UN Report on China's Human Rights Abuses in Xinjiang Province Finally Released
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 05:49:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UN Report on China's Human Rights Abuses in Xinjiang Province Finally Released
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: UN Report on China's Human Rights Abuses in Xinjiang Province Finally Released  (Read 444 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 01, 2022, 11:02:50 PM »

Finally the United Nations acknowledges the obvious:

The report calls for an urgent international response over allegations of torture and other rights violations in Beijing's campaign to root out terrorism.

U.N. human rights chief Michelle Bachelet brushed aside Chinese calls for her office to withhold the report, which follows her own trip to Xinjiang in May and which Beijing's contends is part of a Western campaign to smear China's reputation.

The report has fanned a tug-of-war for diplomatic influence with the West over the rights of the region’s native Uyghurs and other predominantly Muslim ethnic groups.

The report, which Western diplomats and U.N. officials said had been all but ready for months, was published with just minutes to go in Bachelet's four-year term. It was unexpected to break significant new ground beyond sweeping findings from independent advocacy groups and journalists who have documented concerns about human rights in Xinjiang for years.

But Bachelet’s report comes with the imprimatur of the United Nations, and the member states that make it up. The run-up to its release fueled a debate over China’s influence at the world body and epitomized the on-and-off diplomatic chill between Beijing and the West over human rights, among other sore spots.

President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2022, 04:22:40 AM »

I appreciate that they did not use the utterly over-used term "genocide" and instead went for something more measured while still acknowledging that something horrid is happening in that part of the world, and rigorously investigating.
They did their jobs well.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2022, 07:29:14 AM »

Yeah, considering the UN's usual "diplomatic" standards this is a pretty decent report.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2022, 11:46:43 AM »

I appreciate that they did not use the utterly over-used term "genocide" and instead went for something more measured while still acknowledging that something horrid is happening in that part of the world, and rigorously investigating.

Why not use genocide, if that's happening?
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2022, 12:29:33 PM »
« Edited: September 02, 2022, 12:35:23 PM by Southern Delegate and Atlasian AG Punxsutawney Phil »

The word genocide is (increasingly?) watered down in the popular lexicon and I'm glad they opted for "crime against humanity". I've long been rather critical of the tendency for laymen to just use it (it here meaning the word "genocide") as some umbrella term for this massive variety of atrocities and I was never comfortable with the term's usage in the context of Xinjiang (where it was always extremely presumptive about a rather opaque situation).
In any case, good for the UN for giving us a gold-standard report as to what actually is going on there. They'd have the most incentive to put out the complete truth, than any other group that has weighed in so far.
super6646
Canada

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2022, 09:24:43 PM »

The word genocide is (increasingly?) watered down in the popular lexicon and I'm glad they opted for "crime against humanity". I've long been rather critical of the tendency for laymen to just use it (it here meaning the word "genocide") as some umbrella term for this massive variety of atrocities and I was never comfortable with the term's usage in the context of Xinjiang (where it was always extremely presumptive about a rather opaque situation).
In any case, good for the UN for giving us a gold-standard report as to what actually is going on there. They'd have the most incentive to put out the complete truth, than any other group that has weighed in so far.

It can be a very controversial word, especially given that proving intent is almost impossible in these circumstances. Is the intent of the Chinese government to eradicate, in part or in full, the ueygers? Idk, the Chinese could say their intent is to deal with a security threat in xinjiang, but what China is doing is disgusting regardless of how you want to frame it.

As far as I’m aware, the only two genocides that don’t have any controversy attached to them is Rwanda and the Holocaust.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2022, 04:34:29 AM »

As far as I’m aware, the only two genocides that don’t have any controversy attached to them is Rwanda and the Holocaust.

Even the latter has disputes over its actual definition.

I think that Cambodia in 1975-79 is also pretty widely accepted.
super6646
Canada

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2022, 04:49:52 PM »

Sorry, but I think the holocaust is an irrefutable genocide. The term genocide was coined BECAUSE of the Holocaust.

Forgot about Cambodia, but that one is pretty clear too.
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2022, 04:56:39 PM »

Sorry, but I think the holocaust is an irrefutable genocide. The term genocide was coined BECAUSE of the Holocaust.

OP was referring to the question of whether or not non-Jewish victims of the Nazi extermination campaigns (mostly Roma, but others as well) are a part of the “Holocaust” genocide, or separate genocides in their own right.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2022, 05:34:43 PM »

It's called assimilation.
super6646
Canada

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2022, 08:31:45 PM »

OP was referring to the question of whether or not non-Jewish victims of the Nazi extermination campaigns (mostly Roma, but others as well) are a part of the “Holocaust” genocide, or separate genocides in their own right.

Ah okay. That makes a lot more sense. Apologies for insinuating otherwise.
super6646
Canada

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2022, 08:32:10 PM »

Ah okay. That makes a lot more sense. Apologies for insinuating otherwise Cumbrian.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2022, 05:56:33 AM »

Ah okay. That makes a lot more sense. Apologies for insinuating otherwise.

No problem Smiley
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies