Questions about Tulsa, Oklahoma?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 09:31:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Questions about Tulsa, Oklahoma?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Questions about Tulsa, Oklahoma?  (Read 673 times)
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 30, 2022, 01:06:47 AM »

I've always found the political geography of what of this fairly notable city interesting.

For reference, here is a map of Tulsa based on 2020 Pres results. A few things stand out to me:

1. How are some of the clearly developed suburban areas so red they literally blend in with the surrounding rurals? Even for a Southern City, that's quite unusual as while there are many cases of deep red exurbs, suburbs are almost at least slightly influenced by the city politically and hence pulled leftwards.

2. Why does is the city's growth so unbalanced, with there being far more development on the Southeast side whereas the Northwest side seems very unnaturally stunted. Does it have to do with Osage County specifically as it seems like that's a pretty hard line of where development stops
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2022, 12:36:04 AM »

Tulsa, or at least white Tulsa, has long been dominated by the oil and gas industries and a regional center of Evangelicalism (Oral Roberts, etc), not to mention its history of fraught racial tensions. It's pretty clear from the map that it's also fairly segregated.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2022, 12:50:17 AM »

To answer your second question, Osage County is an Indian reservation. 
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2022, 08:00:54 PM »

Huh I never knew that. I knew that Oklahoma used to be where settlers made all the Native Americans go but overtime that seems to have faded out with native americans being blended into white culture for the most part.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2022, 08:30:33 AM »

Huh I never knew that. I knew that Oklahoma used to be where settlers made all the Native Americans go but overtime that seems to have faded out with native americans being blended into white culture for the most part.

It matters whether or not you live on a reservation with a communal land system for obvious reasons.
NorCalifornio
Rookie
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2022, 12:27:18 AM »

Looking at the Terrain view on Google Maps, there's a topographic transition that lines up with the edge of development to the northwest. It's a better match than the Osage County line too.

So Tulsa grew a lot to the southeast, which is quite flat aside from a patch of hills next to Oral Roberts, but very little to the northwest, where it ran up against some larger hills just a couple miles from downtown.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies