Prez nominees who voted for another party before they were nominated
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 12:54:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Prez nominees who voted for another party before they were nominated
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Prez nominees who voted for another party before they were nominated  (Read 1316 times)
goin bezerk
Rookie
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 21, 2022, 11:15:00 PM »

We have one for after, now how about before? Here is what I could find. Please mention anything I missed.

Trump voted for Hillary in the 2008 primary, but McCain in the general. Idk about before that.

Hillary wasn’t old enough to support Goldwater.

Romney voted for Paul Tsongas in the 1992 primary.

Reagan voted for Truman 1948.

McGovern voted for Henry Wallace 1948.

Alf Landon voted for Roosevelt 1912

Hoover voted for Roosevelt 1912

Teddy Roosevelt voted for Cleveland 1884

Horace Greeley voted Lincoln 1860 and Grant 1868

Uylsses Grant voted for James Buchanan 1856

Lincoln voted for Zachary Taylor 1848

goin bezerk
Rookie
United States
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2022, 11:24:18 PM »

I’m still going to need to actually look into it for the VPs, but I know Pence voted for Carter in 1980.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2022, 02:03:38 AM »
« Edited: July 22, 2022, 02:07:00 AM by Goldwater »

Does that really count? The Republican Party didn't even exist until 1854, and the Whig Party would generally be considered it's predecessor.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2022, 06:00:02 AM »

I thought Grant was a Whig prior to the formation of the GOP?
buritobr
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2022, 08:18:34 AM »

And Reagan voted for FDR 4 times before voting for Truman
goin bezerk
Rookie
United States
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2022, 08:52:02 AM »

Maybe, but he voted for Buchanan.

“In the 1856 presidential election, Grant cast his first presidential vote for Democrat James Buchanan, later saying he was really voting against Republican John C. Frémont over concern that his anti-slavery position would lead to southern secession and war and because he considered Frémont to be a shameless self-promoter.”
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulysses_S._Grant

Also,
For the 1860 election, he could not vote because he was not yet a legal resident of Illinois, but he favored Democrat Stephen A. Douglas over the eventual winner, Abraham Lincoln, and Lincoln over the Southern Democrat, John C. Breckinridge.[113] He was torn between his increasingly anti-slavery views and the fact that his wife remained a staunch Democrat.[114]
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2022, 02:35:13 AM »

Does that really count? The Republican Party didn't even exist until 1854, and the Whig Party would generally be considered it's predecessor.
And he was a member of the Whig Party when he was a US congressman from 1847-1849.
Podgy the Bear
mollybecky

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2022, 07:26:27 AM »

Wendell Willkie was a delegate to the DNC in 1932 and voted for FDR that year.

He didn't declare himself as a Republican until 1939.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2022, 02:09:29 PM »

Alf Landon voted for Roosevelt 1912

Hoover voted for Roosevelt 1912

Not sure that counts too much.  TR was pretty much one of two Republican candidates in 1912, and certainly, many TR-backers felt they were supporting the "real" Republican candidate.  They didn't feel as if they were crossing party lines.
Podgy the Bear
mollybecky

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2022, 03:52:50 PM »

Hoover headed the U.S. Food Administration during the Wilson administration and supported a Democratic congress in the 1918 midterms.  He noted that it was a patriotic duty to support the government in World War I and to vote for candidates who backed those efforts. 

Going into 1920, many people thought he was a Democrat.  And he did have the support of a lot of Democrats who knew that they were going into a bloodbath that year.  In fact, FDR wrote to a colleague in early 1920 that there was not a better candidate than Hoover to run for President.
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2022, 09:45:37 PM »

A few that no one mentioned:

John Quincy Adams and James Buchanan were two of the many Federalists who ultimately joined the Democratic-Republican Party (Buchanan arguably went straight from the Federalists to the Democratic Party).

John C. Fremont was a Democrat (and was also the son-in-law of prominent Democratic senator Thomas Hart Benton) before joining the Republican Party. That also wasn't unusual: other examples include Chief Justice Salmon P. Chase and Vice President Hannibal Hamlin.

Woodrow Wilson voted for the conservative "Gold Democrat" John Palmer in 1896 since he viewed William Jennings Bryan as too radical (which is ironic given that Bryan would later serve as his Secretary of State). I'm not sure who Wilson voted for in subsequent elections but it wouldn't shock me if he voted for McKinley in 1900.
Tmau
United States
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2023, 11:08:43 AM »

FDR voted for Teddy Roosevelt in 1904.
E-Dawg
Guy
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2023, 02:11:28 AM »

FDR voted for Teddy Roosevelt in 1904.
Source please?
Republican Party Stalwart
Stalwart_Grantist
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2023, 08:25:14 PM »
« Edited: July 21, 2023, 03:44:55 PM by Republican Party Stalwart »

A few that no one mentioned:

John Quincy Adams and James Buchanan were two of the many Federalists who ultimately joined the Democratic-Republican Party (Buchanan arguably went straight from the Federalists to the Democratic Party).

John C. Fremont was a Democrat (and was also the son-in-law of prominent Democratic senator Thomas Hart Benton) before joining the Republican Party. That also wasn't unusual: other examples include Chief Justice Salmon P. Chase and Vice President Hannibal Hamlin.

Woodrow Wilson voted for the conservative "Gold Democrat" John Palmer in 1896 since he viewed William Jennings Bryan as too radical (which is ironic given that Bryan would later serve as his Secretary of State). I'm not sure who Wilson voted for in subsequent elections but it wouldn't shock me if he voted for McKinley in 1900.

I doubt it. I think that he voted for Bryan in 1900, despite considering him "too radical" in 1896, because "anti-imperialism" (Wilson's primary lifelong ideological cause) largely replaced "free silver" as Bryan's primary campaign issue in 1900 (even though Bryan did still support free silver, he didn't use it as his primary rallying point anymore), not to mention that Bryan and Wilson were always in agreement with each other about income taxes, free trade, temperance/prohibitionism, and possibly also women's suffrage and the direct election of senators. Carl Schurz is another example of someone with left-liberal leanings who voted against Bryan in 1896 and then for Bryan in 1900 (although I believe Schurz differed from Wilson in that Schurz voted McKinley in 1896, whereas Wilson voted for the John Palmer/Simon Buckner "National Democratic" ticket).
Stalwart_Grantist
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2023, 08:33:12 PM »

He was, and so was his father, but his personal life had developed leading up to 1856 in such a way that he decided to vote Buchanan to spite Fremont's "disunionism" that year; perhaps he believed that Fillmore wasn't anti-Republican Party enough, or he just never considered voting Fillmore because of some other reason, or perhaps he chose Buchanan over Fillmore because he just wanted to be distinct from his Whig upbringing in some phase of young adult angst. He also may have been influenced by his father-in-law, who was a Democrat.
Stalwart_Grantist
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2023, 08:14:53 AM »

Teddy Roosevelt voted for Cleveland 1884

I'm pretty sure that's incorrect, but just adjacent to the truth. My understanding is that Teddy considered voting for Cleveland but ultimately ended up voting for Blaine (or at the very least, publicly supported and/or publicly claimed to have voted for Blaine), in spite of his personal desire to vote Cleveland, in order to preserve his chances of ever becoming a successful Republican politician, who wouldn't be stonewalled from running as a Republican by the party establishment, in the future. The same situation befell Henry Cabot Lodge, Teddy's friend and fellow aspiring Republican politician, at the time.
miles prower
Rookie
United States
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2023, 08:59:24 AM »

https://books.google.com/books?id=KRSJDwAAQBAJ&pg=PT43&lpg=PT43&dq=%22my+father+and+grandfather+were+democrats+and+I+was+born+and+brought+up+a+democrat+but+in+1904%22&source=bl&ots=hzosgN22RO&sig=ACfU3U2pVNAijmQQiZi5EmMi6OmbKG7cTA&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies