FBI search warrant executed at Mar-a-Lago (Update: Trump Indicted!)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:25:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  FBI search warrant executed at Mar-a-Lago (Update: Trump Indicted!)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 130
Author Topic: FBI search warrant executed at Mar-a-Lago (Update: Trump Indicted!)  (Read 113884 times)
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #450 on: August 10, 2022, 08:37:29 AM »

emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #451 on: August 10, 2022, 08:38:30 AM »

The warrant isn't going to tell us anything we don't already know from reporting.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #452 on: August 10, 2022, 08:40:41 AM »

The warrant isn't going to tell us anything we don't already know from reporting.

There's nothing that would convince his supporters anyway. There is just no scenario possible for them that makes the cult leader look bad. He's always right.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #453 on: August 10, 2022, 08:42:48 AM »

Not true.  It would list the statutes under which the FBI demonstrated probable cause to the judge, i.e. it would tell us what crimes were being investigated.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #454 on: August 10, 2022, 08:45:28 AM »
« Edited: August 10, 2022, 08:55:21 AM by Torie »

There's nothing that would convince his supporters anyway. There is just no scenario possible for them that makes the cult leader look bad. He's always right.

The warrant may have an attachment that lists the Trump crimes for which the DOJ asserts that it has probable cause supporting the search warrant. What I read is that such an attachment is common, but not a prerequisite to a search warrant. If there is such at attachment, I doubt that Trump will be releasing the warrant. Without that attachment, the warrant will just have a general statement of the type of documents covered, and would not be very revealing. The affidavit in support of the warrant application prepared by the DOJ stating the evidence constituting probable cause that the judge reviewed would not be given to Trump unless indicted, and absent an indictment would not become a public document ever.

So Trump may be unleashed and free to feed the beast for a considerable period, on past the election, without abatement. There must be something that the DOJ was concerned that Trump would destroy or secret, and/or it is quite confident that there will be an indictment for something. Otherwise, this will not go well for the DOJ, while Trump gets a much needed blood transfusion to fuel his predations.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #455 on: August 10, 2022, 08:49:08 AM »

Where was all this outrage from the right when Hillary was being investigated by the REPUBLICAN led FBI in 2016??

The Public knew what she was being investigated for. If this turns out to be espionage I will take back what I said in this thread btw but we need to know the info
No response to Trump could release the warrant?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #456 on: August 10, 2022, 08:55:58 AM »

Not true.  It would list the statutes under which the FBI demonstrated probable cause to the judge, i.e. it would tell us what crimes were being investigated.

Maybe, maybe not.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #457 on: August 10, 2022, 09:07:09 AM »

We know whatever that is it would relate to mishandling of classified information or not preserving government records, something like that. Like we know what the search was about, they needed to reacquire these sensitive documents. Open questions are whether that's all it is or whether they want to charge Trump for something or whether it's a pretext for collection of Jan 6 evidence but the warrant won't tell us that.
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.48, S: 1.30

« Reply #458 on: August 10, 2022, 09:14:28 AM »

Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #459 on: August 10, 2022, 09:16:34 AM »

If Trump was mishandling classified information, then yes, the FBI should go retrieve that information.

I find it so hilarious that we've come full circle with the Republicans now saying they want to defund the police.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #460 on: August 10, 2022, 09:27:38 AM »

Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #461 on: August 10, 2022, 09:37:05 AM »

Trump will never release the warrant. He's going to play this up as a witchhunt of epic proportions and claim that the Republican appointed FBI direction is somehow in cohorts with the Biden Administration to take him down before the election.

Releasing the warrant that likely contains information about the potential crimes he is being investigated for would squash that narrative.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #462 on: August 10, 2022, 09:40:49 AM »

Trump will never release the warrant. He's going to play this up as a witchhunt of epic proportions and claim that the Republican appointed FBI direction is somehow in cohorts with the Biden Administration to take him down before the election.

Releasing the warrant that likely contains information about the potential crimes he is being investigated for would squash that narrative.

If/when the warrant is released, Trump will claim it's fake and it's not what he was served, which he'll never release and people will believe him.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #463 on: August 10, 2022, 09:53:56 AM »

If/when the warrant is released, Trump will claim it's fake and it's not what he was served, which he'll never release and people will believe him.

Will it ever been made public if Trump doesn’t release it himself?
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #464 on: August 10, 2022, 10:00:02 AM »

If there is an indictment based on evidence discovered in the search, I believe the warrant and supporting docs would be filed with the indictment (but IANAL).
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #465 on: August 10, 2022, 10:06:23 AM »

Below is the link to the video I watched which explains the different pieces of paper involved with a search warrant, from the affidavit in support of the warrant that is under seal unless there is an indictment that tells the whole story that Trump does not have, the warrant itself that Trump does have that is quite bare bones, often no more than a page, which sometimes has, and sometimes does not not have,  an attachment listing the potential crimes involved, and the return, which lists what is taken, i.e. 12 boxes of documents, which is also bare bones.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2022/08/10/mar-a-lago-trump-fbi-search-unknowns-honig-newday-vpx.cnn

In short, the concept that the contents of the warrant itself if revealed would burn the barn down, is not well taken. I tend to doubt however that the MSM will stop feeding the beast.

One can speculate as to whether there is a list of crimes in play attachment, and why, or why not, the DOJ would want to attach it, and that might be fun, but I doubt the MSM is up to doing that task very well either.

That said, team Trump should be asked and asked again, if the warrant has an attachment listing a set of crimes. The rest is a dry hole.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #466 on: August 10, 2022, 10:11:32 AM »

If there is an indictment based on evidence discovered in the search, I believe the warrant and supporting docs would be filed with the indictment (but IANAL).

Yes, I think so, and in particular the affidavit in support of the warrant that is otherwise under seal, because at that point the defense might want to move to quash the warrant as not having met the legal requirements to have been issued in the first instance,, in which event all the evidence obtained via  the warrant is tossed.

I suppose that it might be possible to move to unseal the affidavit without an indictment, but that is beyond my pay grade.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #467 on: August 10, 2022, 10:28:30 AM »

Totally innocent!

Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #468 on: August 10, 2022, 10:34:48 AM »

Totally innocent!

This is how f***ing mobsters talk 🙄
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #469 on: August 10, 2022, 10:38:17 AM »

If the FBI made mistakes in past, any decision undertaken by the FBI could be a mistake?

I'm pretty sure that's a fallacy although off the top of head I'm not entirely sure what kind of fallacy.

Can somebody help out here please?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #470 on: August 10, 2022, 10:38:38 AM »

The schadenfreude just oozes out of this video ad consuming all before it.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1557172686358335489
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #471 on: August 10, 2022, 10:43:23 AM »

Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #472 on: August 10, 2022, 10:48:06 AM »

Rand there is a concept out there called "chain of custody."  You might look it up.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #473 on: August 10, 2022, 10:48:57 AM »

If Trump was mishandling classified information, then yes, the FBI should go retrieve that information.

If Trump was in possession of classified information, there's no reason that couldn't have been resolved cooperatively (or at most with a subpoena.)  Trump voluntarily surrended 15 boxes of documents to the National Archives back in January. 
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #474 on: August 10, 2022, 10:49:25 AM »

This talking point is all over RW media today.  From it I infer that whatever's in the boxes includes something bad for Trump, since there would be little point in planting anything that was not.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 130  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies