Florida court rules 16 y/o has not proved she is "sufficiently mature" to have an abortion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 27, 2024, 07:08:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Florida court rules 16 y/o has not proved she is "sufficiently mature" to have an abortion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Florida court rules 16 y/o has not proved she is "sufficiently mature" to have an abortion  (Read 1962 times)
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2022, 01:07:18 PM »

1. If you believe a fetus is a life then no it’s not an evil position at all

A sincere belief can still be evil, even if it's internally consistent.
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2022, 01:08:02 PM »

Old enough to carry and raise a child, old enough to vote I say. Progressives should definitely be fighting for a lower voting age in light of this authoritarian garbage.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2022, 01:08:36 PM »

It’s not an evil belief by any definition. Evil has to be malicious intentions and this is not that
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2022, 01:09:49 PM »
« Edited: August 18, 2022, 05:02:15 PM by Torie »

In my world, in contradistinction to jury nullification, which is estimable, it is "evil" for judges to willfully fail to follow the law. That appears to be what happened here. If the judges hate abortion, they can resign and run for office. If they persist, impeach, convict and remove them.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2022, 01:18:21 PM »

It’s not an evil belief by any definition. Evil has to be malicious intentions and this is not that
Sure it is. The “justification” reeks of maliciousness. This is almost certainly about conservatives wanting to punish young women for having sex as usual.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2022, 01:21:53 PM »

Very few people actually consciously believe that they are malicious.

Slave owners thought that owning another human being as their property was perfectly fine. Nazis believed that exterminating the Jews was a righteous cause, because they thought that they were subhuman. Most people are the heroes from their point of view.

Now I'm obviously not equating pro-lifers with slavers and Nazis, but I am deliberately using an extreme example to demonstrate how silly your premise is.

The logical conclusion of your argument is that someone is only evil if they're twirling their mustaches and tying women to railroad tracks.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2022, 01:24:05 PM »

If abortion is murder, why should adults be allowed to get abortions?
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2022, 01:40:58 PM »

Disgusting religious oppression.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2022, 01:46:46 PM »

If abortion is murder, why should adults be allowed to get abortions?

To save the life of a mother in a situation likely to cause imminent death.  Other than that, I keep asking that question myself.
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -7.91

« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2022, 01:49:09 PM »

I will say the right needs to step up and raise some of these damn kids tbh and make it easier to adopt. You cant condemn the left on immigration yet overlook the right's flaws with abortion
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2022, 01:52:52 PM »

I will say the right needs to step up and raise some of these damn kids tbh and make it easier to adopt. You cant condemn the left on immigration yet overlook the right's flaws with abortion

At least you're not a hypocrite.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2022, 02:07:37 PM »

I have seen several people discuss literally k**ling themselves instead of keeping the baby if they are forced to have it due to rape. While obviously this isn’t the same thing I do think all “pro lifers” need to understand just how traumatizing this is. You are ruining two lives, and some may even decide to end it because of how f**ked up you made it to be a struggling mother in our society.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2022, 02:19:03 PM »
« Edited: August 16, 2022, 02:23:54 PM by America Needs R'hllor »

so let me get this straight, she's not mature enough to consider an abortion, but she is mature enough to be forced to raise a child? WTF?

Her parents are responsible for that child as well under Florida Law, at least until she is 18.

A human life has been saved.  Glory to God!

This is just plain evil

There are multiple things :

1. If you believe a fetus is a life then no it’s not an evil position at all especially if there is no reason to think it can threaten the mother’s life

2. We have no idea how many weeks it has been as that is very important

3. The dispute was because her legal guardian said no

I don't give a f**k if some nutcase believes the fetus is a life. There is nothing that compels me to respect outlandish beliefs that cause so much pain and suffering. This is a 16 year old minor- a child. Holy sh**t, put yourself in her boots. It's completely monstrous to force her to give birth in this age,  and if she wants an abortion I hope she can find it in a state that respects her as a human and not an incubator.

And fundamentalist crusaders like Fuzzy would do well to, at the very least, stay dignified instead of cheering for this poor child's suffering.
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2022, 02:20:48 PM »

I have seen several people discuss literally k**ling themselves instead of keeping the baby if they are forced to have it due to rape. While obviously this isn’t the same thing I do think all “pro lifers” need to understand just how traumatizing this is. You are ruining two lives, and some may even decide to end it because of how f**ked up you made it to be a struggling mother in our society.

The number of lives that would be tragically lost to suicide from banning abortion is dwarfed by the number of lives that would be saved by banning abortion.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2022, 02:22:32 PM »

so let me get this straight, she's not mature enough to consider an abortion, but she is mature enough to be forced to raise a child? WTF?

Her parents are responsible for that child as well under Florida Law, at least until she is 18.

A human life has been saved.  Glory to God!

This is just plain evil

There are multiple things :

1. If you believe a fetus is a life then no it’s not an evil position at all especially if there is no reason to think it can threaten the mother’s life

2. We have no idea how many weeks it has been as that is very important

3. The dispute was because her legal guardian said no

I don't give a f**k if some nutcase believes the fetus is a life. There is nothing that compels me to respect outlandish beliefs that cause so much pain and suffering. This is a 16 year old minor- a child. Holy sh**t, put yourself in her boots. It's completely monstrous to force her to give birth in this age,  and if she wants an abortion I hope she can find it in a state that respects her as a human and not an incubator.

And fundamentalist crusaders like Fuzzy would do well to, at the very least, stay dignified instead of cheering for this poor child's suffering.

Why I also pointed out number 2 and number 3 as Florida laws on this are not really that restrictive as it has a 15 week ban which means it’s legal in the first 15 weeks  .

Also yes this is why we let the legislatures or ballot measures decide cause the constitution says nothing about the issue so it should be left up to the elected representatives
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2022, 02:23:35 PM »

The number of lives that would be tragically lost to suicide from banning abortion is dwarfed by the number of lives that would be saved by banning abortion.
And yet those are still people you are actively killing. Until you greatly reform the social systems so that being a working class single mother is not a life practically forced into poverty, then I don’t want to hear it. Talk to me when you are willing to help the family, and most importantly the child.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2022, 02:26:00 PM »

He might not think they are malicious, but they absolutely are. His intentions are to subjugate all women to his religious beliefs and deprive them of the life they want to live. Anti choice extremists see women as birthing tools who don't get a say about the clump of cells they're growing in their bodies, viable or not. This is evil.

The funny thing is that you're trying to rationalize and view them with rose tinted glasses and then they come forward and say monstrous things like that:

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2022, 02:31:53 PM »

He might not think they are malicious, but they absolutely are. His intentions are to subjugate all women to his religious beliefs and deprive them of the life they want to live. Anti choice extremists see women as birthing tools who don't get a say about the clump of cells they're growing in their bodies, viable or not. This is evil.

The funny thing is that you're trying to rationalize and view them with rose tinted glasses and then they come forward and say monstrous things like that:

I think abortion should not be legal after 12 weeks other than the basic exceptions  . Nobody has pointed out what the details of this and how many weeks passed so I’m not making a judgment here
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2022, 02:32:33 PM »

And yet those are still people you are actively killing. Until you greatly reform the social systems so that being a working class single mother is not a life practically forced into poverty, then I don’t want to hear it. Talk to me when you are willing to help the family, and most importantly the child.

Working class people get:

- Free Healthcare
- Food Stamps
- Single Mother benefits
- Section 8 Housing vouchers
- etc.

What else do you think we should give them? I’ll all for helping the poor, but we are already are helping them, and I don’t know if we could do much more that would be economically feasible.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2022, 02:47:11 PM »

I think abortion should not be legal after 12 weeks other than the basic exceptions  . Nobody has pointed out what the details of this and how many weeks passed so I’m not making a judgment here

Nobody should force a minor to carry to term. It's completely unfathomable in any healthy country.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2022, 02:51:49 PM »

Is there a law in Florida that says a minor must meet a "maturity" threshold in order to have an abortion? If not, it does not sound to me that the judge is following the law. Rather, he is a pro-life nutcase that is pushing his opinion on someone else.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2022, 02:54:43 PM »

Nobody should force a minor to carry to term. It's completely unfathomable in any healthy country.

I can agree with that but I don’t think it’s nearly as bad to disagree with this for a 16 year old like it with a 10 year old
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2022, 03:00:28 PM »

A human life has been saved.  Glory to God!

Why don't you take care of it if you love it so much

My wife and I would. 

Why don't you change to love it enough to at least let it have the chance to be born that you have had?  Or are you one of these people here where everyone else has to change to your liking?
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2022, 03:02:39 PM »

Oh no. Think of the poor baby who has to be alive now. Such cruelty.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2022, 03:04:38 PM »

Working class people get:

- Free Healthcare
- Food Stamps
- Single Mother benefits
- Section 8 Housing vouchers
- etc.

What else do you think we should give them? I’ll all for helping the poor, but we are already are helping them, and I don’t know if we could do much more that would be economically feasible.

They often don't get any of those 4 things outside of blue states
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies