Cuba approves law change that opens door to gay marriage, other family rights
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 08, 2024, 10:44:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Cuba approves law change that opens door to gay marriage, other family rights
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Cuba approves law change that opens door to gay marriage, other family rights  (Read 1366 times)
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 23, 2022, 10:45:12 PM »

https://www.reuters.com/world/americas/cuba-approves-law-change-that-opens-door-gay-marriage-other-family-rights-2022-07-22/

Cuba's National Assembly on Friday approved a sweeping update of its family law which opens the door to allowing gay marriage, greater women's rights, and increased protections for children, the elderly and other family members.

The new Families Code will be put to a referendum vote on Sept. 25 after being debated in community meetings earlier this year, where organizers said 62% of participants expressed their support.

That is relatively low by Cuban standards, where the recently-passed new constitution was approved with 86% of the vote. Policy proposals in previous referendums have seen support of around 95%.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2022, 06:54:16 AM »

Cuba was notoriously homophobic for much of Saint Fidel's tenure, of course.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2022, 02:42:55 PM »

Why they listened to the Cuban evangelical association stalling the first version in the first place is beyond me. Great to see this going through.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2022, 06:29:53 PM »

Good news! But this probably means that Miami becomes less LGBTQ+ friendly out of spite now.
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2022, 06:44:37 PM »

Good news! But this probably means that Miami becomes less LGBTQ+ friendly out of spite now.

But can they un-retire Anita Bryant for that?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2022, 07:41:33 AM »

So even CUBA will be less fcked than half of America in 10 years?
Red Velvet
Brazil

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2022, 10:20:50 AM »

Happy for the LGBT Cuban community!
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2022, 01:32:32 PM »

Welcome news
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2022, 10:58:13 PM »

How does this math work out?

Cuba might approve gay marriage. I'd still rather be LGBTQ in the US than Cuba. FFS not every other country is better than us, particularly on social issues.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2022, 07:14:22 AM »

The point is surely more that the US is heading in the wrong direction on these issues?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2022, 08:21:52 AM »

The point is surely more that the US is heading in the wrong direction on these issues?

Let’s just go with this. There was a time when “rural values “dominated the culture of the United States. That’s when we had the lost generation.

Our soft power and future greatly depends on having inclusion, rather than nationalism on one end or a culture of guilt on the other.
coloradocowboi
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2022, 11:00:09 AM »

Cuba might approve gay marriage. I'd still rather be LGBTQ in the US than Cuba. FFS not every other country is better than us, particularly on social issues.

You can't even tell kids in a Florida classroom that it's okay to be gay (something that has never been illegal in Cuba).

I know a lot of straight people seem to believe that homophobia is a thing of the past, but it's still a serious problem in pretty much all of rural America and a good chunk of urban America too. Attitudes are improving, but Americans are about as tolerant, on average, as Latin Americans and Eastern Europeans of homosexuality. We are decidedly average when it comes to LGBTQ rights and happiness
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2022, 11:37:29 AM »

You can't even tell kids in a Florida classroom that it's okay to be gay (something that has never been illegal in Cuba).

I know a lot of straight people seem to believe that homophobia is a thing of the past, but it's still a serious problem in pretty much all of rural America and a good chunk of urban America too. Attitudes are improving, but Americans are about as tolerant, on average, as Latin Americans and Eastern Europeans of homosexuality. We are decidedly average when it comes to LGBTQ rights and happiness
I'm not straight.
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2022, 02:51:48 PM »

I'm not straight.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homonationalism
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2022, 04:46:33 PM »

I'm not straight.

Wasn’t that Ancient Greece?
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2022, 11:32:04 PM »

I'm not straight.

Damn, I've discovered a new ideology. Thanks.
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2022, 11:50:27 PM »

I'm not straight.

Damn, I've discovered a new ideology. Thanks.

I do genuinely recommend giving Jasbir Puar's Terrorist Assemblages, in which she coined and elucidated the term, a look, though. Her insight into this specific angle of the sociopolitical clime of the War on Terror is fascinating both from the perspective of The Queer Issue and as a microcosm of the Dubya milieu.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2022, 06:50:13 AM »

You can't even tell kids in a Florida classroom that it's okay to be gay (something that has never been illegal in Cuba)

So their very own Section 28 then. And more proof that the current GOP is a genuine force for evil.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2022, 11:19:02 AM »

The life for most gay people here will be far worse than in Cuba once Lawrence is overturned.
_.
Abdullah
United States
P P P
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2022, 01:11:15 PM »

Communist moment  Angry
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.35, S: 0.35

P P
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2022, 12:52:36 PM »

I'm not straight.

Homonationalism is good, actually. Coming up with fancy academic jargon to describe a worldview doesn't make it bad, and it's not like I care if the professional victims deem something ProblematicTM, anyway.

Communism is evil and I hope that the Cuban people enjoy a new birth of freedom in this lifetime.
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.35, S: 0.35

P P
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2022, 12:55:43 PM »

Yes, when Fidel Castro was busy rounding up gay people and putting them in concentration camps there would have been no repercussions for a teacher telling kids it's okay to be gay. 🤣

Thanks for the great laugh!
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies