Celebrities that would be dead today with 1700s healthcare
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 04:20:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Celebrities that would be dead today with 1700s healthcare
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Celebrities that would be dead today with 1700s healthcare  (Read 621 times)
Plankton5165

P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 30, 2022, 09:20:48 PM »

In 1799, George Washington died after people drained out 40% of his blood while to trying to get to his airway.

They were also unsuccessful in getting William Henry Harrison to live on past his cold in 1841.

And in 1865, they flat out determined there was no means whatsoever of having Lincoln recover from his bullet.

I hear healthcare is easily way better today in 2022. But with healthcare back in these kind of days, which celebrities that are still living would be dead now?
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2022, 09:32:24 PM »

One which immediately comes to mind - Rushdie is alive currently, and I really doubt he would be had this happened 225 years ago.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2022, 09:36:47 PM »

Even by 1881 standards, Garfield had pretty bad doctors.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2022, 10:03:57 PM »

Bob Odenkirk had a heart attack on the set of Better Call Saul last summer and almost certainly would have died if that happened 250 years ago.

Jason Gray-Stanford (Randy from Monk) very nearly did die of catastrophic heart failure and had to get a transplant.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2022, 11:52:29 PM »

Magic Johnson
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2022, 12:32:42 AM »

Henry Kissinger would surely have been dead a long time ago, which is a damning indictment of modern medical care.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2022, 12:01:58 PM »
« Edited: August 31, 2022, 12:07:41 PM by Northern By the Grace of God »

Robert Lamm
Gary Rossington
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2022, 12:43:28 PM »

With this apply given that he suffers from a disease that didn't manifest itself in the human population until the late 20th century?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2022, 12:44:36 PM »

Regarding lincoln, by all accounts if he were similarly wounded in 2022 he would have surely perished. At best, they might have put him on life support in an irreversible coma for some period of time. John Wilkes Booth got him good, sadly.
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2022, 06:32:44 PM »

Regarding lincoln, by all accounts if he were similarly wounded in 2022 he would have surely perished. At best, they might have put him on life support in an irreversible coma for some period of time. John Wilkes Booth got him good, sadly.

On the flip side, I think that Garfield would’ve lived with modern healthcare though. Maybe McKinley as well.
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.35, S: 0.35

P P
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2022, 10:34:20 PM »

On the flip side, I think that Garfield would’ve lived with modern healthcare though. Maybe McKinley as well.

Garfield 100% would have lived. Even with 1881 healthcare he'd have had good odds with most doctors.

After he died, the autopsy found the bullet on the side of the body the doctor had refused any attempts to search. A protective casing of tissue had formed around it and the surrounding organs were in generally good condition. On the other side of Garfield's body, where the doctor had obsessively searched for the bullet, there were little tunnels all throughout his body and these tunnels were full of all manner of infection and disgusting things.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2022, 12:48:35 AM »

Oh, almost surely. It took several of the stupidest doctors of the 1880s kill Garfield off after several weeks of chronic malpractice even by the days standards.

One of the most simultaneously laughable and tragic facts about the Garfield assassination is the doctors use this newfangled device called a metal detector to try to locate the bullet in him. However, the device was clearly malfunctioning as everywhere over Garfield's body they scanned it registered positive for metal.

Garfield's mattress was lying on a metal frame.
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2022, 01:20:39 AM »

Oh, almost surely. It took several of the stupidest doctors of the 1880s kill Garfield off after several weeks of chronic malpractice even by the days standards.

One of the most simultaneously laughable and tragic facts about the Garfield assassination is the doctors use this newfangled device called a metal detector to try to locate the bullet in him. However, the device was clearly malfunctioning as everywhere over Garfield's body they scanned it registered positive for metal.

Garfield's mattress was lying on a metal frame.

Even better: after discovering the interference from the metal frame, the inventors (who included Alexander Graham Bell) revised their machine to account for the interference and cancel it out. They went back to the doctor (whose first name was Doctor, btw) and convinced him to let them do a second scan.

The doctor only let them scan one side of Garfield's body. The bullet was on the other side as discovered at the autopsy.
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2022, 01:21:36 AM »

1800s healthcare was bad... 1700s healthcare was much worse. If Garfield had been shot in 1781 instead of 1881 I bet doctors would have tried to bleed him to relieve pressure on the wound or some BS and he would have died that same day.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2022, 01:16:10 AM »

Well the obvious answer a few years ago would've been Stephen Hawking.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2022, 06:39:20 PM »
« Edited: September 10, 2022, 01:28:45 PM by Torrain »

Basically most/all with type 1 diabetes (so Halle Berry, Nick Jonas, Sonia Sotomayor, Theresa May are probably all goners).

Serena Williams suffered some pretty bad blood clotting, leading to deep-vein-thrombosis and a pulmonary embolism. She’d have struggled to survive in the early-mid 20th century, let alone the 1700s without a regime of blood thinners.

Similarly, Emilia Clarke (Danaerys) would have very poor odds of surviving the brain haemorrhage she survived irl thanks to emergency surgery. And Joe Biden suffered a similar cerebral haemorrhage in the 1980s - so there’s a chance he might be out of the picture too.

And that’s not covering the many, many celebrities who’ve had cancers tackled thanks to routine screening, or genetic testing. Lance Armstrong, Angelina Jolie, Hugh Jackman, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Cynthia Nixon, the list just goes on and on.
Plankton5165

P
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2022, 11:32:39 AM »

I also don't see how I would make it to my 21st birthday, at least with everything I have been through at the time. I'm 23 now.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies