2023 Chicago Mayoral/Aldermanic Elections
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 09, 2024, 04:40:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  2023 Chicago Mayoral/Aldermanic Elections
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 ... 33
Author Topic: 2023 Chicago Mayoral/Aldermanic Elections  (Read 32821 times)
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #625 on: April 04, 2023, 08:14:49 PM »

Another drop of votes and Johnson went up another quarter of a percent.

Also, these GOP tears are SALTY... and tasty.  Smile Glad y'all are claiming your mans though, we don't want him.
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #626 on: April 04, 2023, 08:16:47 PM »

Also, these GOP tears are SALTY... and tasty.  Smile Glad y'all are claiming your mans though, we don't want him.

I am sad. I love Chicago. I was there last weekend. This sort’ve seems like a now or never point to save it but I guess the people of Chicago want to be Detroit.
Gracile
gracile
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

« Reply #627 on: April 04, 2023, 08:18:05 PM »

Johnson has extended his lead to 50.38-49.62 (a little less than 4k votes), and it should increase further with mail-in ballots.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #628 on: April 04, 2023, 08:18:24 PM »

Chicago voters voted for St. Louis, and they're going to get it good and hard. The city might not clear 2 million next census if Brandon gets his way.
Which Brandon?
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #629 on: April 04, 2023, 08:19:42 PM »

Chicago voters voted for St. Louis, and they're going to get it good and hard. The city might not clear 2 million next census if Brandon gets his way.

We have to wait and see, within a year. Who does he pick as his police commissioner?

Paul Vallas?

I don't think Vallas would take the job, would he? What about Val Demings? Cause a lot of cops and firefighters will be filing for retirement, and no one is joining to be a cop these days.
John Forbes Kerrygold 🧈
ObamasWaffle
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #630 on: April 04, 2023, 08:22:58 PM »

I’m not a Republican and I’m not happy. I do think this city is suffering under crime and heavy taxes and I have no reason to believe Johnson is going to make it better. I want to stay here, I want to be able to afford it and feel safe. I feel like I’ve been ignored once again. 
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #631 on: April 04, 2023, 08:23:30 PM »

I am sad. I love Chicago. I was there last weekend. This sort’ve seems like a now or never point to save it but I guess the people of Chicago want to be Detroit.

Uh-huh, your 'privatize services/education, beef up militaristic police responses and ignore the housing and mental health crisis' solutions are hallow and the people of Chicago will hopefully, and so far thankfully have, seen better. Republican concern for urban issues is fake and always has been.
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #632 on: April 04, 2023, 08:31:54 PM »

Dang, it's over already? I was hoping Vallas would win.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #633 on: April 04, 2023, 08:32:59 PM »

Dang, it's over already? I was hoping Vallas would win.
Nope, he lost.
Hopefully Johnson isn't awful.
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #634 on: April 04, 2023, 08:33:38 PM »

Any chance Vallas pulls through?
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #635 on: April 04, 2023, 08:34:15 PM »

If Mike Pence has the courage.
Death of a Salesman
Rookie
United States

« Reply #636 on: April 04, 2023, 08:35:17 PM »

Uh-huh, your 'privatize services/education, beef up militaristic police responses and ignore the housing and mental health crisis' solutions are hallow and the people of Chicago will hopefully, and so far thankfully have, seen better. Republican concern for urban issues is fake and always has been.

Schizo heroin addict: I'm a severely mentally ill drug addict. I think I'm going to try to stab some people today.
Incompetent teacher: Wow, Brandon Johnson just made my pension even more generous!
Schizo heroin addict: Amazing! My mental illness has been cured by this shameless looting of Chicago taxpayers.

Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #637 on: April 04, 2023, 08:36:51 PM »

DDNN PROJECTION:

Brandon Johnson
258,594   +50.7%50.7%   

Paul Vallas
251,415   +49.3%49.3   
Total reported
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #638 on: April 04, 2023, 08:37:00 PM »

I spent the past weekend in Chicago. It’s a city I truly have an emotional connection to, a city that has been the site of several important moments in my life. You might disagree with me on policy but don’t suggest my concern for Chicago is fake.
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #639 on: April 04, 2023, 08:38:45 PM »

Schizo heroin addict: I'm a severely mentally ill drug addict. I think I'm going to try to stab some people today.
Incompetent teacher: Wow, Brandon Johnson just made my pension even more generous!
Schizo heroin addict: Amazing! My mental illness has been cured by this shameless looting of Chicago taxpayers.

Short-sighted and silly; I've worked in the mental health field for years and I've seen how severely underfunded and supported it is. Clearly when there is active violent intent law enforcement may be necessary but much of the time they aren't and then escalate the situation as we've seen over and over. You don't police your way out of homelessness or mental health issues, sorry.
Death of a Salesman
Rookie
United States

« Reply #640 on: April 04, 2023, 08:39:38 PM »

There are a lot of stupid policies that Johnson has proposed, but the media has paid very little attention to the dumbest. His securities tax is effectively Warren's financial transaction tax, but even more idiotic, since it's only for one city.

Normal people won't notice the tax, but it will wipe out a giant chunk of the profit from trading securities for financial firms. These firms will just leave. Their employees, who consume minimal services and pay an enormous share of the tax burden, will move with them. There's going to be a giant hole blown in the city budget if he passes that.

Knowing the sort of behavior union hacks typically indulge it, he'll plug the hole by jacking up taxes, which will convince the remaining upper middle class taxpayers to move out. Firms will relocate to the suburbs, revenue will drop, and taxes will increase again.

Chicago has been standing on the verge of a citywide death spiral for quite a while. Johnson will probably push it over.  Celebrate now, because you've just destroyed one of the great American cities.
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #641 on: April 04, 2023, 08:39:45 PM »

I guess Chicago wants to be Portland and San Fran so bad...
Death of a Salesman
Rookie
United States

« Reply #642 on: April 04, 2023, 08:42:30 PM »

Short-sighted and silly; I've worked in the mental health field for years and I've seen how severely underfunded and supported it is. Clearly when there is active violent intent law enforcement may be necessary but much of the time they aren't and then escalate the situation as we've seen over and over. You don't police your way out of homelessness or mental health issues, sorry.
You can call it prison or a mental hospital, I don't care. The solution to insane drug addicts running around is confinement and punishing drug peddlers, not handouts to the least effective teachers in Illinois.
sting in the rafters
slimey56
Korea, Democratic People's Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.46, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #643 on: April 04, 2023, 08:43:18 PM »

Life imitates art eh? You know quasimodo predicted all this
kyc0705

« Reply #644 on: April 04, 2023, 08:44:14 PM »
« Edited: April 04, 2023, 08:47:27 PM by kyc0705 »

Fascinated by the takes that Chicago is doomed because they voted for a new mayor. Even if his policies were destined to be destructive, how often do big city mayors (or any executives, really) actually get their entire platform enacted? If I didn't know better, I'd think that people can only imagine cities in perpetual states of collapse.
Death of a Salesman
Rookie
United States

« Reply #645 on: April 04, 2023, 08:46:25 PM »

Sure, our policies are terrible, but enough of your guys got elected that we won't destroy the city. We'll keep trying, don't worry.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #646 on: April 04, 2023, 08:47:58 PM »

I'm pretty mixed on Johnson winning. On the one hand I am glad to see a progressive defeat someone with possibly no real principles who was trying to appeal to everybody and evidently nobody at once. But on the other hand, if Johnson does end up another failure like Lightfoot, especially on the issues of cost of living and crime, then progressive approach to governing in big cities takes another harsh hit in its credibility. It's a bit of a risk having Johnson in this position, but that doesn't mean Vallas' approach would be much better just because it's more mainstream. Once again, I do not envy a big city mayor. It seems like the worst job of any political office.
kyc0705

« Reply #647 on: April 04, 2023, 08:49:21 PM »

Sure, our policies are terrible, but enough of your guys got elected that we won't destroy the city. We'll keep trying, don't worry.

I quite intentionally never even implied that I supported Johnson. I'm just fascinated by the belief that one's political enemies are somehow both deeply incompetent and extremely effective.
Death of a Salesman
Rookie
United States

« Reply #648 on: April 04, 2023, 08:50:07 PM »

I quite intentionally never even implied that I supported Johnson. I'm just fascinated by the belief that one's political enemies are somehow both deeply incompetent and extremely effective.
Effectively implementing bad policies is not a good idea.
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #649 on: April 04, 2023, 08:51:50 PM »

Fascinated by the takes that Chicago is doomed because they voted for a new mayor. Even if his policies were destined to be destructive, how often do big city mayors (or any executives, really) actually get their entire platform enacted? If I didn't know better, I'd think that people can only imagine cities in perpetual states of collapse.
Crime has risen dramatically in several cities since the 2020 George Floyd protests. The logically thing would be increase police presense and crack down on crime like shop lifting and car break ins.

Johnson wants to do the opposite. In fact, he wants to push policies that made it so bad on the west coast.

Even if Johnson doesn't make it worst (which is a big IF), it will not get better. With Vallas, you had a small chance it would get better.

So guess what? People will contiune not to feel safe and move out the city.

Want to know what'll hurt inner city kids the most? When every rich, middle and working class family moves out. Watch what'll happen to inner city schools. There is already a teacher shortage. No pay increase by Johnson will make up for every decent child leaving the city, leaving behind the worst.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 ... 33  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies