Texas school district bans the Bible after parental challenge
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 08:18:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Texas school district bans the Bible after parental challenge
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Texas school district bans the Bible after parental challenge  (Read 2060 times)
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2022, 04:10:41 PM »

I'm ok with the bible being banned. Just ban all the lefty nonsense from 2016-present

The lefty nonsense like Ann Frank.

It's amazing to see the United States of America get dumber and more ignorant in real time. When I was a kid I thought people would be smarter in the future, that things like computers and lowering the cost of sharing information and data would make people more knowledgable and enlightened. Instead it seems the ease of disseminating information has just made it easier for people to spread their hate, ignorance, superstitions, conspiracies, and intolerant religiosity.

Ignorant religion isn’t even accurate.

Catholic schools especially are known for their high levels of education. Bill Clinton went to Georgetown after all.

Most of the Ivy League schools started as Protestant seminaries.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2022, 04:44:26 PM »

Lol, I love that the fake Christians of Atlas are so scared of letting students read that they're literally in favor of banning the Bible. I hope you enjoy getting slow-roasted in hell for all eternity.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2022, 05:09:57 PM »

Lol, I love that the fake Christians of Atlas are so scared of letting students read that they're literally in favor of banning the Bible. I hope you enjoy getting slow-roasted in hell for all eternity.
I admit I chuckled as harsh (and sinful) as it is, but it just saddens me so much seeing this. I wonder how many souls will be lost if bibles get banned because of this. Parents should not be controlling what their children read that much, a child should have access to all knowledge for the most part. I think of younger Forumlurker searching for answers, curious about the world, limited to only a few inoffensive books that just leave me frustrated and lost. This is the America we are giving our children.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2022, 05:11:38 PM »

I admit I chuckled as harsh (and sinful) as it is, but it just saddens me so much seeing this. I wonder how many souls will be lost if bibles get banned because of this. Parents should not be controlling what their children read that much, a child should have access to all knowledge for the most part. I think of younger Forumlurker searching for answers, curious about the world, limited to only a few inoffensive books that just leave me frustrated and lost. This is the America we are giving our children.

What about if a 7 year old child of say Hindu parents decides to read the religious texts of other religions and then decides they no longer want to be Hindu .

I mean shouldn’t we have an age limit for this , say 13 or older
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2022, 05:15:28 PM »

Well they don't care about other people's kids. Fuzzy admitted, he'd rather all students in this Texas school district be deprived of access to the Bible purely so that he doesn't risk his own son having unsupervised access to the Bible.

They're not real Christians. They claim to be, but they're not. They hate the commandments of Jesus Christ, and they're fine with people going to hell if it aids their cause politically. I remember I confronted Fuzzy about how so-called Christians are using Donald Trump ("The Adulterer in Chief" as he should be called) for political gain rather than sharing the word of God with him. They don't want to share the word of God with Trump because they might offend him and lose access to him. They'd rather a man broil in hell for eternity if it means advancing their secular political goals than try to save him and risk their political goals. They're trying to serve two masters, though in reality they only serve one, and it's not God. The judgment is harsher on these people.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2022, 05:15:44 PM »

What about if a 7 year old child of say Hindu parents decides to read the religious texts of other religions and then decides they no longer want to be Hindu .

I was that child.
My parents were atheists who had disdain for organized religion. I was in fourth grade when my slow progression to Christianity began. No. Absolutely not. With your logic I should not have a relationship with Jesus today.
If a child wants to experience and become a part of a new religion, that is something they should be free to engage in. Obviously you can discourage it, but at the end of the day it is not something you should force. While I don’t take the Dule approach that you shouldn’t raise your kids a certain religion, I do believe that if a kid is old enough to grasp the texts that they have moral reasons for such a conversion, it should be permitted. This is America, and religious diversity and freedom is a core value imo.

Tbh I am a bit of a hypocrite since I do keep my faith low key, but they do know, and they tolerate my beliefs as I tolerate theirs. If a family can’t believe in different things and thrive together, that is no family.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2022, 05:16:02 PM »

Well that would just be too damn bad for those dictatorial parents then, wouldn't it?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2022, 05:25:46 PM »

I was that child.
My parents were atheists who had disdain for organized religion. I was in fourth grade when my slow progression to Christianity began. No. Absolutely not. With your logic I should not have a relationship with Jesus today.
If a child wants to experience and become a part of a new religion, that is something they should be free to engage in. Obviously you can discourage it, but at the end of the day it is not something you should force. While I don’t take the Dule approach that you shouldn’t raise your kids a certain religion, I do believe that if a kid is old enough to grasp the texts that they have moral reasons for such a conversion, it should be permitted. This is America, and religious diversity and freedom is a core value imo.

Tbh I am a bit of a hypocrite since I do keep my faith low key, but they do know, and they tolerate my beliefs as I tolerate theirs. If a family can’t believe in different things and thrive together, that is no family.

This is true and yes you are right that if a kid is old enough to grasp those texts it’s your job as a parent if you want them to stay in your religion to expose them to your texts as well so they don’t feel the urge to convert .

So yes you are correct here and I hope this only stays temporary in Texas
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2022, 05:54:49 PM »

I'm ok with the bible being banned. Just ban all the lefty nonsense from 2016-present

It's amazing to see the United States of America get dumber and more ignorant in real time. When I was a kid I thought people would be smarter in the future, that things like computers and lowering the cost of sharing information and data would make people more knowledgable and enlightened. Instead it seems the ease of disseminating information has just made it easier for people to spread their hate, ignorance, superstitions, conspiracies, and intolerant religiosity.

Catholic schools especially are known for their high levels of education. Bill Clinton went to Georgetown after all.

Where in my post did the phrase "ignorant religion" appear? I am speaking of intolerant religiosity as in my religion governs the way others live, which is intolerant even if you have the right to practice and worship as you please.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2022, 06:00:14 PM »

It really surprises me how all of the Republicans in this thread are OK with this.  I believe all 3 who have commented so far are Christian.  How can you be a Christian and not want kids to have the opportunity to read a Bible independently of their parents?
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2022, 06:01:23 PM »

Where in my post did the phrase "ignorant religion" appear? I am speaking of intolerant religiosity as in my religion governs the way others live, which is intolerant even if you have the right to practice and worship as you please.

That's not my point;

There used to be a time; when Christianity was a solid public force for Good. Not the evangelical nonsense we see now. A strong intellectual force.

For Protestants, they had people like Reinhold Niebuhr

For Catholics, it was people like Joseph Bernadin, John Quinn,

They didn't force their beliefs on other People, far from it, but they created a intellectual work space for Christianity to dialouge with the secular world.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2022, 06:03:08 PM »

It really surprises me how all of the Republicans in this thread are OK with this.  I believe all 3 who have commented so far are Christian.  How can you be a Christian and not want kids to have the opportunity to read a Bible independently of their parents?

Because Reading the Bible by yourself as a " Sola scriptura " protestant will lead you down rabbit holes, and the faith will get destroyed instantly.

Bibical Literalism is a self distructing machine.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2022, 06:04:46 PM »

Because Reading the Bible by yourself as a " Sola scriptura " protestant will lead you down rabbit holes, and the faith will get destroyed instantly.

Nobody said that you have to take everything literally.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2022, 06:05:48 PM »

Nobody said that you have to take everything literally.

Millions of Evangelicals in this country say that.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2022, 06:38:52 PM »

I’m not a Christian
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2022, 06:42:26 PM »

New laws results in temporary adjusting to it which can cause stuff like this to happen in the short run . What matters though is the medium to long term consequences

Which, whenever any school attempts to do this to protect children from dangerous ideas, inevitably turns out to be a complete cluster f***.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2022, 06:45:57 PM »

Just because you've relegated constructive thought and critical thinking until after you turn 30, doesn't mean other children should do so as well.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2022, 06:46:47 PM »

I’m not a Christian

Whoops
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2022, 06:47:30 PM »

The Bible is not an appropriate book for young children to read unsupervised. Good move here from this district.

Why the hell was Diary of Anne Frank banned, though? There’s no objectionable content (at least not in the censored versions) and it’s an important look into one of the darkest times of human history. That’s much harder to defend a ban on IMO.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2022, 06:48:30 PM »

Just because you've relegated constructive thought and critical thinking until after you turn 30, doesn't mean other children should do so as well.

Forumlurker convinced me I was wrong here and I acknowledge that . I’ll also admit that hypothetical Hindu parents was future me
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2022, 07:08:42 PM »

Hilarious irony!

The Bible contains way too much sex and violence anyway.
Vice President Christian Man
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2022, 07:44:47 PM »

Books of all religions should be allowed. This is a bad move on the part of the district.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2022, 07:59:09 PM »

Forumlurker convinced me I was wrong here and I acknowledge that . I’ll also admit that hypothetical Hindu parents was future me
Btw I do get your concern, you want your kids to understand their culture and religion is a key part of that, you aren’t wrong for wanting your children to do that I think any parents would. It’s more a matter of practicality, especially with kids and teens the more you try and suppress…well the more curious they get and the less inclined they are towards listening to you. Obviously if it were a three year old who wanted to convert because his best friend on preschool is XYZ, that’s different, but if they are independently reading religious texts it’s probably beyond the age of that.  
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2022, 09:40:47 PM »

The Bible shouldn’t be banned, but schools should have to put it in the fiction section.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2022, 11:33:56 PM »

No lmao, why?
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies