Who has the most strange position on a single issue given their broader ideological beliefs?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 03:05:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Who has the most strange position on a single issue given their broader ideological beliefs?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Who has the most strange position on a single issue given their broader ideological beliefs?  (Read 991 times)
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 21, 2022, 03:45:09 AM »

discuss
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2022, 06:06:37 AM »

Fmr. Gov. NickG is one of our only maroon avatars who never (vocally) supported ANY so-called "lockdowns" or social restrictions during pandemic.  We also have a handful of red avvies (such as jimmie) who took a similar stance. 

Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2022, 08:22:18 AM »

Fmr. Gov. NickG is one of our only maroon avatars who never (vocally) supported ANY so-called "lockdowns" or social restrictions during pandemic.  We also have a handful of red avvies (such as jimmie) who took a similar stance. 

I honestly think that lockdown policy was never a party political issue. Maybe in the US,
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2022, 08:42:47 AM »

BG-NY being pro-LGBT rights, though I have my suspicions about his sincerity.

Fuzzy Bear's stance on healthcare policy is pretty surprising.
certified hummus supporter 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2022, 10:05:03 AM »

bronz supporting femboys
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2022, 03:56:06 PM »

Secular xenophobia of the "Muslims will erode our separation of church and state" style feels like it was a lot more in-vogue around 2015/2016, but it's still not the most out there combination of beliefs.

As for Fuzzy, I think all you need to know is that this is a man who was a [pukes] "populist" before he was a Republican, rather than the other way around.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2022, 04:25:59 PM »

Source?

Also not surprising, bronz is gay.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2022, 06:56:20 PM »

Fuzzy is also anti-death penalty.
certified hummus supporter 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2022, 07:01:35 PM »

From the infamous Kaleb the Texan thread

I didn't call you a femboy. Don't allow the extreme right dictate who is masculine and who is feminine. That's one of the biggest mistakes the Democrats allowed in the 1980s and 1990s....they allowed Reagan, the aging dementia patient to dictate cultural terms.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2022, 07:11:42 PM »

I mean I take a liberal stance on health care despite supporting measures that allegedly increase income inequality.
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2022, 07:46:28 PM »
« Edited: July 23, 2022, 04:07:42 AM by Interlocutor »

I don't know where it fits on an ideological scale, but GMac's strong hostility towards sign language interpreters at press conferences
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2022, 10:12:39 PM »

I do not know if I would have supported this with hindsight. But prior to vaccines I did support MASK mandates, closing bar seating, and restricting indoor activity capacity. But I never did support shutting down businesses or schools.

I really hate MASKS. Yuck.
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2022, 11:53:28 PM »

I don't know where it fits on an ideological scale, but GMac's strong hostility towards sign language interpreters at press conferences
I don't see how that kind of s**tyness towards deaf people conflicts with gmac's worldview, at least considering his general attitude towards the economically struggling.
BG-NY
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.23, S: 0.42

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2022, 12:00:44 AM »

Why is that strange, and what do you suspect about my sincerity?

I am an atheist, and opposed the GOP during Bush's era. I actually registered to vote on my 18th birthday in 2004, a week before election day, to vote for Kerry and stop Bush. I also have questioned my sexuality before (I am straight though, I am pretty sure) and there are a number of LGBT people very close to me.

Abortion I go back and forth between being pro-choice (from a women's autonomy but also to reduce population level) to not caring.

I support BLM (not from a leftist perspective, but because I think the establishment is trying to kill people who act out) and am anti-police, but that is mostly an artifact of 1/6. I am also anti-death penalty and agree with the dems on drugs.
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.35, S: 0.35

P P
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2022, 03:10:48 PM »

I think PG&E and Purdue Pharma executives should be hanged, so maybe that?
TransfemmeGoreVidal
Fulbright DNC
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2022, 03:22:50 PM »

Not a political stance per say but BRTDs religious beliefs are truly strange. Not because he’s a liberal that happens to be a devout Christian because that’s really not all that unusual (I used to be one myself) but because he prides himself on having every single aspect of his life be a reflection of his politics and most other people as unrepentantly culturally liberal as that would be particularly hostile to evangelical Christianity.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2022, 12:33:34 AM »

Not a political stance per say but BRTDs religious beliefs are truly strange. Not because he’s a liberal that happens to be a devout Christian because that’s really not all that unusual (I used to be one myself) but because he prides himself on having every single aspect of his life be a reflection of his politics and most other people as unrepentantly culturally liberal as that would be particularly hostile to evangelical Christianity.
I go to a really liberal church though so I don't see how it's inconsistent.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2022, 03:09:14 PM »

I am an atheist, and opposed the GOP during Bush's era. I actually registered to vote on my 18th birthday in 2004, a week before election day, to vote for Kerry and stop Bush. I also have questioned my sexuality before (I am straight though, I am pretty sure) and there are a number of LGBT people very close to me.

Abortion I go back and forth between being pro-choice (from a women's autonomy but also to reduce population level) to not caring.

I support BLM (not from a leftist perspective, but because I think the establishment is trying to kill people who act out) and am anti-police, but that is mostly an artifact of 1/6. I am also anti-death penalty and agree with the dems on drugs.

I don't think that you're necessarily anti-LGBT, but what I'm suggesting is that you exaggerate how much you care about the issue so you can present a more 'acceptable' reason for being an anti-immigration extremist, and perhaps win over a few social liberals to your side.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2022, 04:59:30 PM »

I don't think that you're necessarily anti-LGBT, but what I'm suggesting is that you exaggerate how much you care about the issue so you can present a more 'acceptable' reason for being an anti-immigration extremist, and perhaps win over a few social liberals to your side.

Any social liberal who's willing to tolerate a raging nativist xenophobe is not, in fact, a social liberal. Speaking personally (I do think I'm absolutely left-of-centre overall socially, but that's not relevant) I don't care if BG-NY and I agree on every other issue under the sun except immigration if his position is so, so, so terrible (and which I at least simply cannot accept given that I'm a 2nd generation immigrant - as in, both my parents are immigrants, and I suspect BG-NY would prefer it had they remained in India, which I find offensive and outrageous given that we are a nation of immigrants).

That said, I will say I think BG-NY is sincere - what he is is very America First (anti-immigration, including legal immigration, which is the primary reason I consider him a Massive HP; and very isolationist - hence opposition to Bush - very protectionist; and very populist), but genuinely on the liberal/progressive/populist side on certain other social issues - pro-choice, pro-LGBT (though I do think he does use this as a shield: whenever I criticise his position on immigration he changes the subject and attacks me, admittedly not wholly without merit, as anti-LGBT and transphobia), pro-BLM (though again, he uses this to make ridiculous arguments against immigration that are as offensive and outrageous as they are moronic), possibly economically populist/progressive too (I wouldn't be surprised at all if this were the case and if he was some anti-1% or Occupy Wall Street type economically).
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2022, 05:02:17 PM »

Ehh he has argued with conservatives on the Florida bill on the many atlas discord servers so it’s sincere. Though in terms of caring I think he basically has said he mainly cares about two issues and that is immigration and trade
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2022, 06:13:51 PM »

I think what's being gotten at is that most people otherwise similar to you would rather spend Sunday mornings at a really liberal bike shop or really liberal restaurant that calls sandwiches "sandos" instead.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2022, 02:35:08 PM »

The B in LGBT stands for bronz
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2022, 03:19:34 PM »

I think what's being gotten at is that most people otherwise similar to you would rather spend Sunday mornings at a really liberal bike shop or really liberal restaurant that calls sandwiches "sandos" instead.
We meet on Sunday evenings actually but anyway the bold part kind of disproves it. It works out pretty well because I'm not usually doing anything on Sunday at that time anyway unless I'm going to a show and those don't usually start until 7-8PM so I can just go there after church...in fact I did exactly that this Sunday!
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2022, 04:04:26 PM »

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length