Buenos Aires bans LatinX!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 12:55:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Buenos Aires bans LatinX!
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Buenos Aires bans LatinX!  (Read 574 times)
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 23, 2022, 11:31:00 PM »

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/07/20/world/americas/argentina-gender-neutral-spanish.html

kaoras
Chile

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2022, 12:13:57 AM »

But I thought that absolutely No Latinos used the term, what is the need of banning it?. All the people interviewed there must be Anglo imperialist transplants /s.

More seriously, I find banning it kinda dumb but is interesting they felt the need to go that far, was there really a push for using it on schools? In Chile you would never hear todes or write todxs in formal settings  Unless is an statement from a College's Humanities student center, that's it
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2022, 03:53:17 AM »

I assumed this was only a thing in the US
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2022, 06:56:51 AM »

Stupid word, even sillier fuss about it.
kaoras
Chile

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2022, 07:37:14 AM »

I assumed this was only a thing in the US

To quote myself:

The reason the poll is about writing is because Latinx is for writing. You don't "say" Latinx o latin@ , you read it in your mind as whatever you want but you still have the visual cue that is inclusive. When I read latinx on Atlas I read it as Latino, that is also the reason why is so popular compared with latine, latine disrupts your reading while Latinx does not.

This is why I always insist that Latinx came from Spanish speakers. Is something that makes perfect sense for written Spanish which has plenty of abbreviations impossible to pronounce like these

But Latinx as an inclusive form doesn't make any sense whatsoever in English (and yes, saying l-ah-tinks out loud is dumb)

For spoken Spanish some people do use latine but is more common to say todas y todos and so on (and in fact that form is VERY widespread in formal settings in Chile)

As far as lenguaje inclusivo goes Latinx is actually kinda clever.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2022, 07:45:24 AM »

But I thought that absolutely No Latinos used the term, what is the need of banning it?. All the people interviewed there must be Anglo imperialist transplants /s.

More seriously, I find banning it kinda dumb but is interesting they felt the need to go that far, was there really a push for using it on schools? In Chile you would never hear todes or write todxs in formal settings  Unless is an statement from a College's Humanities student center, that's it

Seems like red meat for the base from the mayor as he prepares to run for president.
Agonized-Statism
Anarcho-Statism
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -9.10, S: -5.83

P
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2022, 12:22:17 PM »

Because that absolutely needed addressing over all Argentina's other problems right now. Tongue
Edu
Ufokart
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2022, 09:44:34 PM »

I'm 35 so I don't hang out with high school or college aged students, but it's my understanding that for a few years now, schools and colleges (public ones at least) accept "inclusive language" in essays, exams and all that.

Seems like red meat for the base from the mayor as he prepares to run for president.

The vast majority of people either don't give a crap or hate the inclusive language thing, so he gets to ban it, please the people who don't like it and the kirchnerists can't focus against that issue so much without looking like idiots (last year some kirchnerists were even complaining that they lost the election because there was too much focus on "woke" stuff and not real problems).

Because that absolutely needed addressing over all Argentina's other problems right now. Tongue

Yeah, maybe the guys that control the presidency, half of congress and like 20/23 provinces should do something about that!
Bootes Void
iamaganster123
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2022, 12:35:39 AM »

Lmfao
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2022, 12:42:31 AM »

YES! BASED CITY!
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

P P P
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2022, 01:19:01 AM »

'Latinx' sounds like a deodorant. Probably useful for me.
Cortarán todas las flores, pero jamás detendrán la primavera
philormus
Rookie
Argentina
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2022, 02:29:25 AM »

Maybe you guys need a #Ally and deconstructed president like Alberto (present Alberto though, the old one wasn't uh, quite as deconstructed)
Or someone like Kicillof who'll defend our patriotic inclusive language against spanish linguistic imperialism!

Jokes aside, no one really cares about this, that article makes it sound like there's some "heated debate", but in reality this was on the news for a couple days and then everyone moved on. Inclusive language isn't very popular, and Larreta is just trying to score some easy points on this issue, made even easier by kirchnerists doin stuff like this:

There wasn't much of an echo elsewhere either, the governent of Jujuy presented a bill to ban it as well but had to withdraw it as it was badly written and would've banned the use of indienous languages in schools.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2022, 06:03:06 AM »

Jokes aside, no one really cares about this, that article makes it sound like there's some "heated debate", but in reality this was on the news for a couple days and then everyone moved on.

Really?? You shock me.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies