to play by the rules established in a given electoral system.

I really don't like this system.  Not at all.  This system is an example of it's not who votes for whom; it's how the votes are counted up.
There’s nothing particularly complicated about RCV. It literally just means you do a series of runoffs all at once. Do you think runoffs are inherently illegitimate or undemocratic?
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2022, 05:41:23 PM »

I did the math. Very rough math that may be wrong.

But in a conventional election, I think Palin wins 51-49%

Can you show your work? Because if you allocate the 11.4k exhausted votes the same way the non-exhausted votes were (37.2% Peltola, 62.8% Palin), it comes out to about 95.4k votes for Peltola and 93.1k votes for Palin.
Sorry for the late reply

In the first round, Peltola got 40.19. Palin got 31.27 and Begich got 28.53 percent.

28.7 of Begich votes put Peltola as their second choice. 50.4 put Palin. 20.9 did not put a second choice.

If we assume Palin won a tradational Republican primary and all the Begich voters who put Peltola as second choice voted for her in the general, that leaves Peltoa with 48% of the vote in the general

Aren’t you assuming Palin wins all of Begich’s exhausted votes in that scenario? I don’t think that’s a good assumption.
While we can not know for sure what percentage of Begich's exhausted votes would have voted for Palin, I think most would have.

If they wanted Peltola as their second choice, they would have put her as their second choice. Sure, some did not want either Palin or Peltoa. These folks are like the Republicans who would have voted for Kasich or Rubio, but never Trump or Hillary. So basically a group incredibly few in number.

That is frankly lazy and insulting analysis to assume those 20% of exhausted voters would have went to Palin by large enough a margin to overcome Peltola’s 5,000+ vote lead. A little over 10,000 Begich voters abstained, and to win Palin would have needed at least a 75-25 percentage point margin, and I don’t see that happening based on how Peltola kept Palin to a relatively small 50-29 margin among Begich’s 2nd place voters. Peltola almost certainly wins a head to head match up in the normal against Palin if you hold all else constant, like the voter composition and no indie splitting the anti-Palin vote.
Neither me nor you knows exactly how the exhausted Begich votes would have went

They could have followed the 50-29 split like the Begich voters who actually listed a second choice, giving Peltola the win. This is what you suggest.

Alternatively, most would have went to Palin. Perhaps they were Republicans who just didn’t want to list dumbass Palin or a Democrat. Or didn’t fully understand RCV. Or perhaps forgot.

I do not know if it was the former or the latter. I suspect the latter but I am not arguing for that.

Regardless, it was going to end up the closest Alaska race in a generation.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2022, 06:08:35 PM »

The idea that people are too dumb to understand ranking their preferences is just hilarious to me. Go ask anyone to list their top 5 favorite movies or foods, they won't have a problem.

I disagree, that's actually kind of hard.

BUT to your point, when your choices of how you want to rank a selection is presented in front of you, it's fairly easy.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies