FBI search warrant executed at Mar-a-Lago (Update: Trump Indicted!)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 09, 2024, 01:50:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  FBI search warrant executed at Mar-a-Lago (Update: Trump Indicted!)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 47 48 49 [50] 51 52 53 54 55 ... 131
Author Topic: FBI search warrant executed at Mar-a-Lago (Update: Trump Indicted!)  (Read 121913 times)
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1225 on: August 14, 2022, 01:33:24 PM »

This seems like a stretch.

They're going to put Trump in jail for ten years for possessing unclassified documents?  That doesn't pass the smell test

I'm late to the party here but let me get this straight: according to you, Trump stole a bunch of documents which legally were supposed to return to the government upon his exiting office, including numerous top secret and nuclear documents; used his psychic legal powers asserted by the Heritage Foundation to declassify these documents, without ever communicating that they were declassified; stashed them in his beach house; refused to turn them over to the government for a year and a half, breaking a law which says that keeping government documents carries a legal penalty; and finally gets them snatched back once his beach house is raided. And the part of this saga you find objectionable is that the law Trump broke did not differentiate between government documents which were and were not declassified by Trump's mind powers.

No, that's not what I'm saying.  Stop enjoying listening to yourself so much and consider this nuance:  not all documents presidents are supposed to return to NARA under the PRA would be classified.  If the Espionage Act is being used to potentially prosecute Trump for not returning these records upon "demand of an officer or employee of the United States" then that is prosecutorial overkill.

The only provision of the Espionage Act that he's actually being accused of violating merely concerns the unauthorized retention of national defense information. Just because it's called the "Espionage Act" doesn't mean that the DoJ is acting as if he transmitted state secrets to hostile nations because, flashy title aside, it's still one of its provisions that criminalizes the willful mishandling of these documents, which is still, y'know, a blatant federal crime even if/when it doesn't rise to the level of active, spy-like espionage. So if he's alleged to have not only retained & mishandled records that he was unauthorized to retain, but then willfully concealed his retention & mishandling of such documents from investigators, then where exactly is this supposed prosecutorial overkill that you speak of? What's wrong here??

Any charge under the Espionage Act is prosecutorial overkill because there is separate legislation that regulates presidential records, and Trump should be charged under that statute as he once had presidential custody over the documents in question (which is not a situation the Espionage Act was written to consider, per the legislative history of the act.) 
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1226 on: August 14, 2022, 01:47:05 PM »

Informative thread here from a former federal prosecutor.  Click to read the whole thing.

Very good thread!
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #1227 on: August 14, 2022, 01:58:09 PM »

This seems like a stretch.

They're going to put Trump in jail for ten years for possessing unclassified documents?  That doesn't pass the smell test

I'm late to the party here but let me get this straight: according to you, Trump stole a bunch of documents which legally were supposed to return to the government upon his exiting office, including numerous top secret and nuclear documents; used his psychic legal powers asserted by the Heritage Foundation to declassify these documents, without ever communicating that they were declassified; stashed them in his beach house; refused to turn them over to the government for a year and a half, breaking a law which says that keeping government documents carries a legal penalty; and finally gets them snatched back once his beach house is raided. And the part of this saga you find objectionable is that the law Trump broke did not differentiate between government documents which were and were not declassified by Trump's mind powers.

No, that's not what I'm saying.  Stop enjoying listening to yourself so much and consider this nuance:  not all documents presidents are supposed to return to NARA under the PRA would be classified.  If the Espionage Act is being used to potentially prosecute Trump for not returning these records upon "demand of an officer or employee of the United States" then that is prosecutorial overkill.

The only provision of the Espionage Act that he's actually being accused of violating merely concerns the unauthorized retention of national defense information. Just because it's called the "Espionage Act" doesn't mean that the DoJ is acting as if he transmitted state secrets to hostile nations because, flashy title aside, it's still one of its provisions that criminalizes the willful mishandling of these documents, which is still, y'know, a blatant federal crime even if/when it doesn't rise to the level of active, spy-like espionage. So if he's alleged to have not only retained & mishandled records that he was unauthorized to retain, but then willfully concealed his retention & mishandling of such documents from investigators, then where exactly is this supposed prosecutorial overkill that you speak of? What's wrong here??

Any charge under the Espionage Act is prosecutorial overkill because there is separate legislation that regulates presidential records, and Trump should be charged under that statute as he once had presidential custody over the documents in question (which is not a situation the Espionage Act was written to consider, per the legislative history of the act.)  

The search warrant literally cited that separate legislation, 18 USC 2071, the PRA. "Whoever, having the custody of any such record… willfully and unlawfully conceals [or] removes… the same, shall be fined… or imprisoned not more than three years, or both." You clearly seem to misunderstand how criminal investigations work, because when an investigation into potential instances of one crime, like violating the PRA, uncovers evidence of not only such violations but also of other crimes, like violating the Espionage Act & concealing the violations of both acts from investigators, then the accused will be liable for those actions too.

And yes, his alleged actions clearly fall under the purview of 18 USC 793, the section of the Espionage Act concerned, if, in undertaking those actions, he was retaining information related to the national defense that could be used to injure the U.S. or to the advantage of a foreign government without the necessary authorization to retain such information. That's a blatant violation of the provision at hand, not something that wasn't considered within the legislative history of the act, & we know that because it's been consistently prosecuted, except without the initial good-faith effort to treat the accused with a great amount of deference in light of their former job & figure all of this out cooperatively.
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #1228 on: August 14, 2022, 02:49:18 PM »

So what's next? What are we waiting on for now?
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1229 on: August 14, 2022, 02:54:44 PM »

Immediately?  Review of the collected evidence, but we won't know when that's completed.  I don't believe there are any pending motions in the case; Trump's team hasn't filed any to (for example) challenge whether the search was lawfully conducted.  So I don't think there's anything specific in terms of events or deadlines.  We'll just have to wait and see if there are further subpoenas or search warrants in the case, and eventually for indictments.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1230 on: August 14, 2022, 03:06:25 PM »
« Edited: August 14, 2022, 03:09:46 PM by brucejoel99 »

Immediately?  Review of the collected evidence, but we won't know when that's completed.  I don't believe there are any pending motions in the case; Trump's team hasn't filed any to (for example) challenge whether the search was lawfully conducted.  So I don't think there's anything specific in terms of events or deadlines.  We'll just have to wait and see if there are further subpoenas or search warrants in the case, and eventually for indictments.

After DoJ reviews the evidence & makes a charging decision but before any actual indictments come down in the event that they do decide to charge, they'd first have to present their findings to a grand jury, who'll make the final indictment determination, but otherwise, yeah, that's mostly it for now.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #1231 on: August 14, 2022, 03:26:32 PM »

Immediately?  Review of the collected evidence, but we won't know when that's completed.  I don't believe there are any pending motions in the case; Trump's team hasn't filed any to (for example) challenge whether the search was lawfully conducted.  So I don't think there's anything specific in terms of events or deadlines.  We'll just have to wait and see if there are further subpoenas or search warrants in the case, and eventually for indictments.

My understanding is that if and only if there is an indictment, then Trump gets the affidavit, and can then more to quash the warrant as not having been properly issued, in which event documents obtained pursuant to it, cannot be used as evidence against him in a trial as the fruit of a poisonous tree.

The next chapter of this will be feigned Pub rage that the affidavit is being withheld (it almost always is). The affidavit would disclose what the DOJ has, and might interfere with its investigation, and even if disclosed pursuant to an indictment, may well have to be redacted, given the sensitivity of what it may describe. So it may be that the Pubs will get a free pass to rage on that matter right through the midterm election.

So the next bit of drama will be whether or not Trump in concert with the feigned Pub rage demands that the affidavit be released. If he does not, that would be revealing in and of itself.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1232 on: August 14, 2022, 04:05:57 PM »

I don't really get the point of baiting Fuzzy and his ilk here. Sure, it's funny to watch people make complete fools of themselves defending Trump as the evidence in this case is frankly painfully unambiguous, but come on, it's Fuzzy. It's not like he wasn't doing that before. In my opinion it's mostly sad to see that grown adults have had their brains rotted to such an insane degree, and yet more evidence of why I hope they lock Trump up for the rest of his natural life, so that our nation and our fellow Americans can begin to heal in his absence.

Trump only further opened up a Pandora's Box, there isn't a "healing".

Likewise the nation didn't really heal from Watergate at all, it just deflected to "gubmint bad".

Yes, exactly this. The failure to hold Nixon accountable for his crimes was a grave mistake and greatly damaged the entire idea of the rule of law.

One can argue this, yes.  One can also argue that Nixon should have made the kind of stink about stolen elections in 1960.  The irregularities in both the city of Chicago and specified counties in Texas (one would have to get a copy of Six Crises to find the specific counties were gross irregularities had occurred.  (I remember one of them as being Fannin County, TX, but there were some others.)   

The investigations into Nixon were not about finding a crime to charge him with; they were about specified abuses of power, one of them being obstruction of Justice, in which his own Counsel to the President, John Dean, testified under oath that he committed.  This was bolstered by the disclosure by Alexander Butterfield that Nixon had a taping system.

The double standards are obvious.  Hillary Clinton had classified material that she did not have the power to declassify that got onto Anthony Weiner's phone.  She got away with less than a "My Bad!".  Those irregularities involved specific material, but it was no big deal to anyone here that she was never prosecuted.  Indeed, BILL Clinton (arguably) obstructed justice in his time on the tarmac in a plane with Loretta Lynch.  This was overt obstruction of a criminal investigation, yet no one has called for BILL Clinton to be investigated (or Loretta Lynch, for that matter).  The selective outrage is telling, and many of you have, for literally YEARS on this Forum, called for Trump to be arrested, charged, tried, convicted, and jailed, without specifying charges (or specifying matters that have been proven false over time, such as most of the Muller Report nonsense).  That's not how it works.  But a governent that can actually do what they've done to Donald Trump can do so with YOUR favorite elected official, should the political tides change. 

And that's where I'm at with this.  In many matters, Trump has been less than his Own Best Friend.  But the conduct of those "prosecuting" (actually persecuting) him shows a minimal regard for the Rule of Law, for the standards of honesty in obtaining FISA Warrants, for the idea that a Congressional "investigation" such as the January 6th Committee is supposed to have a definitive LEGISLATIVE purpose behind it, that the CONGRESS does not have the power to simply investigate alleged crimes with no legislative purpose, and that Warrants for Searches and Arrests are limited in scope and present probable cause that a crime of a specified nature has already been committed.  That's not what has happened here, but people will keep telling themselves otherwise.

If they can do it to Trump, they can do it to you.  If they can do it to you, they can do it to me.  Am I afraid of a government, regardless of party, that can throw the 4th, 5th, and 14th Amendments out the window because someone has to be "gotten"?  That WOULD be a different country than the one I grew up in, and it is the type of country that people come from other parts of the World (legally and Illegally, I might add) to get away from.

I'll say no more.  I'll let the facts come out.  Nothing will surprise me.  And Donald Trump should not get away with criminal activity just because some of his adversaries did.  But if Donald Trump IS actually convicted of a crime (and I'll believe it only after the entire process is played out), then a two-tiered system of Justice, politicized to the max, will have been formally implemented.  That will not be cause to celebrate.  It will deter good men from seeking the Presidency, but it will not deter scoundrels, and particularly those scoundrels whose adult lives have been about nothing but politics.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #1233 on: August 14, 2022, 04:27:06 PM »

One can argue this, yes.  One can also argue that Nixon should have made the kind of stink about stolen elections in 1960.  The irregularities in both the city of Chicago and specified counties in Texas (one would have to get a copy of Six Crises to find the specific counties were gross irregularities had occurred.  (I remember one of them as being Fannin County, TX, but there were some others.)   

The investigations into Nixon were not about finding a crime to charge him with; they were about specified abuses of power, one of them being obstruction of Justice, in which his own Counsel to the President, John Dean, testified under oath that he committed.  This was bolstered by the disclosure by Alexander Butterfield that Nixon had a taping system.

The double standards are obvious.  Hillary Clinton had classified material that she did not have the power to declassify that got onto Anthony Weiner's phone.  She got away with less than a "My Bad!".  Those irregularities involved specific material, but it was no big deal to anyone here that she was never prosecuted.  Indeed, BILL Clinton (arguably) obstructed justice in his time on the tarmac in a plane with Loretta Lynch.  This was overt obstruction of a criminal investigation, yet no one has called for BILL Clinton to be investigated (or Loretta Lynch, for that matter).  The selective outrage is telling, and many of you have, for literally YEARS on this Forum, called for Trump to be arrested, charged, tried, convicted, and jailed, without specifying charges (or specifying matters that have been proven false over time, such as most of the Muller Report nonsense).  That's not how it works.  But a governent that can actually do what they've done to Donald Trump can do so with YOUR favorite elected official, should the political tides change. 

And that's where I'm at with this.  In many matters, Trump has been less than his Own Best Friend.  But the conduct of those "prosecuting" (actually persecuting) him shows a minimal regard for the Rule of Law, for the standards of honesty in obtaining FISA Warrants, for the idea that a Congressional "investigation" such as the January 6th Committee is supposed to have a definitive LEGISLATIVE purpose behind it, that the CONGRESS does not have the power to simply investigate alleged crimes with no legislative purpose, and that Warrants for Searches and Arrests are limited in scope and present probable cause that a crime of a specified nature has already been committed.  That's not what has happened here, but people will keep telling themselves otherwise.

If they can do it to Trump, they can do it to you.  If they can do it to you, they can do it to me.  Am I afraid of a government, regardless of party, that can throw the 4th, 5th, and 14th Amendments out the window because someone has to be "gotten"?  That WOULD be a different country than the one I grew up in, and it is the type of country that people come from other parts of the World (legally and Illegally, I might add) to get away from.

I'll say no more.  I'll let the facts come out.  Nothing will surprise me.  And Donald Trump should not get away with criminal activity just because some of his adversaries did.  But if Donald Trump IS actually convicted of a crime (and I'll believe it only after the entire process is played out), then a two-tiered system of Justice, politicized to the max, will have been formally implemented.  That will not be cause to celebrate.  It will deter good men from seeking the Presidency, but it will not deter scoundrels, and particularly those scoundrels whose adult lives have been about nothing but politics.

Joe Biden 2024
Gorguf

« Reply #1234 on: August 14, 2022, 04:29:05 PM »

I don't really get the point of baiting Fuzzy and his ilk here. Sure, it's funny to watch people make complete fools of themselves defending Trump as the evidence in this case is frankly painfully unambiguous, but come on, it's Fuzzy. It's not like he wasn't doing that before. In my opinion it's mostly sad to see that grown adults have had their brains rotted to such an insane degree, and yet more evidence of why I hope they lock Trump up for the rest of his natural life, so that our nation and our fellow Americans can begin to heal in his absence.

Trump only further opened up a Pandora's Box, there isn't a "healing".

Likewise the nation didn't really heal from Watergate at all, it just deflected to "gubmint bad".

Yes, exactly this. The failure to hold Nixon accountable for his crimes was a grave mistake and greatly damaged the entire idea of the rule of law.

You cry about double standards yet you have no problem holding double standards of your own. You argue that that those investigating Trump are persecuting him yet you argue for persecution of others. You talk about how afraid you are of amendments being thrown out yet you want to throw out those same amendments. You say you'll let the facts come out yet you disregard those facts the instant it doesn't suit your narrative. You say a two-tiered system of justice will be created yet that is the very thing you are arguing for.

The only thing you're actually doing is projecting what you want onto others.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #1235 on: August 14, 2022, 04:29:11 PM »

If they can do it to Trump, they can do it to you.  If they can do it to you, they can do it to me. 

Do you plan on stealing classified nuclear documents anytime soon, Fuzzy?
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1236 on: August 14, 2022, 04:30:00 PM »
« Edited: August 14, 2022, 04:34:43 PM by H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY »

The investigations into Nixon were not about finding a crime to charge him with; they were about specified abuses of power, one of them being obstruction of Justice, in which his own Counsel to the President, John Dean, testified under oath that he committed.  This was bolstered by the disclosure by Alexander Butterfield that Nixon had a taping system.

The investigation discussed here is about specific crimes as indicated in the warrant. 18 U.S.C. §§ 793, 1519, 2071. You can look them up if you want, or I can provide links.

Warrants for Searches and Arrests are limited in scope and present probable cause that a crime of a specified nature has already been committed.  That's not what has happened here, but people will keep telling themselves otherwise.

How is it not what’s happened here? Have you read the warrant? Are you ever going to engage with what it actually says (this question is rhetorical)?

If they can do it to Trump, they can do it to you.

I am already fully aware that I am subject to the laws of the United States.

I'll say no more.  I'll let the facts come out.  Nothing will surprise me.  And Donald Trump should not get away with criminal activity just because some of his adversaries did.  But if Donald Trump IS actually convicted of a crime (and I'll believe it only after the entire process is played out), then a two-tiered system of Justice, politicized to the max, will have been formally implemented.  That will not be cause to celebrate.  It will deter good men from seeking the Presidency, but it will not deter scoundrels, and particularly those scoundrels whose adult lives have been about nothing but politics.

What would it take to convince you that Trump had broken the law? I would honestly love to know. Would you believe the affidavit used to produce this search warrant (why, when you don’t seem to understand that it exists)? Would you believe the outcome of a trial (clearly not)? Would you believe a confession from Trump himself?

I really want you to answer these questions. I think they’d provide valuable insight for me and others on the forum into how 35-40% of the country thinks.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1237 on: August 14, 2022, 04:31:01 PM »

If they can do it to Trump, they can do it to you.  If they can do it to you, they can do it to me. 

Do you plan on stealing classified nuclear documents anytime soon, Fuzzy?

Doubtful, but he did work to try and overturn a free and fair election.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1238 on: August 14, 2022, 04:34:19 PM »

It's a bunch of pathetic nonsense that our courts are supposedly throwing the 4th, 5th, and/or 14th amendments "out the window" for US citizens.
It's nothing but garbage from trump cultists trying to protect those idiots that stormed The Capitol, and shield them from proper prosecution (and jailing) for the crimes they committed on that day.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1239 on: August 14, 2022, 04:38:36 PM »

I feel like it’s been a while since we had some good meme comics about Atlas dynamics, not just wojak stuff. Takes me back to The Professor and JJ.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1240 on: August 14, 2022, 04:51:10 PM »

If they can do it to Trump, they can do it to you.  If they can do it to you, they can do it to me.  

To think that cops & prosecutors can come after any one of us simply for having willfully broken the law a bunch of times.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1241 on: August 14, 2022, 04:51:19 PM »

What happened to Scott Perry should scare everyone IMO!

Imagine you are travelling with your family and a bunch of FBI Agents show up and take your personal cell phone just because you are opposing the current Political Party in Power?

That's not the reason is was confiscated.
But nice fairy tale. What child's story book did you find that one in?
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1242 on: August 14, 2022, 04:59:37 PM »

Imagine you are travelling with your family and a bunch of FBI Agents show up and take your personal cell phone just because you are opposing the current Political Party in Power?

That is exactly why it was confiscated! He opposes the current Political Party and is a Trump Supporter.

Why wasn't Elise Stefaniks Cell Phone confiscated for example? Tell us.

To think that Perry would have something to do with a National Archives Investigation is totally obscure.
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #1243 on: August 14, 2022, 05:01:03 PM »

BREAKING: Florida Man wastes precious time writing unhinged rant no one will read.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1244 on: August 14, 2022, 05:01:45 PM »

That is exactly why it was confiscated! He opposes the current Political Party and is a Trump Supporter.

To think that Perry would have something to do with a National Archives Investigation is totally obscure.

Scott Perry, according to reports, is a material witness (at least) in the DOJ's investigation of the false elector plot.  Stefanik has not been connected with it at all.

However, discussion of Perry's phone confiscation is off-topic for this thread.  Take it to the Jan. 6 thread or start a separate one.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1245 on: August 14, 2022, 05:02:18 PM »

I do love when Fuzzy says “I'll let the facts come out” because he never does. Once he has his talking points in he sticks to it regardless of the facts lol. Case in point “I'll let the facts come out” was a phrase he used to love when he and others started the “2020 was rigged” rhetoric and despite the fact the facts overwhelmingly disproved that he just ignored it and kept saying it was rigged lol
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1246 on: August 14, 2022, 05:09:26 PM »

Scott Perry, according to reports, is a material witness (at least) in the DOJ's investigation of the false elector plot.  Stefanik has not been connected with it at all.

However, discussion of Perry's phone confiscation is off-topic for this thread.  Take it to the Jan. 6 thread or start a separate one.
Wrong!
Perrys Phone confiscation has everything to do with Govtm Overreach and FBI Banana Scare Tactics and that's also being discussed in this Thread!
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1247 on: August 14, 2022, 05:13:48 PM »

Wrong!
Perrys Phone confiscation has everything to do with Govtm Overreach and FBI Banana Scare Tactics and that's also being discussed in this Thread!

Watch out.... FBI BANANA SCARE TACTICS!!!!!

Junior Chimp

« Reply #1248 on: August 14, 2022, 05:24:20 PM »

One thing is for sure: We are going to reign in Merrick "Craptastic" Garland if Republicans take over the House.

Merrick Snarkland, you are fired.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1249 on: August 14, 2022, 05:28:35 PM »

One thing is for sure: We are going to reign in Merrick "Craptastic" Garland if Republicans take over the House.

Merrick Snarkland, you are fired.

The House of Representatives does not have the power to fire the Attorney General, cry harder.
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 47 48 49 [50] 51 52 53 54 55 ... 131  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies