Any justice ready to declare to be a prostitute a constitutional right?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:20:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Any justice ready to declare to be a prostitute a constitutional right?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Any justice ready to declare to be a prostitute a constitutional right?  (Read 1494 times)
David Hume
davidhume
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: 1.22

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 06, 2022, 08:12:15 PM »

To be a prostitute may be considered as self autonomy of ones own body. It may even be considered as deeply rooted in history and tradition, since it was allowed in ancient times.

I guess William Douglas may be one to vote yes. Alito would be a no. Roberts likely no, because declaring so would damage the image of SC.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2022, 09:02:08 PM »

I think that recognition of such a right is a pretty ignored (hence why I don't think even Sotomayor has ever tried to subtly recognize one in dissent) yet possibly likely extension of Griswold if/when a liberal SCOTUS majority is ever again a thing.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2022, 12:43:33 PM »

I think that recognition of such a right is a pretty ignored (hence why I don't think even Sotomayor has ever tried to subtly recognize one in dissent) yet possibly likely extension of Griswold if/when a liberal SCOTUS majority is ever again a thing.

I'm not sure the modern left would even want such a right to be recognized.  Such an expansive ruling could have adverse impacts on sexual harassment and public health laws the modern left strongly favors.  Realistically, COVID probably ended the era of super expansive privacy rights as a left wing legal cause.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2022, 02:28:26 PM »

I guess William Douglas may be one to vote yes.

For more reasons than one!
David Hume
davidhume
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: 1.22

P P
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2022, 04:12:26 PM »

If SC ever did so, this would be huge, probably even more than Dobbs, as this would strike down all laws banning prostitution. And this would be more unpopular than Dobbs. Even feminists would not want it, as they view prostitution exploitation and objectification of women.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2022, 04:26:54 PM »

If SC ever did so, this would be huge, probably even more than Dobbs, as this would strike down all laws banning prostitution. And this would be more unpopular than Dobbs. Even feminists would not want it, as they view prostitution exploitation and objectification of women.

The most avid support for legalized sex work in this country, outside of random horndog dudes, is from feminists. (Though sometimes that Venn diagram overlaps!).
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2022, 07:34:18 PM »

I guess William Douglas may be one to vote yes.

For more reasons than one!
Douglas was perhaps the only Justice of his era who didn't.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2022, 07:50:21 PM »

Ironically, maybe Kavanaugh or Thomas would be willing to, given their past histories before joining the Supreme Court...
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2022, 10:22:46 PM »

The most avid support for legalized sex work in this country, outside of random horndog dudes, is from feminists. (Though sometimes that Venn diagram overlaps!).

So is some of the most avid ideological/principled (as opposed to "it just grosses me out") opposition, though.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2022, 04:34:01 PM »

I dont think such right could ever be justified or supported based off any understanding of the legal history of the last several centuries, so it would have to be a nonsense Kennedy "mysteries of the universe" argument.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2022, 11:10:45 AM »

I'm not sure the modern left would even want such a right to be recognized.  Such an expansive ruling could have adverse impacts on sexual harassment and public health laws the modern left strongly favors.  Realistically, COVID probably ended the era of super expansive privacy rights as a left wing legal cause.
Yeah I think one path for the democrats involves becoming more like a european leftist. Very pro social programs + generous welfare benefits, truly universal healthcare but more conservative on abortion, sexuality(sexuality as in actual sex, not sexual orientation), and drug issues
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2022, 10:44:15 PM »

I think there's a strong First Amendment case to be made against certain solicitation laws.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2022, 07:37:05 AM »

I'm not sure the modern left would even want such a right to be recognized.  Such an expansive ruling could have adverse impacts on sexual harassment and public health laws the modern left strongly favors.  Realistically, COVID probably ended the era of super expansive privacy rights as a left wing legal cause.
Yeah I think one path for the democrats involves becoming more like a european leftist. Very pro social programs + generous welfare benefits, truly universal healthcare but more conservative on abortion, sexuality(sexuality as in actual sex, not sexual orientation), and drug issues

Well, either that (though that would be a complete U-turn) or more likely, Democrats are more resourceful. The two major events right now are 1) mixed raced voters shifting their priorities from Civil Rights to Religious and "consumer welfare" (in the Borkian sense as personified in DeSantis) issues and 2) China's string of unnecessary lock downs and genocides, Saudi Arabia's recalcitrance and assassinations, and Russia's military aggression. These two things are important because it opens the door of looking stronger for working people and civil rights by linking trade to human rights, and two deemphasizing immigration.

I think that would take the Democrats in a more "European" direction. Linking trade with civil rights and compromising (if not eventually caving) on immigraton. That would probably win back a lot of voters in places like Montana, Iowa, Minnesota, and maybe some in places like Missouri, Ohio, and Wyoming.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies