Lincoln Confirmation Hearing: Rpryor to be Associate Justice - Withdrawn
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 03:24:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Lincoln Confirmation Hearing: Rpryor to be Associate Justice - Withdrawn
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Lincoln Confirmation Hearing: Rpryor to be Associate Justice - Withdrawn  (Read 528 times)
Attorney General, Senator-Elect, & Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 29, 2022, 09:01:58 AM »
« edited: August 31, 2022, 03:20:23 PM by Lincoln Speaker Dwarven Dragon »

I hereby nominate rpryor03 to the office of associate justice for Lincoln, pending confirmation

x tack50

The Nominee is invited to make an opening statement and then we will have time for questions.
rpryor03
Bahamas

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2022, 09:11:42 AM »

Thank you, Mr. Speaker.

It is a distinct honor to be called back to the region that formed me as a leader in Atlasia to serve again in this manner. Over the past seven years, with a break in the middle, I have served in varied capacities on the regional and federal levels, including periods as Vice President, Attorney General, Secretary of Federal Elections, Game Moderator, and Emergency Commissioner. Much of my work has been in dealing with what the Constitution doesn't say, so now I get to focus on what it actually says. I look forward to answering any questions that members of this esteemed body may have.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2022, 09:27:01 AM »

Thank you. I will get the ball rolling:

1. Do you intend to subscribe to any particular judicial philosophy? If so, which? If not, how do you plan to go about deciding cases?

2. Under what circumstances is it appropriate for the Regional or Supreme Court to overturn precedent - is it enough to simply disagree with the past ruling or is something more needed?
rpryor03
Bahamas

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2022, 11:15:40 AM »

1. I'm not sure that I have a distinct philosophy that can be easily defined. However, my decision-making process in the judicial sphere rests on my training as a historian - a focus on understanding and analyzing the texts at hand and the contexts that surround them.

2. I hold a very strong view of stare decisis, and hold that, to quote Justice O'Connor in Arizona v. Rumsey, "any departure from the doctrine of stare decisis demands special justification." I couldn't tell you exactly what I would require as "special justification," but to quote Justice Stewart, "I'll know it when I see it."
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2022, 11:38:24 AM »

Thank you. Nothing further.

Anyone else have questions for the nominee?
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2022, 04:53:57 PM »

What do you think of Roe vs Wade and what do you think of Bacon King's atlasian version?

Given he was the swing vote and that only himself joined his opinion lol, your opinion will swing one way or an another
rpryor03
Bahamas

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2022, 06:12:15 PM »

What do you think of Roe vs Wade and what do you think of Bacon King's atlasian version?

Given he was the swing vote and that only himself joined his opinion lol, your opinion will swing one way or an another

I hold BK's ruling in Politics Fan as precedental and do not wish to hypothesize about potential future cases.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2022, 04:56:27 AM »

I hold BK's ruling in Politics Fan as precedental and do not wish to hypothesize about potential future cases.

Well,
BK's ruling was the following: abortion rights are protected by the constitution but a ton of restrictions on it can be passed.

Given he was the swing vote, 2 Justices wanting to strike down almost all abortion restrictions and 2 justices believing abortion isn't part of the constitution.

What are your views on this matter?
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2022, 04:02:05 PM »

Well,
BK's ruling was the following: abortion rights are protected by the constitution but a ton of restrictions on it can be passed.

Given he was the swing vote, 2 Justices wanting to strike down almost all abortion restrictions and 2 justices believing abortion isn't part of the constitution.

What are your views on this matter?

Personally, I don't mind the nominee declining to answer directly here. While I think Lincoln Abortion restrictions are sufficient given political realities and considerations of fairness and stability, I also think that if a future Court disagrees, they would prefer a judge who is willing to listen and come to a well-informed decision then one who walks into oral argument already having decided one way or the other.

That being said, the nominee is free to make any further remarks if they so wish.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2022, 04:19:32 PM »

Well,
In my case, honestly is something I appreciate. And I don't like when people avoid questions
rpryor03
Bahamas

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2022, 07:07:04 PM »

I do not wish to prejudice myself in any way for or against a future case. I think any future decision should be based on the Politics Fan ruling.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2022, 01:11:54 AM »

I do not wish to prejudice myself in any way for or against a future case. I think any future decision should be based on the Politics Fan ruling.
Except this ruling is extremely vague on abortion regulations. How convenient!
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2022, 03:20:11 PM »

With the note that I would have been happy to confirm this nominee, the nomination is withdrawn by order of the Governor.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies