Republican AG says he'll investigate Indiana doctor who provided care to 10-year-old rape victim
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:09:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Republican AG says he'll investigate Indiana doctor who provided care to 10-year-old rape victim
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7
Author Topic: Republican AG says he'll investigate Indiana doctor who provided care to 10-year-old rape victim  (Read 4740 times)
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: July 20, 2022, 11:29:36 AM »

If you have a Republican avatar when THIS is the kind of morally repugnant sh!t that party is pushing now, then yes, I do think far less of you.

There comes a time when silence IS betrayal.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #101 on: July 20, 2022, 12:46:58 PM »

If you have a Republican avatar when THIS is the kind of morally repugnant sh!t that party is pushing now, then yes, I do think far less of you.

The Republican Party has abandoned moral conservatives, most of whom now identify as right-wing independants. Even if they still vote GOP for whatever reason, they refuse to identify as "Republicans".
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #102 on: July 20, 2022, 12:48:44 PM »

Stuff like this is why the anti-abortion extremists are some of the most repulsive people in the country. I can't even begin to imagine the state of absolute degeneracy you would have to be in to twist yourself into thinking that forcing a raped child to carry a pregnancy is the right thing to do. These are the most disgusting people American politics, by far.

A human life begins at conception. Under what circumstances it was conceived is irrelevant- just as how a born person is valuable regardless of the circumstances of how they were created, the same is true of an unborn person. And if standing up for all human lives makes me “the most disgusting person in American politics” according to DaleCooper on talkelections.org… so be it.

If you're too dumb to figure out that an unborn life is less valuable than the life of a born child then yes you're one of the most disgusting people in American politics. Even a lot of the most rabid pro-lifers are mature enough to admit that in cases like this, but not you apparently.
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #103 on: July 20, 2022, 12:54:53 PM »

The Republican Party has abandoned moral conservatives, most of whom now identify as right-wing independants. Even if they still vote GOP for whatever reason, they refuse to identify as "Republicans".

Of course, as the GOP descends into even further anti-democratic and morally repugnant depths this will ultimately become a difference without distinction.

Just another reason why I wish we had a multi-party system instead of our duopoly, so that perhaps people who are 'socially/economically Conservative' but still believe in a tolerant constitutional democracy could form their own party without having to align themselves with the ilk of the growing alt-reich.
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #104 on: July 20, 2022, 01:02:20 PM »

Stuff like this is why the anti-abortion extremists are some of the most repulsive people in the country. I can't even begin to imagine the state of absolute degeneracy you would have to be in to twist yourself into thinking that forcing a raped child to carry a pregnancy is the right thing to do. These are the most disgusting people American politics, by far.

A human life begins at conception. Under what circumstances it was conceived is irrelevant- just as how a born person is valuable regardless of the circumstances of how they were created, the same is true of an unborn person. And if standing up for all human lives makes me “the most disgusting person in American politics” according to DaleCooper on talkelections.org… so be it.

If you're too dumb to figure out that an unborn life is less valuable than the life of a born child then yes you're one of the most disgusting people in American politics. Even a lot of the most rabid pro-lifers are mature enough to admit that in cases like this, but not you apparently.

Lmao, there’s no magic in the uterine lining that makes life go through some transformation in value while being born. 
VBM
VBNMWEB
YaBB God

« Reply #105 on: July 20, 2022, 02:32:28 PM »

Lmao, there’s no magic in the uterine lining that makes life go through some transformation in value while being born. 

Is a zygote’s life just as valuable as a fully grown person?
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #106 on: July 20, 2022, 02:46:21 PM »

Ascribing “value” to a life is difficult (is a murderer just as “valuable” as the person who cures cancer?) but if you’re asking me if I believe that a zygote has a right to life just like a fully grown person, the answer is yes.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #107 on: July 20, 2022, 03:14:10 PM »
« Edited: July 21, 2022, 09:08:58 AM by Goldwater »

Ascribing “value” to a life is difficult (is a murderer just as “valuable” as the person who cures cancer?) but if you’re asking me if I believe that a zygote has a right to life just like a fully grown person, the answer is yes.

Okay, for the sake of argument let's assume that a zygote does have the right to life. Wouldn't the right to self-defense still apply to the 10 year old in this case?
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #108 on: July 21, 2022, 12:34:59 AM »

Abortion is the killing of the innocent human life, regardless of the circumstances.

All innocent life ought to not be killed. If an innocent human life is killed, their ought to be an investigation and prosecution.

Children's bodies are not meant to give birth. The innocent life here is that of the child who was raped, not of a clump of cells. This is ghoulish.

There are two (2) innocent human lives here.  Their interests were, at certain levels, at odds.  The unborn child was, however, no less human than it's mother, and the tragic circumstances of the conception do not diminish the humanity of the unborn child one iota.

What are people's capacity for love here?  The capacity to love a 10 year old child who's suffered something awful and who will have ongoing special medical and emotional needs, coupled with the capacity to love a newborn who would come into the World through tragic circumstances, but who is innocent, blameless, and undeserving of a painful death.

That this is life at its most difficult goes without saying, but there is the easy thing and the right thing here.  For myself, I would be prepared to turn my life upside down to bring all here to wholeness safe and sound.

My own situation is nowhere near as awful, but my 17 year old son is a step-grandson whose parents' lives went off the rails.  My prayer when it became clear that he would be ours to raise going forward was "God, don't let me fail that boy!".  That was a decision I made; I was not going to fail him, and with God's help, I haven't.  This situation is 10,000 more difficult, but to get through it requires making a decision to see the right thing through.  And my main priority would be on making my 10 year old daughter whole, if I were in that Father's situation.

The idea that the 10 year old would have the abortion and then just go on with her life is, likely, wishful thinking.  A 10 year old is certainly not ready to RAISE a child, but what happens when that 10 year old becomes a 20 year old with the belief that she KILLED that child?  Please don't tell me that doesn't happen; in my days as a counselor, I knew more than one female client who had remorse over abortions, and this child will not comprehend the whole of the act of an abortion until later.  How sideways could THAT go?  Now none of that has any impact as to the humanity of the child, either, but this idea that abortion negates the trauma of situations like this is simply not a given.

DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #109 on: July 21, 2022, 12:49:16 AM »

The actually born child is a more valuable life than the fetus. Every sane person, including most pro-lifers, are mature enough to admit this. If you're unable to admit that then you're a pretty sick person who has rotted his brain on pro-life political propaganda.

To help you get the point, imagine that a pregnant mother is in some strange situation where she either has to lose her pregnancy or lose the life of her already born child. I think we all know what every not crazy woman would choose in that hypothetical situation. And no, that doesn't mean I'm saying that miscarriages aren't tragic so don't shovel a bunch of fake outrage BS my way about how I'm being mean or dismissive about that, but surely we can be emotionally intelligent enough to recognize the world of difference between an independently existing human and a fetus.

To use another example, imagine that you're in a burning building and there's an actual man trapped inside, but you only have time to either save him or a petri dish with a couple fertilized eggs in it that is also trapped inside. Again, unless you're sick in the head, you know what the right answer is in that situation.

At this point I'm not even talking about abortion anymore. I'm talking about valuing the lives of human beings. Saying that a fetus is equal to someone who exists and is viable outside the womb is as much a devaluation of human life as it is an elevation of the value of fetuses, and that's bad. It's every bit as dangerous if not more so than the environmentalists who think trees are more valuable than the lives of human beings.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #110 on: July 21, 2022, 01:52:53 AM »

The idea that the 10 year old would have the abortion and then just go on with her life is, likely, wishful thinking.  A 10 year old is certainly not ready to RAISE a child, but what happens when that 10 year old becomes a 20 year old with the belief that she KILLED that child?  Please don't tell me that doesn't happen; in my days as a counselor, I knew more than one female client who had remorse over abortions, and this child will not comprehend the whole of the act of an abortion until later.  How sideways could THAT go?  

The odds of her becoming a "life begins at conception" pro-lifer in the future, after dealing with this nightmare brought on by the wishes and votes of those people (who caused Gorsuch Kavanaugh ACB, and now call her a murderer) is probably low, but not totally zero.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #111 on: July 21, 2022, 08:31:04 AM »

The idea that the 10 year old would have the abortion and then just go on with her life is, likely, wishful thinking.  A 10 year old is certainly not ready to RAISE a child, but what happens when that 10 year old becomes a 20 year old with the belief that she KILLED that child? 

If anyone were to try and tell this girl that she "killed her child", they are a horrible person. Full stop.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #112 on: July 21, 2022, 09:07:43 AM »

Abortion is the killing of the innocent human life, regardless of the circumstances.

All innocent life ought to not be killed. If an innocent human life is killed, their ought to be an investigation and prosecution.

Children's bodies are not meant to give birth. The innocent life here is that of the child who was raped, not of a clump of cells. This is ghoulish.

There are two (2) innocent human lives here.  Their interests were, at certain levels, at odds.  The unborn child was, however, no less human than it's mother, and the tragic circumstances of the conception do not diminish the humanity of the unborn child one iota.

What are people's capacity for love here?  The capacity to love a 10 year old child who's suffered something awful and who will have ongoing special medical and emotional needs, coupled with the capacity to love a newborn who would come into the World through tragic circumstances, but who is innocent, blameless, and undeserving of a painful death.

That this is life at its most difficult goes without saying, but there is the easy thing and the right thing here.  For myself, I would be prepared to turn my life upside down to bring all here to wholeness safe and sound.

My own situation is nowhere near as awful, but my 17 year old son is a step-grandson whose parents' lives went off the rails.  My prayer when it became clear that he would be ours to raise going forward was "God, don't let me fail that boy!".  That was a decision I made; I was not going to fail him, and with God's help, I haven't.  This situation is 10,000 more difficult, but to get through it requires making a decision to see the right thing through.  And my main priority would be on making my 10 year old daughter whole, if I were in that Father's situation.

The idea that the 10 year old would have the abortion and then just go on with her life is, likely, wishful thinking.  A 10 year old is certainly not ready to RAISE a child, but what happens when that 10 year old becomes a 20 year old with the belief that she KILLED that child?  Please don't tell me that doesn't happen; in my days as a counselor, I knew more than one female client who had remorse over abortions, and this child will not comprehend the whole of the act of an abortion until later.  How sideways could THAT go?  Now none of that has any impact as to the humanity of the child, either, but this idea that abortion negates the trauma of situations like this is simply not a given.

Don't you dare. Don't you God damn Double Dare try to rap the Unspeakable horror what you and your Taliban like ilk are forcing this little girl to go through as somehow being equivalent to "love". You can take that self-sanctimonious smarmy nicey nice piety and shove it. You aren't enforcing this Fiat out of "love". Leave that to her mother who knows a million billion times better than some old coot in Florida as to what is best for her physically and emotionally scarred daughter then some person who will never meet her.

I'd say there'd be no death to the amount of Shame you should feel for this post, but we already know this is beyond you and your ilk. Pound salt old man.

Furthermore, don't you dare talk about protecting this little child's Mental Health because there are some women who indeed regret after abortion so you and your pastor and other churches praise them around on stages as if they are victims of the mean old abortion industry having hypnotize them into getting an abortion. The ugly facts for you is the vast majority of women who had an abortion are at least comfortable with their decision. It may not be a pleasant experience, but let's just say it's a tiny bit better than say being a 10 year old being forced to give birth to their rapist child?

The mask is off. You and your ilk are literally no better than the goddamn taliban. I'm done with you. You are on ignore long ago with your incessant whining and bitching that anyone calls you out on your foolishness whether about the big lie or your sanctimonious wanting to turn America into it theocracy to satisfy your own fundamentalist intolerant beliefs, but I'm so glad I peeked at your post and had the chance to call you out on this complete and utter b*******. Have a nice day.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #113 on: July 21, 2022, 09:20:14 AM »

The odds that a 20 year old woman would be psychologically traumatized over having an abortion at age 10 because she has since decided that abortion is murder and morally wrong even in such a situation would be minuscule compared to the odds that a 20 year old woman would be psychologically traumatized after giving birth at age 10.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #114 on: July 21, 2022, 12:46:51 PM »

The odds that a 20 year old woman would be psychologically traumatized over having an abortion at age 10 because she has since decided that abortion is murder and morally wrong even in such a situation would be minuscule compared to the odds that a 20 year old woman would be psychologically traumatized after giving birth at age 10.

Yeah. From these scenarios..

- Raped as a 10 year old, possibly by father or uncle
- Pregnant for 9 months including the baby kicking, morning sickness
- Giving birth as a 10 year old, maybe had some chance of dying
- Had an abortion when 10, ended the life of the fetus

... which do you think is most likely to cause deep trauma that requires therapy, and which do you think is least likely? Seems obvious to me.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #115 on: July 21, 2022, 08:19:23 PM »

... which do you think is most likely to cause deep trauma that requires therapy, and which do you think is least likely? Seems obvious to me.

Why would it be obvious?

If a child is raped and becomes pregnant, the likelihood of deep trauma that requires therapy is very high. Beyond that what basis is there for saying for sure whether abortion or birth would be more likely to compound the trauma? 
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #116 on: July 21, 2022, 08:35:57 PM »

Why would it be obvious?

If a child is raped and becomes pregnant, the likelihood of deep trauma that requires therapy is very high. Beyond that what basis is there for saying for sure whether abortion or birth would be more likely to compound the trauma

I just don't even know what else to say at this point. If you honestly don't grasp what pregnancy and birth do mentally and physically to a body of any age, much less a preteen carrying her adult rapist's baby, I guess you're just going to have to take the word of people who do.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #117 on: July 21, 2022, 08:52:19 PM »

The emotional trauma for the 10 year old is one aspect of it, but we need yet another reminder that the physical trauma may be far worse.

Children’s bodies are not meant to give birth. Dr Dalia Brahmi, the Director of Clinical Affairs at Ipas told me: “It is cruel to force a 10-year-old girl to carry her pregnancy to term”.

Dr Brahmi, who once worked at the World Health Organization in the Department of Reproductive Health and Research, told me: “very young adolescents [under 15 years old] have a high risk of eclampsia, infection, preterm birth and intrauterine growth restriction” compared to adult women.

The dangers are clear – and it takes a whole lot of magical thinking or straight up denial to think otherwise. Pregnancy for a child risks not only her emotional and mental health, but her physical health and possibly even her life.

But midwives and doctors who work in countries where pregnancy is common in young adolescent girls say those pushing for very young girls to carry pregnancies to term may not understand the brutal toll of pregnancy and delivery on the body of a child.

“Their bodies are not ready for childbirth and it’s very traumatic,” said Marie Bass Gomez, a midwife and the senior nursing officer at the reproductive and child health clinic at Bundung Maternal and Child Health Hospital in Gambia.

The critical issue is that the pelvis of a child is too small to allow passage of even a small fetus, said Dr. Ashok Dyalchand, who has worked with pregnant adolescent girls in low-income communities in India for more than 40 years.

“They have long labor, obstructed labor, the fetus bears down on the bladder and on the urethra,” sometimes causing pelvic inflammatory disease and the rupture of tissue between the vagina and the bladder and rectum, said Dr. Dyalchand, who heads an organization called the Institute of Health Management Pachod, a public health organization serving marginalized communities in central India.

“It is a pathetic state particularly for girls who are less than 15 years of age,” he added. “The complications, the morbidity and the mortality are much higher in girls under 15 than girls 16 to 19 although 16 to 19 has a mortality twice as high as women 20 and above.”
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #118 on: July 21, 2022, 08:58:41 PM »

Why would it be obvious?

If a child is raped and becomes pregnant, the likelihood of deep trauma that requires therapy is very high. Beyond that what basis is there for saying for sure whether abortion or birth would be more likely to compound the trauma?  

https://c.tenor.com/JEj4FA-lXdEAAAAM/confused-jaguarsfan.gif

I just don't even know what else to say at this point. If you honestly don't grasp what pregnancy and birth do mentally and physically to a body of any age, much less a preteen carrying her adult rapist's baby, I guess you're just going to have to take the word of people who do.

Why would I take your word for it?  I would take the word of women who had been through this or something similar, and had either had an abortion or given birth. The problem is we know that women don't all respond the same way in either situation.  What do you say to the women raped at a young age who regret their abortions and those who do not regret giving birth?  
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #119 on: July 21, 2022, 09:06:41 PM »

Your kind forcing these beliefs on everyone is why No Religion is the fastest growing 'Religion'.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #120 on: July 21, 2022, 09:07:25 PM »

Why would it be obvious?

If a child is raped and becomes pregnant, the likelihood of deep trauma that requires therapy is very high. Beyond that what basis is there for saying for sure whether abortion or birth would be more likely to compound the trauma

Why would I take your word for it?  I would take the word of women who had been through this or something similar, and had either had an abortion or given birth. The problem is we know that women don't all respond the same way in either situation.  What do you say to the women raped at a young age who regret their abortions and those who do not regret giving birth?

Obviously I would say "I respect your opinion but also recognize you're in the extreme minority." What else would you expect me to say?

There are plenty of testimonials out there of women who gave birth as a preteen if you honestly don't grasp how horrific it is.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #121 on: July 21, 2022, 09:11:03 PM »

Why would it be obvious?

Why would I take your word for it?  I would take the word of women who had been through this or something similar, and had either had an abortion or given birth. The problem is we know that women don't all respond the same way in either situation.  What do you say to the women raped at a young age who regret their abortions and those who do not regret giving birth?

Obviously I would say "I respect your opinion but also recognize you're in the extreme minority." What else would you expect me to say?

There are plenty of testimonials out there of women who gave birth as a preteen if you honestly don't grasp how horrific it is.

Oh they do understand how horrific it is, they just don't care. A common pattern with conservatives of all stripes.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #122 on: July 21, 2022, 09:13:58 PM »

Why would it be obvious?

And abortion isn't horrific?

I'm asking what is your evidence that they are in the extreme minority?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #123 on: July 21, 2022, 09:19:43 PM »

CONTEXT
A 2008 report by the American Psychological Association found no evidence that an induced abortion causes mental health problems in adult women. No conclusions were drawn with respect to adolescents because of a scarcity of evidence.

METHODS
Data from the National Longitudinal Study of Adolescent Health were used to examine whether abortion in adolescence was associated with subsequent depression and low self-esteem. In all, 289 female respondents reported at least one pregnancy between Wave 1 (1994–1995) and Wave 2 (1996) of the survey. Of these, 69 reported an induced abortion. Population-averaged lagged logistic regression models were used to assess associations between abortion and depression and low self-esteem within a year of the pregnancy and approximately five years later, at Wave 3 (2001–2002).

RESULTS
Abortion was not associated with depression or low self-esteem at either time point. Socioeconomic and demographic characteristics did not substantially modify the relationships between abortion and the outcomes.

CONCLUSIONS
Adolescents who have an abortion do not appear to be at elevated risk for depression or low selfesteem in the short term or up to five years after the abortion.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #124 on: July 21, 2022, 09:43:41 PM »

CONTEXT
A 2008 report by the American Psychological Association found no evidence that an induced abortion causes mental health problems in adult women. No conclusions were drawn with respect to adolescents because of a scarcity of evidence.

METHODS
Data from the National Longitudinal Study of Adolescent Health were used to examine whether abortion in adolescence was associated with subsequent depression and low self-esteem. In all, 289 female respondents reported at least one pregnancy between Wave 1 (1994–1995) and Wave 2 (1996) of the survey. Of these, 69 reported an induced abortion. Population-averaged lagged logistic regression models were used to assess associations between abortion and depression and low self-esteem within a year of the pregnancy and approximately five years later, at Wave 3 (2001–2002).

RESULTS
Abortion was not associated with depression or low self-esteem at either time point. Socioeconomic and demographic characteristics did not substantially modify the relationships between abortion and the outcomes.

CONCLUSIONS
Adolescents who have an abortion do not appear to be at elevated risk for depression or low selfesteem in the short term or up to five years after the abortion.

note what this study is actually measuring:
Finally, because this study was intended to address the effect of abortion, we did not compare adolescents who became pregnant with their nulliparous peers to examine whether pregnancy itself contributes to poor mental health outcomes. A previous analysis of Add Health data found that teenage mothers had higher levels of psychological distress than their childless peers before and after they became pregnant.46 Childbearing itself was not associated with the development of distress, but social disadvantage was strongly related to poor mental health.

The baseline comparison is to those who who pregnant but did not have an abortion.  So what this study is mainly saying is they can't find a statistically significant mental health outcome overall - better or worse - for abortion compared to those who gave birth.   Though with a somewhat small study (n=289), perhaps they are missing something. 
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies