H.R. 1522 (Puerto Rico Statehood Admission Act) text is up
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 02:06:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  H.R. 1522 (Puerto Rico Statehood Admission Act) text is up
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: H.R. 1522 (Puerto Rico Statehood Admission Act) text is up  (Read 752 times)
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 15, 2022, 02:05:16 PM »
« edited: July 15, 2022, 02:10:36 PM by GALeftist »

Here it is, it would establish a binding referendum choosing between Statehood, Free Association, and independence.

Notably, it seems Velazquez is now on board, as is Grijalva. Unclear if Ocasio-Cortez is. DC statehood is obviously a nonstarter in this senate, but I think it's at least conceivable that this could get through; it has 17 Republican cosponsors plus González-Colón. Being voted on by the House Committee on Natural Resources next week.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2022, 02:12:49 PM »

Unfortunately it's DOA.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2022, 02:13:39 PM »
« Edited: July 15, 2022, 03:08:34 PM by 7,052,770 »

Cool. The very notion that we have a colony without any voting rights, despite them asking for statehood multiple times, is an affront to American values and basic decency.

It doesn't even matter how they vote. I would rather have a 52-50 R Senate where Puerto Rico sends two MTG types in to the Senate than the status quo we have now. The rest of our fellow Americans who happen to live in the territories should have this same opportunity.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2022, 02:33:07 PM »

Won't happen, but at least I got it to be part of Atlasia many, many years ago and we all dream for the day that they become a real state.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2022, 02:50:47 PM »

Considering it is a 3 way referendum that asks for a majority vote, I wonder what happens in case there is a plurality. Something like say 49% statehood, 46% status quo, 5% independence.

Also it's extremely disappointing that there is no "status quo" option considering that's an option supported by, at the very least, a huge minority of Puerto Ricans! (around 40-50% iirc). "Free association" is basically de-facto independence so it doesn't really count.

Indeed back in the 2017 referendum that was boycotted by the anti-statehood crowd, they were merged into a single option.

Anyways thankfully the bill seems DOA; as it is not the bill Puerto Rico wants or needs I think?
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2022, 03:01:03 PM »

Probably, but it is worth noting that there are a few senators like Rubio, Scott, and Cruz who I'd be very surprised if they opposed it based on past statements. The path to Senate ratification obviously includes those three plus Manchin and Sinema (Manchin in particular has been weird about this; he seems to have some idea about a national referendum for PR specifically?) as well as Murkowski and Capito, both of whom have indicated they'd be open to it if Puerto Rico definitely wants statehood. 60 votes probably aren't there atm but I think it's at least plausible.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2022, 03:08:12 PM »

Considering it is a 3 way referendum that asks for a majority vote, I wonder what happens in case there is a plurality. Something like say 49% statehood, 46% status quo, 5% independence.

I believe there would be a runoff. And no status quo option, just statehood, independence, or free association.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2022, 03:12:18 PM »

I believe there would be a runoff. And no status quo option, just statehood, independence, or free association.

Hot take: I think omitting the status quo is a good thing. Maintaining a status where Puerto Ricans cannot vote for the government that rules them is quite simply wrong, regardless of whether or not there's a consensus in favor of it, which I doubt there is.
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2022, 03:42:03 PM »

What is the difference between “free association” and the status quo? I know that the three Pacific nations that are in free association get some benefits from the US (like social security iirc).
wesmoorenerd
westroopnerd
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -7.13

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2022, 03:58:43 PM »

I'm sick of these endless referenda. PR has made it clear repeatedly that at the very least a plurality of its residents want statehood.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2022, 04:20:29 PM »

I'm sick of these endless referenda. PR has made it clear repeatedly that at the very least a plurality of its residents want statehood.

At least this bill gets it done, as it would force the federal government to admit it as a state if the referendum passes, even if the Congress in 2023-24 doesn't want to.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2022, 06:03:16 PM »

It's not happening, and if it somehow magically gets through, I'm not voting for statehood.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2022, 06:07:48 PM »

It's not happening, and if it somehow magically gets through, I'm not voting for statehood.

I thought you've been an ardent supporter in the past. Did something change?
BG-NY
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.23, S: 0.42

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2022, 06:15:08 PM »

It makes sense. I don't know the tax structure in PR too well, but I would rather not pay federal income taxes than to be represented/be able to vote in federal elections.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2022, 06:21:27 PM »

What is the difference between “free association” and the status quo? I know that the three Pacific nations that are in free association get some benefits from the US (like social security iirc).

My understanding is that free association would be the same arrangement as those three nations (Palau, Micronesia, and the Marshall Islands). Very different from the current “Free Associated State”.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2022, 06:24:24 PM »

It makes sense. I don't know the tax structure in PR too well, but I would rather not pay federal income taxes than to be represented/be able to vote in federal elections.

So if your state held a vote on whether to revert to just being a territory, you would vote yes? I definitely wouldn't, even though it would help my party control Congress.
BG-NY
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.23, S: 0.42

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2022, 06:29:41 PM »

So if your state held a vote on whether to revert to just being a territory, you would vote yes? I definitely wouldn't, even though it would help my party control Congress.
Yes. A few years ago I would say no, but as my income has increased the difference is material.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2022, 06:34:04 PM »

I was, and something did change, as it did for many here. A combination of Hurricane Maria, Trump, living in the mainland, and the current state of U.S. politics, which would be like welcoming a political blight into my culture.

Seeing how things are going right now, and if you were outside of the U.S. "proper", would you want to join in on the insanity, or keep yourself at arm's length?

This is a secondary motivator. Federal income tax would devastate our already weak economy, given that the tax structure and financial burden is quite heavy, including paying multiple port taxes, municipal taxes, state taxes, social security, medicare/medicaid, etc.

It just doesn't make a lot of sense to just get some votes into a disproportionate legislature and an undemocratic electoral system.

We are already a territory/commonwealth/colony. If it's a trinary vote between free association, independence, and statehood, I would personally prefer the former two, and I would weigh how to cast my vote pragmatically based on how things are going to prevent statehood.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2022, 08:03:39 PM »

I was, and something did change, as it did for many here. A combination of Hurricane Maria, Trump, living in the mainland, and the current state of U.S. politics, which would be like welcoming a political blight into my culture.
Fair enough, but [hopefully...] Trump is over with and done, and America is back on the upswing. I think most Americans would be sad to see y'all go.

Seeing how things are going right now, and if you were outside of the U.S. "proper", would you want to join in on the insanity, or keep yourself at arm's length?
Yes, I'm pretty sure I would if I lived in any North American/Caribbean country south of the USA. Canada would be a tossup.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2022, 08:04:56 PM »

We are already a territory/commonwealth/colony. If it's a trinary vote between free association, independence, and statehood, I would personally prefer the former two, and I would weigh how to cast my vote pragmatically based on how things are going to prevent statehood.
It wouldn't really matter which one you picked, since a plurality is not enough. As long as statehood gets below 50%, it would have to go to a runoff against whichever one finished higher.
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2022, 08:05:49 PM »

Let's hope PR finally becomes a state!
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2022, 08:06:28 PM »

Let's hope PR finally becomes a state!

Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2022, 08:55:42 PM »

Fair enough, but [hopefully...] Trump is over with and done, and America is back on the upswing. I think most Americans would be sad to see y'all go.

Yes, I'm pretty sure I would if I lived in any North American/Caribbean country south of the USA. Canada would be a tossup.

My friend, America has not been back on the upswing since 2001. It could recover, but who knows. The current signs aren't promising in my view.

And I guess we have different perspectives on the benefits of joining the states. The scales are unbalanced, I fear.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2022, 09:13:22 PM »

Does PR have a draft state constitution yet?
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2022, 12:07:40 AM »

Does PR have a draft state constitution yet?

PR already has a constitution based on the U.S. constitution, which serves as a state constitution; all this already exists thanks to the ambivalent political status quo.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies