Man pinned down & shot in the neck by police officer
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 23, 2024, 02:52:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Man pinned down & shot in the neck by police officer
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Man pinned down & shot in the neck by police officer  (Read 936 times)
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 27, 2022, 09:22:12 PM »

Footage shows a Harris County Sheriff’s Office deputy chasing the man, pinning him down and hitting him with a stun gun before shooting him in the back.

The body camera footage shows that Brooks did not point the Taser toward the officer, and that he let go of it while Hardin reached for his gun.

Hardin then shot Brooks in the base of his head and neck while holding him to the ground.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/roderick-brooks-shooting-fatal-houston_n_62e18fb0e4b09d14dc3ef013?by

This is absolutely sickening. Of course, because he reached for the Taser, the killing officer will not be held responsible.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2022, 09:38:05 PM »

For things like this I always try to reserve judgement until the video is released...but this does not sound good to put it mildly. Even if he did reach for the taser that is not justification for deadly force.

OK there is a still frame in the article...and then this bit:

The body camera footage shows that Brooks did not point the Taser toward the officer, and that he let go of it while Hardin reached for his gun.

Not even remotely justifiable.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2022, 09:47:56 PM »

For things like this I always try to reserve judgement until the video is released...but this does not sound good to put it mildly. Even if he did reach for the taser that is not justification for deadly force.

There is NEVER a justification for an officer to use deadly force. Not even when a suspect is trying to kill them.
GM Team Member and Deputy PPT WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2022, 09:55:56 PM »

There is NEVER a justification for an officer to use deadly force. Not even when a suspect is trying to kill them.
No, if a guy is trying to run down an officer they have every right to use deadly force. Only when deadly force is being used by the assailant/criminal/whatever you wanna call em, is there justification.
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2022, 10:07:37 PM »
« Edited: July 29, 2022, 05:46:59 AM by YE »

Now imagine this system in the hands of an alt-right GOP majority determined to turn our country into Gilead.

Criminal justice reform is a winning issue and needs to be made a bigger focus of Democratic goals imo. Wake people up to what's going on. Our policing systems need to drastically change if our country is going to succesfully see out the 21st century.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2022, 10:09:44 PM »
« Edited: July 29, 2022, 05:47:16 AM by YE »

Now imagine this system in the hands of an alt-right GOP majority determined to turn our country into Gilead.

Criminal justice reform is a winning issue and needs to be made a bigger focus of Democratic goals imo. Wake people up to what's going on. Our policing systems need to drastically change if our country is going to succesfully see out the 21st century.

No, we need to not have a policing system or any criminal law enforcement, if we are to successfully see out the 21st century.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2022, 10:12:09 PM »

State sanctioned executions.

No, we need to not have a policing system or any criminal law enforcement, if we are to successfully see out the 21st century.

Didn't you want to hang the January 6th people
Indy Texas 🇺🇦🇵🇸
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2022, 10:13:10 PM »

What would you do if someone was trying to kill you? Politely ask them to please stop?
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2022, 10:13:54 PM »

State sanctioned executions.

Yes. However, we have the laws we have, and we're stuck with them, unfortunately. It's not lost on me that if the January 6 rioters were all black they would have already been hung.
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2022, 10:14:18 PM »
« Edited: July 29, 2022, 05:47:35 AM by YE »

I mean, I think what we need is drastic reform to demilitarize our police systems and properly fund our social service systems so that situations currently dealt by with the police that would more properly be dealt with by a social worker, for instance, is the way forward.

European style policing systems that are more community based usually don't see this kind of horrible crap happening on a weekly basis.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2022, 10:14:56 PM »

What would you do if someone was trying to kill you? Politely ask them to please stop?

Just let them shoot me?

They obviously aren't going to not shoot me if I ask for them to not shoot me if that's what they want to do.
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2022, 10:15:26 PM »
« Edited: July 29, 2022, 05:48:25 AM by YE »

Yes. However, we have the laws we have, and we're stuck with them, unfortunately. It's not lost on me that if the January 6 rioters were all black they would have already been hung.

Idk if I agree with the rest of your point, but this is pure facts. If the Left had attempted what the alt-right did on January 6th it would've been a blood bath. Period.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2022, 11:37:42 PM »

I'm gonna wait for the video, but as always, this guy would be alive had he, ya know, not done the things he did the few minutes before he died.  Like last time, I don't know if the cop should have shot him, but I do know it was really stupid to give the cop a good excuse to do it.

Now bring on your best low effort "lolbirtarian" jokes!
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2022, 01:09:30 AM »

Just let them shoot me?

They obviously aren't going to not shoot me if I ask for them to not shoot me if that's what they want to do.

So the use of force isn't even justified in cases of self-defense?
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2022, 01:10:50 AM »

Just let them shoot me?

I don't believe so, no. Hence why I want to repeal the Second Amendment.
Catholics vs. Convicts
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2022, 10:04:07 AM »

What is so damn hard about shooting to disable rather than shooting someone at point plank range to kill?
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2022, 11:16:27 AM »

Just let them shoot me?

So is your stance that the Uvalde police did nothing wrong?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2022, 12:20:00 PM »

What is so damn hard about shooting to disable rather than shooting someone at point plank range to kill?
Because that's not a thing that exists outside of TV and movies.

The problem in this case is that he shot at all.
They not like us
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2022, 12:27:56 PM »

Let this be a lesson to all hardened, evil, scum of the earth criminals who -checks notes- steal detergent from the dollar store
LBJer
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2022, 12:28:45 PM »
« Edited: July 28, 2022, 12:36:37 PM by LBJer »

Because doing so greatly decreases your chance of hitting the person.  If someone is trying to kill you, such an approach therefore increases the odds you'll be killed yourself.  Moreover, why do they even deserve such magnaminity from you?
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2022, 12:47:27 PM »

Just let them shoot me?

You are insane.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2022, 02:42:16 PM »

Sad that I didn't even need to click the link to know the race of the man who was shot.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2022, 05:29:44 AM »

Don’t feed the troll.
Catholics vs. Convicts
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2022, 10:58:03 AM »

Because doing so greatly decreases your chance of hitting the person.  If someone is trying to kill you, such an approach therefore increases the odds you'll be killed yourself.  Moreover, why do they even deserve such magnaminity from you?

If you are right on top of the guy and he is pinned face down, you have plenty of a likelihood of hitting the person in the hand, arm, or shoulder. I refuse to believe that it is a reasonable position to say that the only option for a cop who is supposedly threatened in that situation is to shoot to kill.

I offer "such magnanimity" as a bare minimum criticism of why the situation is outrageous. I have no problem saying there are greater problems of police aggression and oppression in situations that are completely uncalled for.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2022, 11:13:00 AM »

What exactly happened? Some people suggest the guy was running towards the cop and the cop did what he had to do while the other narrative is that the cop stunned the guy and went out of his way to extrajudicially execute him. Was this a successful repelling of an attack on a LEO or an extrajudicial execution?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies