Which state is more liberal on LGBT rights? Utah or Wyoming?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:41:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Which state is more liberal on LGBT rights? Utah or Wyoming?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
Utah

Wyoming

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 36

Author Topic: Which state is more liberal on LGBT rights? Utah or Wyoming?  (Read 804 times)
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 01, 2022, 05:26:08 PM »

This is a tough one.  One is more secular and individualistic, while the other is more urban.
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -1.04

P P
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2022, 06:13:21 PM »

Utah, because of SLC
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2022, 06:14:52 PM »

Utah's governor, who was not even the most liberal Republican in the primary, has pronouns in his bio.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2022, 06:16:21 PM »

I would probably guess something like SLC>Wyoming>Rural Utah.
TransfemmeGoreVidal
Fulbright DNC
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2022, 09:21:57 AM »

I would probably guess something like SLC>Wyoming>Rural Utah.

I was actually going to say Wyoming because it's more Libertarianish and their are pockets like Teton County that have a sizable gay community but your probably right on this.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2022, 10:10:10 AM »

It probably depends on what part of each state you're in, but I'd say Utah. Utah has a statewide LGBTQ nondiscrimination ordinance that was negotiated alongside the LDS Church. Utah was recently rated one of the best states for LGBTQ people to live in. IIRC all the GOP candidates for Governor showed up to an Equality Utah forum during their last primary race. Not saying everybody's pro-gay rights, but there's definitely a more welcoming trend in Utah politics.
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2022, 10:23:15 AM »

I've heard SLC is gay friendly. Not sure if WY has anywhere like that, Teton county doesn't count because its unaffordable.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2022, 10:36:17 AM »

It probably depends on what part of each state you're in, but I'd say Utah. Utah has a statewide LGBTQ nondiscrimination ordinance that was negotiated alongside the LDS Church. Utah was recently rated one of the best states for LGBTQ people to live in. IIRC all the GOP candidates for Governor showed up to an Equality Utah forum during their last primary race. Not saying everybody's pro-gay rights, but there's definitely a more welcoming trend in Utah politics.

Yeah the LDS Church, while pretty deeply homophobic, is more sincere about a kind of "love the sinner, hate the sin" attitude towards LGBT people than most other churches in America and genuinely goes to bat sometimes for nondiscrimination laws. Utah is probably the least homophobic state where Trump cleared 55%, except maybe Montana.

That's not to say that it's not extremely homophobic however!
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2022, 03:18:40 PM »

I've heard SLC is gay friendly. Not sure if WY has anywhere like that, Teton county doesn't count because its unaffordable.

The stereotype of SLC is that it's where all of the queer kids from elsewhere in the state migrate to after breaking with the Mormon church, and there's certainly a strong community of as much there. A certain LGBT culture also persists at BYU in spite of the obvious adversity there. Nowhere in Wyoming has nearly that concentration, in part of course due to it being far less urban. Utah also has a surprising amount of anti-discrimination protections for what one might expect, though I don't know how much of that originates from legislative vs judicial action.
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2022, 05:30:57 PM »

Wyoming was of course where the most notorious anti-gay hate crime in recent American history happened. Just one incident, but combined with everything else, it starts adding up to Utah as the obvious answer here.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2022, 06:26:37 PM »

I'd still say Wyoming.  Salt Lake City has a larger and more visible gay community than anywhere in either state, but the history of the LDS Church on gay rights is far, far from affirming.  Wyoming is overall much more secular.

*Plus if we're being honest and throw in lesbians, then it's gotta be Wyoming! 
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2022, 06:29:43 PM »

I'd still say Wyoming.  Salt Lake City has a larger and more visible gay community than anywhere in either state, but the history of the LDS Church on gay rights is far, far from affirming.  Wyoming is overall much more secular.

*Plus if we're being honest and throw in lesbians, then it's gotta be Wyoming! 

Wyoming is still one of the more Mormon states, and has no shortage of Evangelicals either. The association of both groups with movement conservatism over the past half century has greatly influenced the culture of such places beyond those affiliated with them or even those affiliated with religion at all, and the famed tradition of Mountain West civil libertarianism is generally considered to include as many Ruby Ridge types as Frank Church admirers, if not more.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2022, 06:55:34 PM »

Utah's governor, who was not even the most liberal Republican in the primary, has pronouns in his bio.

I've found Spencer Cox to be a real oddity.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies