Public Office of the White House
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:06:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Public Office of the White House
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8
Author Topic: Public Office of the White House  (Read 6228 times)
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 01, 2022, 11:44:48 AM »

Right then, about time I got this set up. Welcome to the public White House thread – as you can see, while I will obviously copy announcements and signings and things over from the government thread, this is also a space for both official and unofficial business and for members of the public to comment if they so desire. A meal will be ready soon if you care to wait around for it; if not, please do have a few biscuits from that jar on the table.

White House
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue
Nyman, D.C.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2022, 11:50:18 AM »

What were you and DTC talking about in that picture? Tongue
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2022, 11:55:11 AM »

What were you and DTC talking about in that picture? Tongue

He stopped by to offer some Georgia peach cobbler for the inaugural dinner. Very kind of him.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2022, 11:56:34 AM »

Text of the inaugural speech is now up here for public release:

Inaugural Address

Nyman, D.C.

Mr. Chief Justice, Madam President, Mr. Vice President, Mr. GM, members of the Cabinet, Senators, Lincolners, Southerners, Frémonters, my fellow Atlasians. Thanks for making it.

I don’t know about you – at least those of you who haven’t been president yet – but for someone who joined two years ago, watching inaugurations past has always seemed very routine and unassuming, passing responsibility from one to the other without much actually changing in the grand scheme of things, and at the moment it feels much closer to a proper handover than anything else I’ve experienced so far. Some of it might be the observer effect. Some of it may come on a personal level from observing a certain other July 1 handover. A decent part of it might be the observation of an actual Federalist swearing in as president, which I am sure Wulfric among others isn’t likely to forget in a hurry.

Whatever it may be, this is an administration in broad brush devoted to many of the same principles that have guided past Presidents regardless of party. We need, above all, activity and an AFE and AFG that welcomes and if possible incentivizes participation from the common poster, and I can only promise my own full dedication to activity on the part of the Oval Office – I will be working, just as all of us here today need to be working, toward that same commitment to greater activity on everyone’s part. We are a nation in increasing need of commitment to security – on various international fronts, with regard to our food and everyday needs, on energy and environmental matters, on the economic front, in relation to the life and safety of every Atlasian in this nation.

We can, as this administration fully intends to do, carry out our collective commitment to securing activity and security without jeopardizing the stability of the nation; without the legalistic morass that its past enemies have held up as a boogeyman; and without abandoning the democratic principles that it inherited from two centuries of tinkering. We can have activity without being an active danger to ourselves or to others. We can have security in our nation without throwing away the friendships and strenths that have made Atlasia the greatest nation in the world.

I am going to make a fair number of decisions, and I can assure you here and now that every one of them will be made with you the players in mind, with the prospects for further activity, engagement, and development of both our in-game and metagame prospects. This administration needs to fix things and we will undoubtedly hear from you as we go about that task – it would be hard not to hear what the rest of this game has to say. But as a President in this time, in this unique situation, I am absolutely going to listen well. And I need you with me.

As far as speeches go, I’ve made my fair share – certainly the esteemed GM, among others, can attest to it – but this one has been a first for someone far more accustomed to delivering them from truck flatbeds in Iowa or in sharecroppers’ fields in Louisiana or in fluorescently lit community centers on the South Side. I may be up here now physically, but I want everyone present to know I still stand first and foremost with those places and the people who inhabit them, and I will not abandon them as president. We’ve gone too long without the regions realizing their full potential as part of a vision of governance not myopically focused in on Nyman. I will engage, and my administration will engage, and I call upon the regions to join me in the issues that lie ahead of us. We’re going to have a federalist and Federalist administration again.

We are going to take the people and the regions and a philosophy of restraint back to the table where they rightfully belong. We are going to have a game that people can enjoy playing again, a game fixed and capable of running on the inevitable frictions that arise between players at mutual odds without sparking fires that corrode its gears and shafts, a game that in time may even attract new players like the one that wandered into Fantasyland a little over two years ago and decided to run for a lowly regional by-election on a whim.

We are going to have fun again. And as your President, I invite all of you present here to join me in making that a Fantasyland reality.

Thank you, everyone, for listening. Dave bless you all, and Dave bless the Republic of Atlasia.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2022, 12:48:06 PM »

Quote from: EO 57:01
EXECUTIVE ORDER
To aid in national reconciliation for a previous wrong

1. Pursuant to Executive Order 56:06, an NPC federal commission is hereby established in order to determine the extent of damages caused by former members of the federal government in relation to the unrest occurring in Kansas and surrounding regions during the months of March and April 2022.

2. The commission shall include at least one individual appointed by the Attorney General of Atlasia, at least one individual appointed by the Southern Attorney General, at least one individual appointed by the Attorney General of Frémont, and at least one individual each appointed by the respective state attorneys general of Kansas and any surrounding states reporting violence during the course of events described in section 1.

3. The findings of the commission shall be made available to the Game Moderator.

Joseph Cao, President of the Republic of Atlasia

The ongoing fallout in Kansas from the events of a couple of months previous is a priority that needs to be addressed swiftly. This executive order expands on one previously issued by President UNL and establishes an NPC commission to formally assess the extent of the damages as an in-universe complement to the findings provided by the GM to date.

Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2022, 01:12:38 PM »

I know presidential signatures for overridden bills aren't normally done, but we have had all of two or three successful veto overrides in post-reset history and the relevant precedent is being set as we speak anyway. Plus I want to indulge the narcissist part of my brain just a bit. Tongue

Signing statement

Don't think much needs to be said about this that hasn't been said already. We as elected officials have a vested interest in protecting hardworking Atlasians from interest rates that place an undue burden on their financial health. This bill returns a modicum of control over multiregional banks' interest rates to the regions, who are and have been best placed to pass bills that better reflect their constituents' needs. It is a properly Federalist bill and a bill that helps the Atlasian people and I'm proud to sign it.

Quote from: Utah Neolib
Madam President, the following bill has passed the Senate and awaits your signature or veto:

ANDREW JACKSON MEMORIAL BANK-KILLING ACT

1. Section 85 of the National Banking Act (NBA) 12 USC §85, which permits federally charter banks to charge interest rates in States and Regions in excess of State or Regional interest rate caps, is hereby repealed. This Act shall take effect sixty (60) days after being ratified.

Passed 11-2-1-3 in the Atlasian Senate assembled,

Joseph Cao, president pro tempore
Veto.

Veto overridden 12-3-0-2 in the Atlasian Senate assembled,

Joseph Cao, president pro tempore

Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2022, 01:32:22 PM »

Quote from: EO 57:01
EXECUTIVE ORDER
To aid in national reconciliation for a previous wrong

1. Pursuant to Executive Order 56:06, an NPC federal commission is hereby established in order to determine the extent of damages caused by former members of the federal government in relation to the unrest occurring in Kansas and surrounding regions during the months of March and April 2022.

2. The commission shall include at least one individual appointed by the Attorney General of Atlasia, at least one individual appointed by the Southern Attorney General, at least one individual appointed by the Attorney General of Frémont, and at least one individual each appointed by the respective state attorneys general of Kansas and any surrounding states reporting violence during the course of events described in section 1.

3. The findings of the commission shall be made available to the Game Moderator.

The ongoing fallout in Kansas from the events of a couple of months previous is a priority that needs to be addressed swiftly. This executive order expands on one previously issued by President UNL and establishes an NPC commission to formally assess the extent of the damages as an in-universe complement to the findings provided by the GM to date.

This has been seen. Hoping to get updates and/or messages for the incoming Administration done today.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2022, 01:58:47 AM »

Quote from: EO 57:02
EXECUTIVE ORDER
To provide continuity in the NSC

1. West_Midlander is hereby appointed to the National Security Council.

I have vacated the seat on the NSC which I’ve held since November, and to maintain its composition I am formally appointing Senator West_Midlander to replace me. This also helps to ensure we continue to have a smoothly operating NSC going forward as we unravel the crises happening around the world.

West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: 1.22

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2022, 02:17:20 AM »

Thank you very much for the appointment, Mr. President.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2022, 12:05:35 AM »

Quote from: EO 57:03
EXECUTIVE ORDER
To make provisions for the diligent and constructive conduct of foreign affairs

1. Scott, of the state of Wyoming, is hereby nominated to be Secretary of State.

Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2022, 01:32:51 AM »

Over the past few days I've fielded quite a number of congratulatory calls and updates from various world leaders. The UK Prime Minister, PM Kishida, PM Draghi, Chancellor Scholz, and others around the world have been understandably concerned with recent events even after President UNL's statements at the G7 summit last month and I have been continuing to remain in touch with them. I won't go into detail about them all – though the Latin American leaders have been especially sympathetic for some reason – but it has convinced me in no uncertain terms that a more truly global framework is needed where our foreign policy is concerned with focuses on areas which have flown under the radar. There will be more developments on this front.

Separately I've also conferred with Presidents Choe of the DPRK and Lee of the ROK regarding how they are going to proceed with the implementation of the Panmunjom Framework, and with President Tsai regarding the ongoing developments in Taiwan.

On a related track I have also nominated FM and former President Scott to be Secretary of State, which fills the last major hole in the Cabinet that we have been rebuilding since April. Scott's tenure in literally every other single office the game has to offer should speak more than adequately to his commitment to a smoothly running game in general and emphasizing the impact of fopo in particular, and I hope the Senate will have a fair and speedy confirmation hearing.

An unofficial NSC meeting, sans Secretary of State, has been convened to bring the other members up to date on most of this.

Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2022, 01:42:04 AM »

This update came at an unusually late hour even by my standards, for which I must plead executive time and also, on a related note, offer my congratulations to the International Congress of Mathematicians and Prof. June Huh of Princeton University (and formerly of the Great Lakes) for the immensely engaging lectures and a significant achievement in winning the Fields Medal. Keep up the good work.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2022, 11:19:52 AM »

I’m very glad to see the Senate has approved the revocation of a previously proposed storyline that would have put Taiwan in very similar straits to Hong Kong a few decades prior. The unofficial NSC meeting has taken note of this and I hope (as do the people of Taiwan, I am sure) that we’ll have some more substantial updates to chew on the next time we have a proper meeting with the State position filled.

Last session we proposed a constitutional amendment to provide an extra layer of protection for the elections officers positions from the kind of abuse that was attempted in the run-up to the April election. Apparently the Labor whipping operation can be very motivated to turn out when there comes a chance to vote down something they don't like. I’d say to explain the parts of the amendment they found unsatisfactory but nobody did for some reason.

On a related note I would like to urge all Lincolners to get to the polls this weekend and have a look at the candidates on the ballot, as I will also be doing shortly. You never quite know what you will find – or fail to find, in the case of everyone who failed to explain why they were running, though in such cases I find a vote for candidates with an actual history of past engagement with the game’s minutia tends to be the right one.

Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2022, 11:21:32 AM »

The WH press room is now open for questions until Monday evening.
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -0.35

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2022, 11:56:05 AM »

Will the administration be submitting a budget soon?
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2022, 12:37:37 PM »

This isn't a question as much as it is a request. You should implement Critical Belief of Dreadnought at the federal level because the South won't pass it on their own anytime soon and I know you're a man of culture.
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2022, 03:24:20 PM »

WB of the Gulf Coast Sun here. Now that the Taiwan update has been officially revoked from canon, and of course pending an update from the GM, what is the administration’s plan to proceed forward during the crisis?
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2022, 03:42:27 PM »

Assuming that Lumine steps down, do you have someone in mind for GM?
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2022, 04:54:09 PM »

How does the administration plan to deal with inflation?

What policy direction does the administration intend to take with respect to Iran?

OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.26

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2022, 10:44:54 PM »

will I be charged for the damages incurred to the White House bathrooms? I’ll have you know I’m fully insured…
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2022, 11:31:46 PM »

Not currently registered in Atlasia, but I would register in heartbeat if promised the GM 's position, FYI.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2022, 11:53:47 PM »

Not currently registered in Atlasia, but I would register in heartbeat if promised the GM 's position, FYI.
I support this proposal
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2022, 01:17:46 AM »

Register first then you will be promised.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2022, 01:29:43 AM »

Will the administration be submitting a budget soon?

I have an internal deadline to have the budget fleshed out by the last week of July and to be introduced no later than the beginning of August, which was the usual deadline until we started the continuing-resolution handball of the past couple of years. And I am not looking forward to having Fantasyland math to do on top of existing levels of math, other math, and work math, let me tell you people that.

WB of the Gulf Coast Sun here. Now that the Taiwan update has been officially revoked from canon, and of course pending an update from the GM, what is the administration’s plan to proceed forward during the crisis?

That will obviously depend on which direction the GM takes, but short of China launching an all-out war we are going to continue trying to work the diplomatic table. China has been rather inflexible about giving any kind of diplomatic recognition whatsoever to Taiwan but depending on how the Scott administration's airlift has been proceeding we could very well help Taiwan outlast their blockade, at which point they certainly will have to revise their strategy downward somehow.

We're still looking into it. I know WB has had the GM system proposal he's working on and how big of a role the GM plays in that proposal compared to its current position will factor into who might be most suitable for the job. Obviously I'm looking for someone familiar and willing to engage with existing canon preferably in as many creative ways, though again the WB proposal might relieve some of that burden on an individual GM-designate.

Whoever it is, however, it certainly will not be NYE or anyone else who wants it for chits and giggles.

Forumlurker said some time ago he'd only take the role of determining in-game events on once he knew more about the canon – you know, what actually goes on in the game. Maybe the other people who snark in private about "who pays attention to the GM anyway" can tell me what they think of that. On a related note…

How does the administration plan to deal with inflation?

What policy direction does the administration intend to take with respect to Iran?

We will launch an immediate government program to convert all our existing money printers into the following critical additions to our military forces:

thereby helping to kill two birds with one stone.

will I be charged for the damages incurred to the White House bathrooms? I’ll have you know I’m fully insured…

Remember when Sev and I had to have your House office cleaned up because nobody told us the blue dog wasn't potty trained? Yeah.

Register first then you will be promised.

Not even a fortnight and people are trying to enmesh this administration in patronage scandals, I see how it is. Sad!
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2022, 12:06:38 AM »

Your tax dollars at work, folks. Isn't it great?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies