Opinion of the plays discussed in this video
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 10:55:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Opinion of the plays discussed in this video
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
FP

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 4

Author Topic: Opinion of the plays discussed in this video  (Read 653 times)
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 08, 2022, 09:41:18 PM »
« edited: July 08, 2022, 09:45:32 PM by Sol »

Video is a bit long but very interesting--it's basically a humorous discussion of extremely high production value passion plays produced by a Canadian megachurch wherein Christ is replaced by a pop culture character. So for example there's a play which is a parody of The Avengers, but where Iron Man is crucified by Loki to a mashup of "It's The End Of The World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)" and "Tubthumping."

Posting this not as an excercise in "making fun of the fundies" but rather because this seems tailor-made to appeal to various atlas hobbyhorses--from references to the sociocultural demographics of Manitoba to the kind of odd pop-culture vocabulary of much of North American conservative Protestantism.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2022, 12:04:18 AM »

I haven't yet watched the video (I'd certainly like to, but I haven't blocked out an hour and a half yet), but I'm reminded from your description of this scene from maybe the funniest movie I've ever seen, Drop Dead Gorgeous:

If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2022, 12:32:50 AM »

a mashup of "It's The End Of The World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)" and "Tubthumping."

Oh boy, is it time for another round of "Chumbawamba were actually a product of the '80s British anarcho-punk scene and 'Tubthumping' was implicitly and later explicitly a satire of New Labour?"

I wish I had more to say about this content that I dearly appreciate, but I will note that I've been writing a pair of weird gonzo thinkpieces about recent experiences of mine lately that deal heavily with conceptions of kitsch and the Spectacle and sundry 21st century detritus and may appear on this Secular Blog at some point. A few posters here have already read the current form of one of them, which I'm planning to post on this board soon.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2022, 10:19:20 AM »

This was a tremendous and hilarious video. These plays really reach a level of blasphemy I didn't think a church would intentionally hit.

These plays also demonstrate, in the most exaggerated way, why the Passion and Resurrection really shouldn't be "compressed" narratively. In all of these, the crucifixion, death and resurrection happen in the span of 2-3 minutes (with some dramatic music to drag it out). The most important part of the Resurrection is that Jesus actually died, and was actually dead for 3 days (really it more like 40 hours, but that's a tangent). That's the key part of Jesus being a man, that he genuinely experiences death.

You don't get that sense from any of these plays (or most simplified Easter stories) and that's a real shame because it emphasizes how shocking and important the Resurrection was

nicholas.slaydon
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2022, 01:09:19 PM »

This video was absolutely hilarious. I am already a fan of Jenny Nicholson, and this was quite different from what she usually does, and yet still right up her alley. The plays themselves were quite frankly just a joke, and quite a funny joke at that, showing the hollowness of evangelical Protestantism, and the general lack of veneration and fear of God that is definitional of Protestantism these days. The plays themselves were actually quite impressive on a technical level, and clearly they put a lot of work into them, though no matter how much effort they put into these blasphemous plays, they still won't attract members to their church. It's this sort of stuff, that is so common to evangelical Protestantism especially, that treats the scriptures and the figures portrayed therein with such little respect and veneration, that how could any of these churches expect to convince people of the truth of their religion when they treat their own faith and the figures of it with such little respect?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies