If Biden wins the Electoral College, does he remain President?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:55:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  If Biden wins the Electoral College, does he remain President?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Well?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 27

Author Topic: If Biden wins the Electoral College, does he remain President?  (Read 505 times)
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 03, 2022, 02:48:54 PM »

I think that the Supreme Court will endorse the ISL theory and allow the GOP state legislatures to award the election to the Republican nominee. January 6, 2021, failed because there were institutional checks and balances in place, which are being systematically removed as we speak. They will be gone by 2024.

As such, I'm voting No.

emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2022, 03:10:54 PM »
« Edited: July 03, 2022, 03:14:14 PM by emailking »

They can already just directly appoint the electors if they want to, like was common in the 18th and early 19th centuries. If they want, they can use a state funded poll (election) to advise that. SCOTUS has been pretty clear their power is broad here. They do have to give themselves the authority to do this before the election. So in Arizona maybe it's a problem. Not likely to hinge on Arizona though.

Also I accidentally voted No so take one away from that.
LostInOhio
United States
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2022, 04:47:53 PM »

States cannot just throw electors out and nominate their own slate of them. Even if the court were to rule in favor of ISTL, that ruling would revolve around gerrymandering and not a state just throwing out electors.

Trump tried this in 2020 and got slapped down multiple times by every court, including SCOTUS. Did people just forget about that?
MassTerp94
Rookie

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2022, 04:57:38 PM »

Federal law mandates the electors be appointed by the first Tuesday in November. So they still would not be able to throw out votes. What I am frightened by is the prospect that they will cancel the popular vote before the election-but there will be inevitable lawsuits under the 14th Amendment (depriving the people of rights without due process), and that will likely cause civil war.
Utah Neolib
YaBB God
Antarctica

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2022, 05:19:17 PM »

States cannot just throw electors out and nominate their own slate of them. Even if the court were to rule in favor of ISTL, that ruling would revolve around gerrymandering and not a state just throwing out electors.

Trump tried this in 2020 and got slapped down multiple times by every court, including SCOTUS. Did people just forget about that?
Not even Clarence Thomas or Alito would somehow support appointing false slates of electors. 
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2022, 05:30:42 PM »

Not even Clarence Thomas or Alito would somehow support appointing false slates of electors. 

I'm not sure about those 2, but the obsession here with SCOTUS allowing this is getting very annoying.   
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2022, 05:32:49 PM »

I think that the Supreme Court will endorse the ISL theory and allow the GOP state legislatures to award the election to the Republican nominee. January 6, 2021, failed because there were institutional checks and balances in place, which are being systematically removed as we speak. They will be gone by 2024.

As such, I'm voting No.

There is something wrong with your head.
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2022, 05:37:02 PM »

Touch grass
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2022, 09:34:17 PM »

Yes, but it's likely going to have to be past any "plausible deniability".
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies