Districts with no major opposition candidate
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 10:37:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Districts with no major opposition candidate
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Districts with no major opposition candidate  (Read 178 times)
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 28, 2022, 01:38:53 PM »

I can certainly understand if this is moved to the sticky generic thread, but I wanted to highlight this for a bit first.

I believe the most candidates in a cycle is still the 429 candidates the Democrats ran in 2018.

Districts with no Republican candidate
1.California 10
2.California 15
3.California 16
4.California 29
5.California 30
6.California 34
7.California 37
8.New York 9
9.New York 13
10.Pennsylvania 3

Of course, California has the 'top 2' primary and Republicans did run in the primaries of every one of those districts except for California 10. Even in California 10, there was a Republican candidate but they were disqualified shortly before the primary.

So, the Republicans essentially ran a full slate outside of a couple districts in New York City and a district in Philadelphia. This is the first time in my memory that the Republicans have even run a full slate in Massachusetts. Candidate quality may be another matter, but it does seem as though, state by state, the Republicans are moving to a standard of full slates.

To be sure, this does include one or two general election write in candidates.

Districts with no Democratic candidate
1.Alabama 1
2.Alabama 6
3.Arizona 8
4.Florida 5
5.Florida 6
6.Florida 18
7.Louisiana 4
8.Louisiana 6
9.Pennsylvania 14
10.Pennslvania 15
11.South Carolina 3
12.South Dakota AL (At Large)
13.Texas 6
14.Texas 11
15.Texas 19
16.Texas 25
17.Texas 26
18.Texas 31
19.Wisconsin 6
20.Wisconsin 8

Again, as with the Republicans this leaves out one or two districts where Democratic write in candidates are running.

I think part of the problem for the Democrats in Texas was the redistricting combined with an early filing deadline. Although none of them are winnable, in Texas (as well as in Florida Pennsylvania and Wisconsin) some of these are districts where Democrats get around 40% of the vote. Still, 14 of these 20 districts are in Southern States.

415 candidates is obviously much lower than the high of, I believe, 429 in 2018, but it's much better than the I believe 397 that the Democrats ran in 2014, the last time that was a predicted Republican wave year.

It might be fair to say that, outside of the Democrats in the South, that both parties state by state are moving towards running full slates of candidates, as is expected, for instance, in Canada. However, on the Democratic side, a lack of a full slate is a relatively new thing for them in Wisconsin.
GM Team Member and Deputy PPT WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2022, 01:49:07 PM »

I’m running as a write in in SC’s 3rd but I don’t expect to get more than like 10 votes lol
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2022, 02:04:32 PM »

I’m running as a write in in SC’s 3rd but I don’t expect to get more than like 10 votes lol

Are you an official write in candidate? (If such a thing exists in South Carolina.) If so, you should inform the election candidate websites such as www.politics1.com and ballotpedia. I'm sure that would help you to get a little more than 10 votes.
GM Team Member and Deputy PPT WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2022, 02:12:30 PM »

Are you an official write in candidate? (If such a thing exists in South Carolina.) If so, you should inform the election candidate websites such as www.politics1.com and ballotpedia. I'm sure that would help you to get a little more than 10 votes.
I don’t think such a thing exists but I suppose I can inform them yeah

Jeff Duncan sucks and I dunked on him a lot back in 2020 before candidates entered the race there.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2022, 02:14:38 PM »

I don’t think such a thing exists but I suppose I can inform them yeah

Jeff Duncan sucks and I dunked on him a lot back in 2020 before candidates entered the race there.

From https://scvotes.gov/candidates/

There are no filing forms or fees required to run as a write-in candidate.  However, write-in candidates should notify the authority conducting the election in writing that they are conducting a write-in campaign.

Write-in votes are not allowed in political party primaries or for President and Vice-president.

It might be the case that if you notify the authority conducting the election that you are running that you'll get a local newspaper write up or two.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies