What would the Democratic Party look like had Bernie won in 2016?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 09:46:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  What would the Democratic Party look like had Bernie won in 2016?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What would the Democratic Party look like had Bernie won in 2016?  (Read 581 times)
Zedonathin2020
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 07, 2022, 09:43:08 AM »

Would it be leaning more to the left, or would it have remained center-left after a potential loss for Sanders in 2020?
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2022, 10:42:30 PM »

Much further to the left things like criminal justice reform and the environment. Bernie would probably pass a Green New Deal.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2022, 10:37:23 PM »

1. Retains non-trivial white rural support.  Retains Obama suburban voters but without much expansion.
2. Texas probably never shifts left, but Georgia still does.
3. Bernie probably takes a considerably more civil libertarian approach to COVID than Biden or the average blue state governor did IRL.  Concern over working class unemployment would factor more strongly in the Dem COVID message.
支持核绿派 (Greens4Nuclear)
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2022, 10:59:01 PM »

Much further to the left things like criminal justice reform and the environment. Bernie would probably pass a Green New Deal.

...if he somehow had larger Congressional majorities than Biden does OTL. That would be a great timeline on those fronts but I have no idea how Dems would've taken back control of Congress in 2016 even if Bernie won over 300 EVs.

3. Bernie probably takes a considerably more civil libertarian approach to COVID than Biden or the average blue state governor did IRL.  Concern over working class unemployment would factor more strongly in the Dem COVID message.

I can kind of imagine this, but do you mind elaborating?
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2022, 05:43:22 PM »

1. Retains non-trivial white rural support.  Retains Obama suburban voters but without much expansion.
2. Texas probably never shifts left, but Georgia still does.
3. Bernie probably takes a considerably more civil libertarian approach to COVID than Biden or the average blue state governor did IRL.  Concern over working class unemployment would factor more strongly in the Dem COVID message.

We can never prove hypotheticals, but I agree with this. Probably would have won Nova by a slightly larger than Obama 2012 due to undeniable trends, but not dominating like Clinton and Biden.

Texas and Florida suburbs would have been blow out against Democrats. Not sure if he could have competed in Arizona.

If Bernie was the leader of the Democratic party, I would very much doubt that mass school and business closures would have much of thing in the United States. He would have pushed masking and basic covid restrictions obviously. 

I found it interesting that pre-covid that remote workers probably leaned to the GOP but now largely a liberal leaning demographic.

I respect Sanders even though I obviously have a large ideological gap between him and I. I voted for Sanders in the 2020 primaries  as a FU to the ultra-rich when it was clear Biden was going to win Virginia primary large anyway.  I did not like the Berniebros though. They made me want to PUKE. Yes, they were THAT annoying.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies