Republicans only: Which is the most important Governor Race this year from a GOP Pespective?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 03:49:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Republicans only: Which is the most important Governor Race this year from a GOP Pespective?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which is the most important Governor Race during the 2022 Midterms for Republicans?
Arizona

Wisconsin

Georgia

Florida

Texas

Michigan

Other (name the State)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 36

Author Topic: Republicans only: Which is the most important Governor Race this year from a GOP Pespective?  (Read 1116 times)
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 13, 2022, 03:12:07 PM »

In your humbled Opinion: Which Governors Race is the most important for Republicans during the 2022 Midterm Elections?

Chime in!

I am hoping of a good and lively conversation Smiley
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2022, 04:07:02 PM »

I would say either Texas or Florida cause the results in those races shape policy in other states and shape a national discussion far more than any other state the republicans would be likely to win in . Out of those id go Florida given DeSantis is a tier 1 presidential candidate while Abbott would be tier 3.

Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2022, 04:14:09 PM »

I would say either Texas or Florida cause the results in those races shape policy in other states and shape a national discussion far more than any other state the republicans would be likely to win in . Out of those id go Florida given DeSantis is a tier 1 presidential candidate while Abbott would be tier 3.

I would agree with you especially about Florida. I just can't see in my mind how DeSantis could lose his own Re-Election given what Crist did yesterday by voting for this sort of New Green Deal Part 2 which on top of it hired 87,000 IRS Agents.

Florida is surrounded by water. It thrives on its Small Business & Tourism Industry in the Summer and Winter Months. Those IRS Agents would be devastating for FL Small Business Community. Crists wants to enforce a Mask Mandate and wants to shut down the State again. FL has among the lowest Inflation Rates in the Country, it's Economy is booming, etc.

Those are all things DeSantis can run on.
wesmoorenerd
westroopnerd
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -7.13

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2022, 05:17:43 PM »

I would agree with you especially about Florida. I just can't see in my mind how DeSantis could lose his own Re-Election given what Crist did yesterday by voting for this sort of New Green Deal Part 2 which on top of it hired 87,000 IRS Agents.

Florida is surrounded by water. It thrives on its Small Business & Tourism Industry in the Summer and Winter Months. Those IRS Agents would be devastating for FL Small Business Community. Crists wants to enforce a Mask Mandate and wants to shut down the State again. FL has among the lowest Inflation Rates in the Country, it's Economy is booming, etc.

pretty soon it'll be surrounded by water on four sides instead of three: south, east, west, and above
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2022, 05:38:14 PM »

I agree that TX or FL, both of which I'd rate as likely GOP are the most important as some posters above said. First off, the states are massive and have great influence nationally, and are also realtively diverse relative to most GOP states.

I think of the swing states though, prolly PA as an R trifecta in PA would be very powerful and could basically take over teh state however they like.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2022, 06:26:30 PM »

Florida uses the US Dollar. It has the same inflation rate as everyone else. Florida sinking into the ocean is probably the only good thing coming from climate change. It's not my fault that Floridians vote for a climate change denier. Actually, it represents Republicans well. They push the costs of their tax cuts onto the younger generations and support pro-life policies so they can have wage slaves to fund Boomers' retirements since the programs designed to support them are underfunded.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2022, 06:29:58 PM »
« Edited: August 13, 2022, 07:47:58 PM by Progressive Pessimist »

I didn't vote since I'm not a Republican, but the stakes for you really don't seem as high as they do for us since you're threatening the very fabric of how states vote if your side wins many of this year's elections.

So applying stakes to you, I would say Florida and Texas. I see no way that Crist or O'Rourke win this year, but if they are relatively close that's going to reflect poorly on your future in those states, and especially for DeSantis as the likeliest alternative to Trump being the flag-bearer for your party.

Florida uses the US Dollar. It has the same inflation rate as everyone else. Florida sinking into the ocean is probably the only good thing coming from climate change. It's not my fault that Floridians vote for a climate change denier. Actually, it represents Republicans well. They push the costs of their tax cuts onto the younger generations and support pro-life policies so they can have wage slaves to fund Boomers' retirements since the programs designed to support them are underfunded.

I would give this post one hundred recommends if I could. 
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2022, 06:43:31 PM »
« Edited: August 14, 2022, 01:03:03 PM by 2016 »

Phony Carbetbagger & Party Switcher Crist wants to shut down the Florida Economy again and enforce a Mask Mandate.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2022, 11:48:12 PM »

On the other hand Abbott has the edge on him in the "kill as many women and trans people" competition so it's a hard one
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2022, 11:59:14 PM »

Probably Pennsylvania, which can easily turn into Texas or Florida if Rs ever flip the governor's mansion.
Spectator
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2022, 01:01:19 AM »

For me it’s Georgia, obviously. Florida can do whatever it is that Florida people do.
David Hume
davidhume
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: 1.22

P P
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2022, 12:52:10 AM »

In your humbled Opinion: Which Governors Race is the most important for Republicans during the 2022 Midterm Elections?

Chime in!

I am hoping of a good and lively conversation Smiley
PA.

FL and TX are important as two largest R states, but the races are not so, since neither is likely to flip. GA is in some sense similar.

That leaves PA. If R flipp SC by 2025, it is possible that mid-decade redistricting may happen.
Spectator
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2022, 03:13:09 PM »

Of the actual competitive states, I’m convinced the GOP has shot ourselves in the foot intentionally. I think we’ll lose (and hope we lose) in Pennsylvania, Arizona, and Wisconsin. The psychos that are tying their careers to a single man like he’s some sort of deity is just bizarre and unhinged, and they need to be relegated to irrelevance.
sg0508
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2022, 06:57:00 AM »

If DeSantis doesn't win impressively (i.e. at least 10 points, which is hard anyhow in FL), it severely damages his image as the next face of the party. Then the GOP really has nothing.
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2022, 08:13:18 AM »

I'd say Nevada -- might be a good indication if the minority trends from 2020 will hold or if they were primarily due to Trump's influence. 
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2022, 02:22:02 PM »

TX and FL are "important" only in the sense that they're big states that solidly lean Republican, so the GOP losing there would be very detrimental to their ability to develop policy at the state level (as other posters have alluded to.)  However, there's no realistic chance Republicans lose either state this year.

What happens in the AZ/KS/NV/WI quartet seems most important in developing a narrative about who "won" the midterms, so I'd rank those four as being of equal importance to the GOP. 
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2022, 06:54:34 PM »

TX and FL are "important" only in the sense that they're big states that solidly lean Republican, so the GOP losing there would be very detrimental to their ability to develop policy at the state level (as other posters have alluded to.)  However, there's no realistic chance Republicans lose either state this year.

What happens in the AZ/KS/NV/WI quartet seems most important in developing a narrative about who "won" the midterms, so I'd rank those four as being of equal importance to the GOP.  
Lake is so insane she doesn't belong in the category. I think MI is more important. Dixon is not a good candidate but she's not bad enough to lose in a year like this.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies