U.S. Rep Chuy Garcia calls random twitter user borderline r-
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 02:08:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  U.S. Rep Chuy Garcia calls random twitter user borderline r-
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: U.S. Rep Chuy Garcia calls random twitter user borderline r-  (Read 2046 times)
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2022, 10:24:59 AM »

Unpopular opinion here but the "r word" isn't inherently bad. It simply means "delayed" (i.e. the transition from fossil fuels to renewable energy is retarded.)

Growing up for me, it was never a slur. But as Sanchez once said, there is a difference between saying "Smoking weed is retarded" and saying "Your autistic brother is a retard."

Sure, but Garcia is pretty clearly using it as a slur.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2022, 10:26:03 AM »

The guy is certainly susceptible to being triggered by some dude nobody on the internet. That is not good for one's health.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2022, 10:33:03 AM »

Agree with the rhetoric, disagree with the policy behind it. FF on balance

That said I can't seem to find this on the news or anywhere -- I assume it's fake.

I saw it with my own two eyeballs, it's real.

Lmao, I'm guessing he deleted it?

Yup. I seriously doubt it was him personally, it was likely a staffer who thought they were on their personal account.
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.35, S: 0.35

P P
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2022, 10:50:16 AM »

People who get offended over "retarded" are pathetic.
Gracile
gracile
Moderators
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2022, 10:52:47 AM »

Someone's going to get reprimanded for this-

Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2022, 11:19:59 AM »

Tbh that does seem pretty representative of Chicago
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2022, 11:20:58 AM »

Cody,
So I guess you think that Congressman Garcia is "pathetic" ... right?
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.35, S: 0.35

P P
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2022, 11:24:32 AM »

Cody,

On one level this is mere boilerplate that's basically required to stave off further controversy, so whatever. On the other hand, as I've said many times I hate the entire victimology/offense-taking worldview, and Garcia has done his part to advance that worldview so... On the other hand again, politicians should ideally hold themselves to a higher standard in public communication. My problem is with people getting their undies in a bundle over words, not about how politicians should or should not speak in public.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2022, 11:30:06 AM »

Cody,

On one level this is mere boilerplate that's basically required to stave off further controversy, so whatever. On the other hand, as I've said many times I hate the entire victimology/offense-taking worldview, and Garcia has done his part to advance that worldview so... On the other hand again, politicians should ideally hold themselves to a higher standard in public communication. My problem is with people getting their undies in a bundle over words, not about how politicians should or should not speak in public.
I agree.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2022, 11:34:02 AM »

Cody,

Nice back-pedaling.
But unfortunately ... it didn't work.
So anyway, "whatever."
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2022, 11:52:49 AM »

Unpopular opinion here but the "r word" isn't inherently bad. It simply means "delayed" (i.e. the transition from fossil fuels to renewable energy is retarded.)

This is almost as dumb as OSR's "groomer can me multiple things" comment.
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2022, 11:58:32 AM »

Sorry that facts are inconvenient sometimes. I don't go for political correctness from either side and "banning" words and I've been pretty consistent about that.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2022, 12:02:23 PM »

Sorry that facts are inconvenient sometimes. I don't go for political correctness and "banning" words and I've been pretty consistent about that.

I don't know why you're being deliberately obtuse about this. Obviously the word retarded is used in contexts not involving mental disability, but this entire discussion is about using it as a slur against those with a mental disability.

It's sort of like saying f@g isn't "inherently a slur" because it can also mean a cigarette or a bundle of sticks. It's borderline bad-faith.

If you want to say a slur, just own up to it.
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2022, 12:17:33 PM »

Sorry that facts are inconvenient sometimes. I don't go for political correctness and "banning" words and I've been pretty consistent about that.

I don't know why you're being deliberately obtuse about this. Obviously the word retarded is used in contexts not involving mental disability, but this entire discussion is about using it as a slur against those with a mental disability.

It's sort of like saying f@g isn't "inherently a slur" because it can also mean a cigarette or a bundle of sticks. It's borderline bad-faith.

I've got three psychological conditions that have debilitated me to a large extent. I will own up to it.
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2022, 12:24:17 PM »

This is why we don't drink and use the bird app
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2022, 12:28:04 PM »

Growing up for me, it was never a slur. But as Sanchez once said, there is a difference between saying "Smoking weed is retarded" and saying "Your autistic brother is a retard."

"Tard" itself just means slow or late.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2022, 01:23:15 PM »

I refuse to let the easily-offended take that word.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2022, 02:52:10 PM »

As someone who is both autistic and has been on the recieving end of the word "retard" countless times, I'm going to agree with Scott on this, especially given the context it was used here.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2022, 02:58:20 PM »

As someone who is both autistic and has been on the recieving end of the word "retard" countless times, I'm going to agree with Scott on this, especially given the context it was used here.

Whenever anyone says the R word to me I always think it's ironic.

I tend to not be offended by it unless someone is using it in a personally degrading manor, though ideally, I think people should avoid the word.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2022, 04:23:06 PM »

there's also a difference between saying "the bill would retard the transition from fossil fuels to renewable" and "this post is retarded" so

Both are acceptable uses of the word.
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -7.91

« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2022, 05:11:26 PM »

So can I call atlas posters this word without getting banned or nah
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #46 on: July 30, 2022, 05:16:16 PM »

Regardless of one's stance on this issue, Garcia's response here was classless and unnecessary.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #47 on: July 30, 2022, 09:21:56 PM »

there's also a difference between saying "the bill would retard the transition from fossil fuels to renewable" and "this post is retarded" so

It's really not. Grow up. Do you call things "gay" as a substitute for lame too? I thought we abandoned this nonsense in the 2000s.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #48 on: July 30, 2022, 09:33:47 PM »

It's really not. Grow up. Do you call things "gay" as a substitute for lame too? I thought we abandoned this nonsense in the 2000s.

As long as there are people like me in this world, the word retarded will never be abandoned.

I'm incredibly stupid myself, so I like to think I'm just reclaiming the word. It's empowering.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #49 on: July 30, 2022, 09:55:05 PM »

As long as there are people like me in this world, the word retarded will never be abandoned.

I don't know if this was intentional phrasing or not, but congrats - welcome to my signature.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies