FBI search warrant executed at Mar-a-Lago (Update: Trump Indicted!)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 12:45:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  FBI search warrant executed at Mar-a-Lago (Update: Trump Indicted!)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 70 71 72 [73] 74 75 76 77 78 ... 131
Author Topic: FBI search warrant executed at Mar-a-Lago (Update: Trump Indicted!)  (Read 120176 times)
emailking
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1800 on: September 01, 2022, 02:12:05 PM »

From the tea leaves it sounds like the judge may be amenable to a special master on the docs covered by attorney client privilege. Trump could claim a win and DOJ in their filing implied they could live with that scenario (as it won't slow down the investigation or the damage assessment, as the classified docs wouldn't be covered by that).
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1801 on: September 01, 2022, 03:42:17 PM »

When this is the new talking point, it's pretty obvious where they think it's going.
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #1802 on: September 01, 2022, 03:48:21 PM »

When this is the new talking point, it's pretty obvious where they think it's going.

At this point the best reason to not prosecute Trump is to avoid dirtying Eugene Debs' good name by having Trump be the second prominent candidate to run for president while imprisoned.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #1803 on: September 01, 2022, 03:49:38 PM »

At this point the best reason to not prosecute Trump is to avoid dirtying Eugene Debs' good name by having Trump be the second prominent candidate to run for president while imprisoned.

Yes we know.  Angel

https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=517947.msg8734631#msg8734631
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1804 on: September 01, 2022, 05:03:55 PM »

“The Democrats may decide they prefer a wounded Trump with an indictment hanging over his head to an indicted defendant.” More projection from the Republicans, conflating enforcing the law with their own political goals.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1805 on: September 01, 2022, 05:54:06 PM »

Seems unnecessary for a special master when DOJ already filtered through these docs. As long as it doesn't hold up the DOJ's investigation...
Yoda
United States

« Reply #1806 on: September 01, 2022, 10:12:22 PM »

Well I guess that settles the question of whether outsiders had access to these documents.

I simply cannot fathom how an attorney can be this dumb. Did she not just make herself a fact witness? trump's fondness for airhead, pretty lady lawyers is going to be his undoing.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1807 on: September 02, 2022, 07:13:01 AM »
« Edited: September 02, 2022, 08:26:47 AM by Torie »

“The Democrats may decide they prefer a wounded Trump with an indictment hanging over his head to an indicted defendant.” More projection from the Republicans, conflating enforcing the law with their own political goals.

Actually Andrew McCarthy, the lawyer columnist for the National Review, is pretty much a never Trumper, and wishes the House had taken its time impeaching Trump past the time he left office, and then with what we know now about Jan 6 and now out of the blue, the purloined documents, maximized the chances of getting a conviction from the Senate, with the punishment being not removal of office (he'd already be out of office), but being banned from running for federal office ever again. The House and Senate porked the pooch by its pointless rush to non-judgement during Trump's end days in office for that very reason. He also believes that Trump has no right to the documents, and the claim of executive privilege is bogus.

I wish Andrew were in fact the Pub leader in the House in lieu of Kevin. The country would be far the better for it.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1808 on: September 02, 2022, 07:28:32 AM »

The new completely deranged Trump line is "I think they were looking for Hillary Clinton emails". Because, you know, that's something that would be at Trump's house.

F***ing mental.

Trump took the Hillary emails that Comey reviewed, or the emails that Hillary said were erased were really given to Trump? I am unclear on that point.

For those like myself with memory issues, here is a good summary of Hillary's conduct regarding emails, and Trump's regarding documents:

https://www.politifact.com/article/2022/aug/09/comparing-hillary-clintons-emails-and-donald-trump/
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #1809 on: September 02, 2022, 08:20:23 AM »

If they were looking for Hillary's e-mails, then Republicans should be praising the search warrant.

I'm expecting Republican praise of the FBI any second now....
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1810 on: September 02, 2022, 09:13:19 AM »

The new completely deranged Trump line is "I think they were looking for Hillary Clinton emails". Because, you know, that's something that would be at Trump's house.

F***ing mental.

Trump took the Hillary emails that Comey reviewed, or the emails that Hillary said were erased were really given to Trump? I am unclear on that point.

For those like myself with memory issues, here is a good summary of Hillary's conduct regarding emails, and Trump's regarding documents:

https://www.politifact.com/article/2022/aug/09/comparing-hillary-clintons-emails-and-donald-trump/

I *think* what he is going for here - and it's hard to say because really it feels like he's just doing right-wing mad libs more than having coherent thoughts - is that the FBI thought Trump would have evidence that the FBI had deliberately botched the Clinton email investigation so that they wouldn't charge her because secretly the FBI is biased in favor of the Clintons. Because, sure, that makes any f***ing sense.

Honestly, though, it's hard to say, he may just be pulling right-wing buzz words entirely at random with no intent of making a cohesive narrative.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1811 on: September 02, 2022, 09:16:21 AM »

Is the judge who's deciding on the special master a Trump judge?
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #1812 on: September 02, 2022, 09:21:29 AM »

Is the judge who's deciding on the special master a Trump judge?
Yup.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1813 on: September 02, 2022, 09:23:25 AM »

Yes, but to be fair her resume is top flight (I just checked it already knowing she was a Trump judge and expecting the worst). Whatever she does, I doubt she will make a hash of the law, e.g. go off the deep end on executive privilege.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aileen_Cannon
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #1814 on: September 02, 2022, 09:24:34 AM »

Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1815 on: September 02, 2022, 09:30:18 AM »

Just having read the more detailed inventory, the most significant takeaway is that there 7 documents in trump's office marked "Top Secret," and several more marked "Secret."

Oh, I missed the "empty" bit. We will need to await Georgia Moderate to tell us how sensitive the "Classified" category is.
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1816 on: September 02, 2022, 09:38:39 AM »

Listen, who doesn't have nearly 50 empty folders that are supposed to contain classified documents that now no longer contain classified documents?
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1817 on: September 02, 2022, 09:41:30 AM »

Just having read the more detailed inventory, the most significant takeaway is that there 7 documents in trump's office marked "Top Secret," and several more marked "Secret."

Oh, I missed the "empty" bit. We will need to await Georgia Moderate to tell us how sensitive the "Classified" category is.

There is no classification marking that is specifically the word "Classified" that I know of.  There is Unclassified (U), but classified data is marked at the appropriate level such as Confidential (C), Secret (S), etc.  It's not clear to me whether the folders actually had the word "Classified" on them or whether the FBI is lumping together multiple empty folders with various classification markings.  If the folders were actually labeled just "Classified" then I would guess they were labeled that way by Trump or someone on his staff.  I could be wrong.

I will say that if there were empty folders discovered marked with either "Classified" or regular classification markings on any project I ever worked on, the security officer would have had about nine heart attacks.

Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #1818 on: September 02, 2022, 10:19:58 AM »

Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1819 on: September 02, 2022, 10:29:31 AM »
« Edited: September 02, 2022, 11:24:38 AM by Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin »

I understand the Classified and missing Classified documents are huge, but this also seems to be a lot of documents that Mr. Trump was not supposed to have.
WV222
masterofawesome

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.83

P
« Reply #1820 on: September 02, 2022, 11:58:47 AM »

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/02/us/politics/trump-fbi-folders-classified.html

WASHINGTON — The F.B.I.’s search of former President Donald J. Trump’s Florida club and residence last month recovered 48 empty folders marked as containing classified information, a newly disclosed court filing shows, raising the question of whether the government had fully recovered the documents or any remain missing.

The filing, a detailed list of items retrieved in the search, was unsealed on Friday as part of the court fight over whether to appoint an independent arbiter to review the materials taken by federal agents when they descended on Mr. Trump’s estate, Mar-a-Lago, on Aug. 8.

Along with the empty folders with classified markings, the F.B.I. also recovered 40 more empty folders that said they contained sensitive documents the user should “return to staff secretary/military aide,” the inventory said. It also said that agents found seven documents marked as “top secret” in Mr. Trump’s office and 11 more in a storage room.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1821 on: September 02, 2022, 12:19:55 PM »

brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix