Conservatives Promote American Version of Infant Abandonment System
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 20, 2024, 09:32:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Conservatives Promote American Version of Infant Abandonment System
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Conservatives Promote American Version of Infant Abandonment System  (Read 1862 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 06, 2022, 05:01:05 PM »

Drop Box for Babies: Conservatives Promote a Way to Give Up Newborns Anonymously
After Roe, groups are seeking to expand safe haven laws, which allow women to surrender babies with minimal interference. But these laws pose their own problems.

Doesn't it remind you of the 'foundling wheels' of southern Italy which had a very similar function?

Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2022, 05:03:34 PM »

Not sure if there's anything particularly bad about this or that it has much to do with abortion being legal or illegal?
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2022, 05:04:04 PM »

Many in the GOP also oppose adoption now.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2022, 05:13:37 PM »

Not sure if there's anything particularly bad about this or that it has much to do with abortion being legal or illegal?

It doesn't. These have been around for a while.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2022, 05:52:03 PM »

Every community in the country should have this. It’s sad but a parent realizing they can’t raise a child is better then them abusing and resenting them
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2022, 06:42:42 PM »

Every community in the country should have this. It’s sad but a parent realizing they can’t raise a child is better then them abusing and resenting them

Or killing them or leaving them in dumpsters to die.

These things happened.  Preventing them was the goal of these drop-off stations.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2022, 06:47:09 PM »

Citation needed.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2022, 06:53:17 PM »

Agreed. If parents realise they won't raise a kid right, it's better that child is here than in a trash can or a dumpster, or in an abusive environment.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2022, 07:04:09 PM »

DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2022, 07:20:06 PM »

There is nothing to stop whoever operates these drop boxes from refusing to report an abandoned baby to social services unlike hospitals and fires stations would do. This is an open door for traffickers to get ahold of babies to sell and there are plenty of wealthy people with no scruples who will purchase babies. Not to mention no one knows what kind of people are behind these drop boxes to begin with.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2022, 07:53:34 PM »

There is nothing to stop whoever operates these drop boxes from refusing to report an abandoned baby to social services unlike hospitals and fires stations would do. This is an open door for traffickers to get ahold of babies to sell and there are plenty of wealthy people with no scruples who will purchase babies. Not to mention no one knows what kind of people are behind these drop boxes to begin with.

The whole purpose of these programs is to allow a mother to abandon a baby consequence-free, as opposed to putting it in a dumpster.

Even if I accept the premise of your last two (2) sentences, is this not better than kids being left in dumpsters?

In Florida, babies 3 days old or younger can be left at Fire Stations. 

This measure is better than not having this measure.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2022, 07:57:35 PM »

These are usually at hospitals and fire stations, and the organizations that lobby for them are well-known. I absolutely agree that they are an unsettling concept, but whatever alternative you'd suggest has yet to be advocated for in this thread.
Zenobiyl
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2022, 08:07:59 PM »

I highly doubt that
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2022, 08:49:18 PM »

That's what I thought. It's really just her, and no one on the right can figure out why. She's just that nuts.
Indy Texas 🇺🇦🇵🇸
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2022, 09:13:05 PM »

The whole purpose of these programs is to allow a mother to abandon a baby consequence-free, as opposed to putting it in a dumpster.

Even if I accept the premise of your last two (2) sentences, is this not better than kids being left in dumpsters?

In Texas, there have been a scandalous number of deaths of children in our underfunded state foster care system which Republicans refuse to fund adequately.

Are you willing to pay more tax to ensure an adequate number of facilities and caregivers for children who are wards of the state? Are you willing to foster or adopt unwanted children?

Of course you're not. You just want to force women to give birth to them. Once that's been accomplished, you could care less about what happens for the rest of their lives.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2022, 09:33:55 PM »

In Texas, there have been a scandalous number of deaths of children in our underfunded state foster care system which Republicans refuse to fund adequately.

Are you willing to pay more tax to ensure an adequate number of facilities and caregivers for children who are wards of the state? Are you willing to foster or adopt unwanted children?

Of course you're not. You just want to force women to give birth to them. Once that's been accomplished, you could care less about what happens for the rest of their lives.

Fuzzy has talked before about his experience adopting a child, so it's a little weird to just assume he would never do such a thing.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2022, 09:36:37 PM »

My 17 year old son is my adopted step-grandson, adopted through the Foster Care system.  He was adopted at age 5, when my wife and I were in our 50s.  We had cared for him since he was 1 1/2 and he was living with us full-time since he was 2 1/2.  

The last time I spoke at a public political event was a candidates forum in 2003.  My question was why none of the candidates were even addressing the issue of the shameful condition of Florida's Foster Care system, and that no candidates were even making it a priority.  And, yes, I have indeed advocated for greater funding and still do, as the need in this area continues to rise.

You taking a swipe at me having the facts at your disposal but not doing your research is par for the course.  That's pretty low, but it's par for the course from you.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2022, 09:39:57 PM »

My 17 year old son is my adopted step-grandson, adopted through the Foster Care system.  He was adopted at age 5, when my wife and I were in our 50s.  We had cared for him since he was 1 1/2 and he was living with us full-time since he was 2 1/2.  

The last time I spoke at a public political event was a candidates forum in 2003.  My question was why none of the candidates were even addressing the issue of the shameful condition of Florida's Foster Care system, and that no candidates were even making it a priority.  And, yes, I have indeed advocated for greater funding and still do, as the need in this area continues to rise.

You taking a swipe at me having the facts at your disposal but not doing your research is par for the course.  That's pretty low, but it's par for the course from you.

And while we're at it, what of any of this do YOU do?

Posting on Atlas is cheap.  What have YOU done for any of this that has cost you in any kind of commitment?
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2022, 10:16:06 PM »

Interesting as it is for one of Fuzzy's red-avatar interlocutors to derail the thread rather than Fuzzy himself, I'm not convinced we as a forum will benefit from having this particular argument yet again.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2022, 09:09:49 AM »

So a single, deeply unpopular member of the GOP making some weird off-the-cuff comment that was probably about transgenderism = "many in the GOP"? 

Go touch some grass.  Evangelical Christians adopt and foster kids at higher rates than anyone else, you know? 
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2022, 09:24:38 AM »

Interesting as it is for one of Fuzzy's red-avatar interlocutors to derail the thread rather than Fuzzy himself, I'm not convinced we as a forum will benefit from having this particular argument yet again.

I note that his personal attack on me and my wife is allowed to stand.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2022, 10:52:44 AM »

That's what I thought. It's really just her, and no one on the right can figure out why. She's just that nuts.

She’s probably not the only one that senior that thinks that way.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2022, 10:56:34 AM »

The bad thing is a lot of kids given up get passed into religious institutions which are there to groom the kids into child brides. Not a good situation post roe, government needs to turn its eye to the evangelical churches as the abuse will be allowed skyrocket as the pipelines are well in place. It’s why they pushed so hard.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2022, 10:57:41 AM »

We’re slowly going the way of Rome.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2022, 11:55:30 AM »

I note that his personal attack on me and my wife is allowed to stand.

I'd have deleted it on sight if I moderated this board. I think it's unacceptable.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies