H.R. 1522 (Puerto Rico Statehood Admission Act) text is up
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 08:24:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  H.R. 1522 (Puerto Rico Statehood Admission Act) text is up
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: H.R. 1522 (Puerto Rico Statehood Admission Act) text is up  (Read 751 times)
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2022, 01:53:09 AM »

The Senate isn't gonna pass this
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2022, 07:35:33 AM »

Considering it is a 3 way referendum that asks for a majority vote, I wonder what happens in case there is a plurality. Something like say 49% statehood, 46% status quo, 5% independence.

I believe there would be a runoff. And no status quo option, just statehood, independence, or free association.

Hot take: I think omitting the status quo is a good thing. Maintaining a status where Puerto Ricans cannot vote for the government that rules them is quite simply wrong, regardless of whether or not there's a consensus in favor of it, which I doubt there is.

And literally kicking them out of the country despite them not willing that, whether de iure (independence) or de facto (free association) is any better? Huh
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2022, 11:16:53 AM »

Considering it is a 3 way referendum that asks for a majority vote, I wonder what happens in case there is a plurality. Something like say 49% statehood, 46% status quo, 5% independence.

I believe there would be a runoff. And no status quo option, just statehood, independence, or free association.

Hot take: I think omitting the status quo is a good thing. Maintaining a status where Puerto Ricans cannot vote for the government that rules them is quite simply wrong, regardless of whether or not there's a consensus in favor of it, which I doubt there is.

And literally kicking them out of the country despite them not willing that, whether de iure (independence) or de facto (free association) is any better? Huh

No, what I'm saying is that the permanent organized incorporated territory status is a rather absurd relic of an overtly colonial past and should not be an option, and that to that end Puerto Rico ought to have a choice between statehood, free association, or independence. I have heard compelling arguments in favor of each option; since I'm not Puerto Rican, I don't think it's my place to opine on which is best for them. However, I do think I can at least say that the ostensible reasons for Puerto Rico's current status are addressed better than the status quo by one or many of these options.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2022, 12:16:45 PM »

Also keep in mind that Puerto Rico's representative in Congress is the main driver of this, and it has the support of Puerto Rico's governor, so it's not a situation of non-PR Americans deciding something on behalf of Puerto Rico for their own benefit at the expense of Puerto Ricans'.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies