Kansas votes to protect abortion rights in state constitution
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 10:41:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Kansas votes to protect abortion rights in state constitution
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Kansas votes to protect abortion rights in state constitution  (Read 1038 times)
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 03, 2022, 02:45:21 PM »

Kansans secured a huge win for abortion rights in the US on Tuesday night when they voted to continue to protect abortion in the state constitution.

The race was called by a host of US groups including NBC News, the New York Times and Decision Desk HQ.

The move will be seen as a huge loss for the anti-abortion movement and a major win for abortion rights advocates across America, who will see the result as a bellwether for popular opinion.

Kansas – a deeply conservative and usually reliably Republican state – is the first US state to put abortion rights to a vote since the US supreme court ruled to overturn constitutional protections for abortion in late June.

The state will remain a safe haven for abortion in the midwest, as one of the few states in the region where it remains legal to perform the procedure. Many other states have undertaken moves to make abortion largely illegal since June.

Joe Biden issued a statement welcoming the result. “This vote makes clear what we know: the majority of Americans agree that women should have access to abortion and should have the right to make their own healthcare decisions,” the US president said.

[...]

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/aug/03/kansas-abortion-vote-state-constitution
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2022, 02:46:52 PM »

Oh well look at that, it turns out quite a lot of Americans, even conservatives, don't appreciate other people forcing their beliefs on other people's bodies.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2022, 03:21:59 PM »

Americans are generally pro-choice when pushed. People who label themselves as 'pro-life' tend to have much more flexibility than the label otherwise suggests.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2022, 03:23:32 PM »

Americans are generally pro-choice when pushed. People who label themselves as 'pro-life' tend to have much more flexibility than the label otherwise suggests.

Most Americans I think are in the " I'm personally pro life, but I don't want to make the decision for the woman. ".
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2022, 04:05:05 PM »

Every state needs to do this. Let the people vote on what they want. Abortion certainly wouldn't be banned if the people were allowed to vote, since the majority of citizens want women to have access to abortions. The smarter states are finding ways to skirt around the federal ban. Good on them.
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2022, 04:56:11 PM »

That nearly 20 point margin is spectacular.
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2022, 05:00:14 PM »

I'd wager this is also a good sign for Kelly and Davids in november
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2022, 05:07:49 PM »

Evangelicals are bitter, loud minority
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2022, 05:19:30 PM »

Evangelicals are bitter, loud minority

So true.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2022, 01:01:41 AM »

There's something wrong about that referendum.

Both men and women were allowed to vote on it! That's wrong! THAT'S ABSOLUTELY UNFAIR!!! All of the men who were citizens of Kansas were supposed to be PROHIBITED FROM VOTING on that referendum! Why? Because the radical "Keep-Your-Laws-Off-My-Body! feminists keep on adamantly insisting that men have no say on this issue!! We must obey their COMMANDS, their obstinate, intransigent, holier-than-thou DEMAND that men have no say in what women can do with their bodies!

I say that referendum should be nullified, and the vote should be taken over again, but with all men prohibited from voting on it. Social justice demands that it be done. I will have a conniption fit if it is not done the right way, the way all feminists have INSISTED -- uncompromising, no ifs-and-or-buts -- men do not have a vote on abortion!
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2022, 01:04:41 AM »

Both men and women were allowed to vote on it! That's wrong! THAT'S ABSOLUTELY UNFAIR!!! All of the men who were citizens of Kansas were supposed to be PROHIBITED FROM VOTING on that referendum! Why? Because the radical "Keep-Your-Laws-Off-My-Body! feminists keep on adamantly insisting that men have no say on this issue!! We must obey their COMMANDS, their obstinate, intransigent, holier-than-thou DEMAND that men have no say in what women can do with their bodies!

I say that referendum should be nullified, and the vote should be taken over again, but with all men prohibited from voting on it. Social justice demands that it be done. I will have a conniption fit if it is not done the right way, the way all feminists have INSISTED -- uncompromising, no ifs-and-or-buts -- men do not have a vote on abortion!

Sir, this is a Wendy's.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2022, 10:25:03 AM »

Every state needs to do this. Let the people vote on what they want. Abortion certainly wouldn't be banned if the people were allowed to vote, since the majority of citizens want women to have access to abortions. The smarter states are finding ways to skirt around the federal ban. Good on them.

Well, isn't it nice that we actually can vote on this now?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2022, 12:45:18 PM »

This is great news and must be very confusing for the Doomer class.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2022, 12:51:35 PM »

You okay bro?
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2022, 01:01:34 PM »

Cope
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2022, 01:13:34 PM »

That would just mean it would pass 70-30 or more. Not exactly a winning strategy for the anti-choice crowd.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2022, 01:33:24 PM »

Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2022, 02:08:21 PM »

You okay bro?

Someone who has a signature calling for blowing up the 14th Amendment is almost *by definition* not okay.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2022, 03:32:22 PM »

Well, isn't it nice that we actually can vote on this now?

No. No more than potentially having to vote on the legality of contraception, gay marriage, or even interracial marriages.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2022, 09:14:53 PM »

I am so sick to death of radical feminists arrogantly, ignorantly, and rudely insisting that only women, not men, have a say in the legality of abortion that I want to keep repeating their own words and throw those words back into their face to prove how arrogant and ignorant they are.

Yeah man you sure showed them.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2022, 09:35:52 PM »

I said before that virtually no states would actually vote to ban abortion outside of the South and mormonland.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2022, 09:36:08 PM »

Obviously at the ballot box men can vote on the issue because everyone has a vote, but truthfully it shouldn't even be on the ballot because it's a personal issue.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2022, 10:20:55 PM »

Obviously at the ballot box men can vote on the issue because everyone has a vote, but truthfully it shouldn't even be on the ballot because it's a personal issue.

Actually, society has a vested interest in procreation. I will admit that. So it's not only about what women want, but perhaps it should be what women want to do with their bodies in the context of the larger picture. A civilized society wouldn't have to deal with abortion. But we are not a civilized society. We are fighters and killers. We murder each other, there is rape going on every single day. We steal and lie and cheat and do all sorts of evil dastardly things to each other. And at the top of the list of perpetrators I offer that it is mainly men doing all that evil.

So until men can act civilized, they should not have a say at all in how women treat their own bodies.

TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2022, 10:26:45 PM »

This is one example of how Democrats are much closer to the American mainstream views than Republicans, yet Republicans win due to flaws in the electoral system and Democrats’ political incompetence.  Unfortunately, as with other issues, conservatives win on abortion. Pro-lifers are more likely to have abortion as a litmus test for candidates, while generally pro-choice Republicans tend to vote for politicians who want to outlaw abortion.  
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2022, 08:50:14 AM »

Sir, this is a Wendy's.

My post got one recommend, and yours got 22. So that must mean that I posted something that is extremely unpopular.
Tough noogies. I stand by the reverse psychology that I was putting to use in that post. I am so sick to death of radical feminists arrogantly, ignorantly, and rudely insisting that only women, not men, have a say in the legality of abortion that I want to keep repeating their own words and throw those words back into their face to prove how arrogant and ignorant they are.

And,

Someone who has a signature calling for blowing up the 14th Amendment is almost *by definition* not okay.

You don't know what you're talking about.

There was such a disparate number of recommends of the respective posts not because you were some Fearless promoter of an unpopular truth, but because your post was objectively speaking ridiculous and pointless.

Worst still, your response above was both petulant and frankly rather misogynistic.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies