CNN: Biden is racking up wins but getting no love for it
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 17, 2024, 09:57:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  CNN: Biden is racking up wins but getting no love for it
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: CNN: Biden is racking up wins but getting no love for it  (Read 1925 times)
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 07, 2022, 05:51:44 PM »

For a president who so many people believe is failing, Joe Biden sure is suddenly notching up an impressive string of victories. And they're not minor. In fact, Biden is on a roll when it comes to both domestic and foreign policy.
And yet, there's little sign that the President's standing has enjoyed a meaningful lift. Biden is winning battles, but he's not getting a lot of love. Is it only a matter of time before Biden's polls catch up with the new wave of accomplishments?

https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/05/opinions/biden-wins-approval-rating-ghitis/index.html
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2022, 06:03:27 PM »

Depends on how good the White House's Communications office is. They've certainly given some material to work with, now they just have to get their points across.
MR DARK BRANDON
Liam
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -0.65, S: -1.57

P P P

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2022, 06:04:31 PM »

https://www.economist.com/united-states/2022/08/04/joe-biden-has-disappointed-everyone

Gee I wonder why?
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2022, 06:05:33 PM »

The public still thinks Biden is a failure. Let’s talk about this, with this framing, at 12, 6, and 10. It’s a real mystery.
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2022, 06:09:47 PM »

I consider today's passage of the climate and health care bill a pretty damn big win, and that's despite my fairly well documented frustrated with Dem leadership for much of the summer. It's relieving to see actual results - especially on climate issues, which had been stagnated for years - and I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels that way.

I still think there are a lot of structural problems that need addressing in how US government works, but this is a meaningful accomplishment given the arcane and byzantine structure that is the federal government.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2022, 06:10:51 PM »

The public still thinks Biden is a failure. Let’s talk about this, with this framing, at 12, 6, and 10. It’s a real mystery.

Yes, it’s absolutely wild that they continue to write stories like with zero self-awareness!
SnowLabrador
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2022, 06:12:03 PM »

The entire mainstream media is biased towards Republicans, not just Fox, Newsmax, and OAN.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2022, 06:13:24 PM »

The American public is just misinformed/manipulated/ungrateful.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2022, 06:14:39 PM »

As a frail looking 79-year-old white man who had served in the Senate since the early 1970s and who was a three-time candidate for president Joe Biden doesn't exactly appear to represent change, renewal, or  a fresh start. His presidential record  may say otherwise, but his image is still a bit of a toughie. Appearances are everything.
LostInOhio
United States
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2022, 06:39:43 PM »

If it was Cory Booker, Gavin Newsom, Jon Ossoff or even an Amy Klobuchar in office right now they’d probably have approval ratings in the upper 40s, and experience a strong rebound into the mid-50s when inflation finally receded. Biden is simply too old. He doesn’t inspire any enthusiasm except maybe among online Democratic mainstays (liberals & moderates) who closely follow what he’s doing.

He has been very accomplished as of late but it simply seems like nobody knows what he’s done. It’d be interesting to poll registered voters, especially independents, and ask if they could list several of his biggest accomplishments. I genuinely think virtually nobody would know.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2022, 06:46:24 PM »

I never thought all of the damage that's been done to his approval ratings would recover so quickly, but I think now with the passage of the IRA, Biden could at least see an increase among those Democrats who have been saying they disapprove of him. That'll count for at least some movement in his favor, I'm sure.

If that doesn't work then Americans' starf***ery problem remains where politicians have to be celebrities and personalities in order to be liked. And that mentality is not healthy. It's partially what led to Trump. We're never going to get another Kennedy or Obama and Americans need to accept that. Politicians should be judged on their accomplishments, and Biden's are finally starting to add up more. It's been frustrating but people should only be able to expect so much from the bare majorities in Congress that they gave him.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2022, 06:52:35 PM »

Biden gets no love because ordinary Americans are suffering the pain of inflation that has come on solely as a result of his party's policies (with a bit of help from the foolish overspending on "COVID-19 Stimulus" in 2020).  He is certainly not responsible for all of it, but inflation was practically nonexistent when he assumed office.  The most obvious source of inflation is fossil fuel prices, and Biden's flunkies have, on occasion, said the quiet part out loud; the increase of gas prices is deliberate and something to motivate people to buy an Electric Car, use mass transit, etc.  The "Putin Price Hike" is nonsense, and people have been smart enough to recognize it.  And that's not even touching the issue of rental housing costs.

Biden gets no love because he's not concerned about what ordinary people are concerned about.  Worse, they believe his solutions will make things worse because his goal is to phase out fossil fuels.  The average person doesn't want that, and they don't believe this "transition" to "renewables" is necessary or desirable.  They believe that, in the end, their standard of living will be permanently lowered, by design and on purpose.

What's worse is that Biden is a stammering, babbling old geezer that people think is in some stage of dementia.  Thay don't need Tucker Carlson or Sean Hannity to tell them that; they can refer to their own experience with elderly loved ones and come to their own conclusion.  We now have a President who is unable (and unwilling, given how few press conferences he holds) to communicate directly to the American people.  It's not his "Communications Office" (although his new Press Secretary is a complete incompetent); it's that he, Joe Biden, is the worst communicator as President in my lifetime.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2022, 06:56:18 PM »

As a frail looking 79-year-old white man who had served in the Senate since the early 1970s and who was a three-time candidate for president Joe Biden doesn't exactly appear to represent change, renewal, or  a fresh start. His presidential record  may say otherwise, but his image is still a bit of a toughie. Appearances are everything.

Some truth to this but it’s not like any of this was a secret in 2020 or the first half of 2021, when he was broadly popular. Everyone knew he was a frail old man who had spent his entire adult life in DC and he still had a high approval rating/favorability.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2022, 06:57:49 PM »
« Edited: August 07, 2022, 07:00:55 PM by Frodo »

I never thought all of the damage that's been done to his approval ratings would recover so quickly, but I think now with the passage of the IRA, Biden could at least see an increase among those Democrats who have been saying they disapprove of him. That'll count for at least some movement in his favor, I'm sure.

If that doesn't work then Americans' starf***ery problem remains where politicians have to be celebrities and personalities in order to be liked. And that mentality is not healthy. It's partially what led to Trump. We're never going to get another Kennedy or Obama and Americans need to accept that. Politicians should be judged on their accomplishments, and Biden's are finally starting to add up more. It's been frustrating but people should only be able to expect so much from the bare majorities in Congress that they gave him.

It goes both ways -stop promising the Moon, the Galaxy, and the Universe in every election, and people will start being grateful for what you actually accomplished.  

It is all about setting expectations -and your ability to actually meet them.  
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2022, 07:00:59 PM »

This is going to be the Beltway Press's alternative to all of those "Trump voters still like Trump" articles conducted in falling-apart diners, isn't it?
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2022, 07:01:17 PM »

It goes both ways -stop promising the Moon, the Galaxy, and the Universe in every election, and people will start being grateful for what you actually accomplished.  

Biden has never really over-promised on much though. he has always been pretty grounded with his promises and what he anticipated getting accomplished.

Interestingly, I doubt that would apply to a President Sanders. He would not get anywhere near as much done, and possibly wouldn't even have a trifecta yet I expect he would have higher approvals due to his personal brand. That's what kept Trump afloat too. Biden doesn't have that, obviously, but in an ideal world that shouldn't matter.
Utah Neolib
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2022, 07:03:28 PM »

As a frail looking 79-year-old white man who had served in the Senate since the early 1970s and who was a three-time candidate for president Joe Biden doesn't exactly appear to represent change, renewal, or  a fresh start. His presidential record  may say otherwise, but his image is still a bit of a toughie. Appearances are everything.

Some truth to this but it’s not like any of this was a secret in 2020 or the first half of 2021, when he was broadly popular. Everyone knew he was a frail old man who had spent his entire adult life in DC and he still had a high approval rating/favorability.
Biden’s original high approval was attributed to;

a: Trump being out of office
b: COVID seemed down and new variants hadn’t yet arrived

Once those wore off or didn’t occur, his approval stabilized until the Afghanistan debacle. Afghanistan brought his approval down to 42% or below and hasn’t been there since. It’s actually astounding how Afghanistan completely destroyed his approval rating for the foreseeable future.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2022, 07:04:20 PM »

The first test of this will be the Minnesota 1st Congressional special election on Tuesday.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2022, 07:13:48 PM »

A lot of the legislative victories talked about in this article amount to very little, and are only victories in light of even lower expectations from a few months ago. But they aren't enough to really be felt among the general population. Stuff like a bill to make sure gay marriage is legal isn't going to rack him a lot of points given that gay marriage is already legal. A lot of the other stuff (Finland joining NATO?) matters more to Beltway insiders than the average person. The average American couldn't locate Finland on a map. Biden's not going to really improve in polls unless real wages (adjusted for inflation) start going back up again. Say what you will of Trump, real wages surged in 2020 and played a big role in his nearly getting re-elected.

Biden is showing signs of life in one important demographic though: the Beltway MSM.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2022, 07:18:28 PM »

I love Biden. I'm glad he's in office right now. After Trump, we needed the calmness of Biden to get us through the tough times we've been through with Covid and its aftermath. People need to stop wanting to be entertained by our President. Biden isn't in it for that. People need to grow up and start appreciating what we have. There could be a GOP President next time and I shudder to think what will happen then, the usual stuff but with a more strong-arm rule. And the abortion thing wreaking such havoc in our country. And the conspiracy theories, and more election fraud talk. The GOP is full of crazies.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2022, 07:24:19 PM »

If it was Cory Booker, Gavin Newsom, Jon Ossoff or even an Amy Klobuchar in office right now they’d probably have approval ratings in the upper 40s, and experience a strong rebound into the mid-50s when inflation finally receded. Biden is simply too old. He doesn’t inspire any enthusiasm except maybe among online Democratic mainstays (liberals & moderates) who closely follow what he’s doing.

He has been very accomplished as of late but it simply seems like nobody knows what he’s done. It’d be interesting to poll registered voters, especially independents, and ask if they could list several of his biggest accomplishments. I genuinely think virtually nobody would know.

There are at least two, maybe three people that are similarly old or older than Biden that would be doing far better.

It's not just age, or the message, it's how it's messaged too.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2022, 07:34:09 PM »

The American public is just misinformed/manipulated/ungrateful.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2022, 07:40:30 PM »

There are at least two, maybe three people that are similarly old or older than Biden that would be doing far better.

It's not just age, or the message, it's how it's messaged too.

People have brains and can think for themselves if they try. Does everyone want to be spoon fed by the media on what to believe? Critical thinking skills are our friend.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2022, 07:50:01 PM »

Biden is to blame for this, and Biden alone.

Rep. Abby Spanberger (D-VA) put it succinctly:  "Joe Biden wasn't elected to be FDR; he was elected to be Normal and stop the chaos."  In any number of ways, Joe Biden either hasn't gotten this message or hasn't been willing to pull this off.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2022, 07:56:25 PM »

Biden is to blame for this, and Biden alone.

Rep. Abby Spanberger (D-VA) put it succinctly:  "Joe Biden wasn't elected to be FDR; he was elected to be Normal and stop the chaos."  In any number of ways, Joe Biden either hasn't gotten this message or hasn't been willing to pull this off.

Massive props to Fuzzy for admitting that Biden was elected. That's huge progress and a step in the right direction of having our beloved Fuzzy of 8 years ago back. Cheesy
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies