Republican AG says he'll investigate Indiana doctor who provided care to 10-year-old rape victim
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:13:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Republican AG says he'll investigate Indiana doctor who provided care to 10-year-old rape victim
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7
Author Topic: Republican AG says he'll investigate Indiana doctor who provided care to 10-year-old rape victim  (Read 4701 times)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: July 22, 2022, 01:05:40 AM »

The odds that a 20 year old woman would be psychologically traumatized over having an abortion at age 10 because she has since decided that abortion is murder and morally wrong even in such a situation would be minuscule compared to the odds that a 20 year old woman would be psychologically traumatized after giving birth at age 10.

Yeah. From these scenarios..

- Raped as a 10 year old, possibly by father or uncle
- Pregnant for 9 months including the baby kicking, morning sickness
- Giving birth as a 10 year old, maybe had some chance of dying
- Had an abortion when 10, ended the life of the fetus

... which do you think is most likely to cause deep trauma that requires therapy, and which do you think is least likely? Seems obvious to me.

Why would it be obvious?

If a child is raped and becomes pregnant, the likelihood of deep trauma that requires therapy is very high. Beyond that what basis is there for saying for sure whether abortion or birth would be more likely to compound the trauma

I just don't even know what else to say at this point. If you honestly don't grasp what pregnancy and birth do mentally and physically to a body of any age, much less a preteen carrying her adult rapist's baby, I guess you're just going to have to take the word of people who do.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #126 on: July 22, 2022, 01:07:08 AM »

The odds that a 20 year old woman would be psychologically traumatized over having an abortion at age 10 because she has since decided that abortion is murder and morally wrong even in such a situation would be minuscule compared to the odds that a 20 year old woman would be psychologically traumatized after giving birth at age 10.

... which do you think is most likely to cause deep trauma that requires therapy, and which do you think is least likely? Seems obvious to me.

Why would it be obvious?

If a child is raped and becomes pregnant, the likelihood of deep trauma that requires therapy is very high. Beyond that what basis is there for saying for sure whether abortion or birth would be more likely to compound the trauma?  

https://c.tenor.com/JEj4FA-lXdEAAAAM/confused-jaguarsfan.gif

I just don't even know what else to say at this point. If you honestly don't grasp what pregnancy and birth do mentally and physically to a body of any age, much less a preteen carrying her adult rapist's baby, I guess you're just going to have to take the word of people who do.

Why would I take your word for it?  I would take the word of women who had been through this or something similar, and had either had an abortion or given birth. The problem is we know that women don't all respond the same way in either situation.  What do you say to the women raped at a young age who regret their abortions and those who do not regret giving birth?  

But isn't this the point of anti-abortionists like yourself to make the solution of one size fit all rather than allowing the choice up to the individual woman or their parents?

Look dude. We know where your loyalties lie, so please stop spouting off like an extremely foolish individual
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #127 on: July 22, 2022, 01:12:02 AM »
« Edited: July 22, 2022, 08:22:33 AM by Badger »

Why would it be obvious?

If a child is raped and becomes pregnant, the likelihood of deep trauma that requires therapy is very high. Beyond that what basis is there for saying for sure whether abortion or birth would be more likely to compound the trauma?  

Why would I take your word for it?  I would take the word of women who had been through this or something similar, and had either had an abortion or given birth. The problem is we know that women don't all respond the same way in either situation.  What do you say to the women raped at a young age who regret their abortions and those who do not regret giving birth?

Obviously I would say "I respect your opinion but also recognize you're in the extreme minority." What else would you expect me to say?

There are plenty of testimonials out there of women who gave birth as a preteen if you honestly don't grasp how horrific it is.

And abortion isn't horrific?

I'm asking what is your evidence that they are in the extreme minority?

And the mask slips off. "ful## that little girl" "Thoughts and prayers ", but I'd sooner see a 10-year-old girl go through the horror and Trauma of being forced to Bear her rapists child then give her and her mother even the option of terminating the pregnancy because that's what I believe and that's all that matters.
wesmoorenerd
westroopnerd
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -7.13

« Reply #128 on: July 22, 2022, 03:53:53 AM »

Why would it be obvious?

If a child is raped and becomes pregnant, the likelihood of deep trauma that requires therapy is very high. Beyond that what basis is there for saying for sure whether abortion or birth would be more likely to compound the trauma

Why would I take your word for it?  I would take the word of women who had been through this or something similar, and had either had an abortion or given birth. The problem is we know that women don't all respond the same way in either situation.  What do you say to the women raped at a young age who regret their abortions and those who do not regret giving birth?

Obviously I would say "I respect your opinion but also recognize you're in the extreme minority." What else would you expect me to say?

There are plenty of testimonials out there of women who gave birth as a preteen if you honestly don't grasp how horrific it is.

haha holy sh!t this is profoundly evil to the point of absurdity
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #129 on: July 22, 2022, 06:00:20 AM »

The idea that the 10 year old would have the abortion and then just go on with her life is, likely, wishful thinking.  A 10 year old is certainly not ready to RAISE a child, but what happens when that 10 year old becomes a 20 year old with the belief that she KILLED that child? 

If anyone were to try and tell this girl that she "killed her child", they are a horrible person. Full stop.

People come to that idea by themselves.  People really can use their own God-given logic.  They can see an unborn child (theirs, or someone else's) and  see it as human.  They can do that without the help of the "Right Wing Noise Machine"; they can look at their unborn child, or the unborn child of another and say, "I was there once!".  And, having concluded that, they can ask themselves if the child was a human yesterday.  And the day before that.  And the day before that, etc.  That's an easy thing to do with human life that is at a stage that you were once at.

Of course, maybe you can't.  Maybe your immersion into your particular World View has neutralized a part of your basic humanity.  If that's the case, that's a shame.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #130 on: July 22, 2022, 08:25:36 AM »

The idea that the 10 year old would have the abortion and then just go on with her life is, likely, wishful thinking.  A 10 year old is certainly not ready to RAISE a child, but what happens when that 10 year old becomes a 20 year old with the belief that she KILLED that child? 

If anyone were to try and tell this girl that she "killed her child", they are a horrible person. Full stop.

People come to that idea by themselves.  People really can use their own God-given logic.  They can see an unborn child (theirs, or someone else's) and  see it as human.  They can do that without the help of the "Right Wing Noise Machine"; they can look at their unborn child, or the unborn child of another and say, "I was there once!".  And, having concluded that, they can ask themselves if the child was a human yesterday.  And the day before that.  And the day before that, etc.  That's an easy thing to do with human life that is at a stage that you were once at.

Of course, maybe you can't.  Maybe your immersion into your particular World View has neutralized a part of your basic humanity.  If that's the case, that's a shame.

Yes. He isn't the one trying to force a 10-year-old girl to Bear her rapists baby,  and he's the one showing a complete disconnect from caring about this girl's long-term mental and physical health. Roll Eyes

Despicable
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #131 on: July 22, 2022, 09:14:05 AM »

Todd Rokita has always been an asshole. He’s the one Republican I always have voted against just because of how much I personally dislike him.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #132 on: July 22, 2022, 10:54:05 AM »

I wouldn't say anything to them, because how they feel about their pregnancy/abortion it is entirely their business.

I don't think you guys really understand the concept of "pro-choice." If a woman chooses to deliver the pregnancy, that is her prerogative. Pro-choicers don't care if a woman chooses to go through with a pregnancy.

And a 10-year-old is likely going to be traumatized by the decision regardless - whether she gives birth or gets an abortion - because she was impregnated via rape and she is 10.

The situation is inherently traumatic. We don't have a time machine to prevent the rape from happening, so the best we can do is offer girls/women a choice in how they want to proceed. 

Just use your common sense here.

Some women may be perfectly OK with their abortions. Others may regret it. Others may regret not getting an abortion. And others may be perfectly happy with their decision to give birth. No matter what, their feelings are perfectly valid.

We can't know how this little girl is going to feel 10 years from now. Maybe she'll regret it. Maybe she won't. That's up to her.

But taking away that choice from her isn't going to do anything to help her.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #133 on: July 22, 2022, 01:34:10 PM »

Why would it be obvious?

Why would I take your word for it?  I would take the word of women who had been through this or something similar, and had either had an abortion or given birth. The problem is we know that women don't all respond the same way in either situation.  What do you say to the women raped at a young age who regret their abortions and those who do not regret giving birth?   

But isn't this the point of anti-abortionists like yourself to make the solution of one size fit all rather than allowing the choice up to the individual woman or their parents?

My approach to cases like this would be more to encourage a choice not to abort, and supporting whatever would make that choice possible for someone, unless there is a medical threat from the pregnancy.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #134 on: July 22, 2022, 01:44:21 PM »

I wouldn't say anything to them, because how they feel about their pregnancy/abortion it is entirely their business.

I don't think you guys really understand the concept of "pro-choice." If a woman chooses to deliver the pregnancy, that is her prerogative. Pro-choicers don't care if a woman chooses to go through with a pregnancy.

And a 10-year-old is likely going to be traumatized by the decision regardless - whether she gives birth or gets an abortion - because she was impregnated via rape and she is 10.

The situation is inherently traumatic. We don't have a time machine to prevent the rape from happening, so the best we can do is offer girls/women a choice in how they want to proceed. 

Just use your common sense here.

Some women may be perfectly OK with their abortions. Others may regret it. Others may regret not getting an abortion. And others may be perfectly happy with their decision to give birth. No matter what, their feelings are perfectly valid.

We can't know how this little girl is going to feel 10 years from now. Maybe she'll regret it. Maybe she won't. That's up to her.

But taking away that choice from her isn't going to do anything to help her.

You say that "Pro-choicers don't care if a woman chooses to go through with a pregnancy." but some of them in this thread have said that it's *obvious* that an abortion would be *less* traumatic than giving birth for young girl.  If they really think that, it would actually be weird if they didn't care which choice was made.   So that's what I was responding to.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #135 on: July 22, 2022, 08:25:46 PM »

Yes. He isn't the one trying to force a 10-year-old girl to Bear her rapists baby,  and he's the one showing a complete disconnect from caring about this girl's long-term mental and physical health. Roll Eyes

Despicable

I'm pro-life, and I believe the unborn child is a fully human being.  That unborn child is not responsible for the horrible circumstances of that child's conception.

Your post is a sleazy personal attack, which is what you do most and best. 
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #136 on: July 22, 2022, 08:33:38 PM »

Why would it be obvious?

haha holy sh!t this is profoundly evil to the point of absurdity

yeah, it's absurd and evil to question whether abortion is anything other than sunshine and ponies.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #137 on: July 22, 2022, 10:09:28 PM »

Logic is not given by whatever magical sky being exists. It is something that one learns through experience.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #138 on: July 23, 2022, 01:29:41 PM »

Logic is not given by whatever magical sky being exists. It is something that one learns through experience.

Some of that experience involves giving an ear to logical arguments you were previously disposed against.  Thinking the whole thing through to its logical conclusion.
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #139 on: July 23, 2022, 02:15:52 PM »
« Edited: July 23, 2022, 03:01:52 PM by TheReckoning »

Stuff like this is why the anti-abortion extremists are some of the most repulsive people in the country. I can't even begin to imagine the state of absolute degeneracy you would have to be in to twist yourself into thinking that forcing a raped child to carry a pregnancy is the right thing to do. These are the most disgusting people American politics, by far.

A human life begins at conception. Under what circumstances it was conceived is irrelevant- just as how a born person is valuable regardless of the circumstances of how they were created, the same is true of an unborn person. And if standing up for all human lives makes me “the most disgusting person in American politics” according to DaleCooper on talkelections.org… so be it.

Again you are taking your personal philosophical positions and asserting them as incontrovertible fact, and then acting overdramatic when some people don't agree with you.

I literally believe innocent human beings are being murdered with absolutely no repercussions for the murderers. I think a person who believes that, and does nothing about it, is more morally dubious than someone who believes that and doesn’t do anything about it, regardless of any political issues at play.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #140 on: July 23, 2022, 04:00:26 PM »

Stuff like this is why the anti-abortion extremists are some of the most repulsive people in the country. I can't even begin to imagine the state of absolute degeneracy you would have to be in to twist yourself into thinking that forcing a raped child to carry a pregnancy is the right thing to do. These are the most disgusting people American politics, by far.

A human life begins at conception. Under what circumstances it was conceived is irrelevant- just as how a born person is valuable regardless of the circumstances of how they were created, the same is true of an unborn person. And if standing up for all human lives makes me “the most disgusting person in American politics” according to DaleCooper on talkelections.org… so be it.

Again you are taking your personal philosophical positions and asserting them as incontrovertible fact, and then acting overdramatic when some people don't agree with you.

I literally believe innocent human beings are being murdered with absolutely no repercussions for the murderers. I think a person who believes that, and does nothing about it, is more morally dubious than someone who believes that and doesn’t do anything about it, regardless of any political issues at play.

Ferguson97 actually brought up a surprisingly good point. If you really believe this then why aren't you taking up arms and killing abortion doctors or holding pregnant women seeking an abortion hostage so that they give birth? I'm serious. If I sincerely believed that babies were being murdered next door, I like to think that I would be brave enough to go in and put a stop to it, even if it meant using lethal force. If you're going to have these stupid beliefs at least admit that you're too cowardly and pathetic to do anything about it. If your only answer to "millions of babies being torn limb from limb!" is to post on Atlas about it then you're as guilty as those Uvalde police that were playing Candy Crush while those kids got shot.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #141 on: July 23, 2022, 04:11:20 PM »

Ferguson97 actually brought up a surprisingly good point. If you really believe this then why aren't you taking up arms and killing abortion doctors or holding pregnant women seeking an abortion hostage so that they give birth? I'm serious. If I sincerely believed that babies were being murdered next door, I like to think that I would be brave enough to go in and put a stop to it, even if it meant using lethal force. If you're going to have these stupid beliefs at least admit that you're too cowardly and pathetic to do anything about it. If your only answer to "millions of babies being torn limb from limb!" is to post on Atlas about it then you're as guilty as those Uvalde police that were playing Candy Crush while those kids got shot.

Yup.

You don’t even have to go as far as killing an abortion doctor.

If you heard your neighbor say, “I’m going to shoot my husband” and saw her walk over to him with a gun, maybe you’d try and disarm her and physically restrain her to prevent her from killing him. You’d be a hero for preventing a murder.

Now if instead the woman said, “I’m going to get an abortion” and saw her walk to her car, would you try and physically restrain her from going to the clinic so she cannot get an abortion? 

If you believe that abortion is murder, then there is no moral difference between killing your husband and getting an abortion. So why stop one murder but not the other?
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #142 on: July 23, 2022, 06:31:30 PM »

Some of that experience involves giving an ear to logical arguments you were previously disposed against.  Thinking the whole thing through to its logical conclusion.

Get used to it mate. 'No Religion' is growing quickly.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #143 on: July 23, 2022, 06:55:24 PM »

Get used to it mate. 'No Religion' is growing quickly.

Scripture says all of this will happen:

2 Thessalonians 2:1–3
The New King James Version
The Great Apostasy

2 Now, brethren, concerning the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ band our gathering together to Him, we ask you, not to be soon shaken in mind or troubled, either by spirit or by word or by letter, as if from us, as though the day of 1Christ had come. 3 Let no one deceive you by any means; for that Day will not come unless the falling away comes first, and the man of sin is revealed, the son of perdition,

What happens happens.  I wish for all to come to Jesus and be Saved, but not all will.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #144 on: July 23, 2022, 07:00:37 PM »

I can't imagine anyone being comfortable with making children (even as young as ten!) giving birth to children.  How sick can you be to live with yourself and yet hold that view?
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #145 on: July 23, 2022, 07:17:49 PM »

I can't imagine anyone being comfortable with making children (even as young as ten!) giving birth to children.  How sick can you be to live with yourself and yet hold that view?

How sick can you be to want to snuff the life of an unborn child out?  That's a fair question.  My unborn grandchild felt pain when aborted, more pain than you would accept if it were a convicted murderer dying by lethal injection.  (Yes, I can fight melodrama with melodrama.)

🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #146 on: July 23, 2022, 08:07:24 PM »

Why aren't you in Tijuana right now playing superhero against the human traffickers?
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #147 on: July 23, 2022, 08:42:18 PM »

Yup.

You don’t even have to go as far as killing an abortion doctor.

If you heard your neighbor say, “I’m going to shoot my husband” and saw her walk over to him with a gun, maybe you’d try and disarm her and physically restrain her to prevent her from killing him. You’d be a hero for preventing a murder.

Now if instead the woman said, “I’m going to get an abortion” and saw her walk to her car, would you try and physically restrain her from going to the clinic so she cannot get an abortion? 

If you believe that abortion is murder, then there is no moral difference between killing your husband and getting an abortion. So why stop one murder but not the other?

Because it wouldn’t be effective. The women would call the police, I’d get put in prison for assault/kidnapping (losing the ability to vote for pro-life politicians), and then the women would get the abortion anyway, and moderates on the fence would look at me and say, “pro lifers are wackos. I’m against them.”

Basically, a similar reason to why democracies don’t invade dictatorships to liberate the populace- it will probably cause more problems than solve, just not be worth it in the end, and people are scared of the consequences.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #148 on: July 23, 2022, 08:44:08 PM »
« Edited: July 23, 2022, 08:49:39 PM by Ferguson97 »

Because it wouldn’t be effective. The women would call the police, I’d get put in prison for assault/kidnapping (losing the ability to vote for pro-life politicians), and then the women would get the abortion anyway, and moderates on the fence would look at me and say, “pro lifers are wackos. I’m against them.”

So the only reason you wouldn’t kidnap a woman trying to get an abortion is because you think you’d probably get caught?

I can't imagine anyone being comfortable with making children (even as young as ten!) giving birth to children.  How sick can you be to live with yourself and yet hold that view?

How sick can you be to want to snuff the life of an unborn child out?  That's a fair question.  My unborn grandchild felt pain when aborted, more pain than you would accept if it were a convicted murderer dying by lethal injection.  (Yes, I can fight melodrama with melodrama.)

Do you think your daughter/daughter-in-law is a murderer? Do you think they’re going to Hell for murdering their own child? If they gave birth and smothered their newborn, would you feel differently?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #149 on: July 23, 2022, 08:52:35 PM »

Why aren't you in Tijuana right now playing superhero against the human traffickers?

Presumably because he doesn't claim that situation is the literal equivalent (and/or an order of magnitude worse than) the Holocaust?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies